The Preset Exchange

• Not sure, that is very practical and adds value.

The Rigs in Rig Exchange include PROFILEs which are unique in the sense, that nobody can create a PROFILE without the orginal amp and setup. And the name of the original amp is a precise identifier.

Presets are just a few parameter settings, which every PROFILER user can easily reproduce without the preset - just dialing the knobs. So, you might end up finding hundreds of presets for an effect like Mouse with just two relevant parameters under given names, which only make sense for their authors. Thirty of those Mouse presets just vary by volume or don't vary at all. If you want to test Mouse with different levels of Drive, isn't it more practical to dial the Drive knob instead of browsing through presets "little drive", "lots of drive", "full drive" "John's Mouse", "ProCo Rat 3", "Fitziputzli", which could be all over the place? Instead of loading somebody's Output Preset "SPDIF = Git / Master Mono", which screws most of your other output settings, why not just setting your SPDIF output source to "Git / Master Mono" as intended?

I think, the PROFILER comes with a good set of preinstalled presets as examples and as starting points. We have just added a few more wah presets helping to set the parameters to simulate specific famous wah pedals. The rest are presets that user create for their specific applications and environments under names, which are meaningful to them. There is little to no value in sharing most of these.

• There is little to no value in sharing most of these.

Most, of those, you're right!

But in some cases a preset exchange would be very helpful in my opinion.

In my special case I would like to share some Synth-Presets e.g.

But in fact that I'm using commercial profiles exclusively, I can't load them into the Rig Exchange. Sure, I could delete the profile and upload it then.

But thought further, some fine delay, wah, tremolo settings could be published there inspired by real pedals...

It's a good idea, I think.

• Two questions:

1. What are your synth presets really? Are these presets of single effects? If so, which effects?

2. Don't you think, that these synth presets require some context? Perhaps the better place is to open a thread in the private forum, include some explanations what you are using these for, and attach a zip-file with those presets. Or if these are based on effects with just a handfull of parameters, perhaps just list these settings. Your Tremolo example .... there are just four relevant parameters. You could publish: Rate x, Depth y, Crossover z, Stereo w, gives a great tone for....

Currently we ship new units with three Tremolo presets preinstalled: Classic, Fast, and Slow. If there are really one or two relevant Tremolo presets missing, I would rather add these to the factory content. Let me know! I guess even more Tremolo presets would just be minor variations.

I'm afraid if many users just stuff all kinds of preset-files into a big database, how would you identify what's relevant for you? We could end up with 1000 completely unstructured delay presets or even more.

• i think is better to open a thread and upload the presets there.

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• I'm afraid id if many users just stuff all kinds of preset-files into a big database, how would you identify what's relevant for you? We could end up with 1000 completely unstructured delay presets or even more.

So the Rig Exchange is structured? :/ Naahh...

I get the con's, but also there are pro's for sure and it would bring more value.

Maybe in a few years ^^

• Greatly appreciate the interaction Burkhard.

This idea started with me finding some free presets on a commercial profile maker's site, some of which sounded decent to me, and which also reminded me of a thread here where a member has gathered a bunch of various Wah settings that try to mimick various flavors of actual, "classic" wah pedals. I immediately felt like it would be cool to be able to browse presets that other people have made. Kind of like eating at a friend's house, the food never tastes the same, even if it's the same dish etc. But I didn't consider the logistical side of it, obviously. :P I still think some version of my idea could have a place *somewhere*. Maybe a sub-sub-subforum for posting/exchanging presets would be a more feasible idea? Anyway, just a thought! :)

• Interesting thread this one.
    There may be some scope for having an FX chains section, where members could share FX chains they have arranged/programmed/dialed in for specific songs/styles/textures.
    Yes, this is bound to be subjective (just like the rig exchange) but for people trying to nail particular artists sounds, it might provide a better than average starting point.
    The FX chains would need some form of reliable tagging so that they don’t become a huge jumble of nonsense.
    Those tags should include:-

Profile Type e.g. Marshall JCM 800
    Pick up type intended by the author

Morph settings eg boost, gain, delay tails

Artist signature sound

Original sound (by genre/amp type)

If those chains could include the morphed parameters, that might be quite a powerful tool to get into a sound’s ball park.
    There could be different sections that address different styles and or genres and amp types.
    It would keep all these useful tools in one central place, via Rig Manager and save searching through the forum for something on a page from 2014 or some other time.
    I can see why countless versions of members MXR comp tweaks might be a tedious trawl though presets when it would be quicker to tweak a compressor slot yourself. However, I for one have spent hours fine tuning FX chains to achieve some of the tones I use. Some of them might just save someone else a big headache.
    Cheers

Pre -AMP

• If the intend is to reproduce complete artist sounds, why wouldn't these include an amp and a cabinet? Why not preparing a complete signal chain from module A to REV including the stack? And that is what we call a Rig.

• So the Rig Exchange is structured? :/ Naahh...

I get the con's, but also there are pro's for sure and it would bring more value.

Maybe in a few years ^^

Yes, fair comment, but that is a different discussion. Does Rig Exchange need more structure e. g. separating Rigs, which are focussed around a particular amp and cabinet PROFILE from others, which are focussed around a particular artist sound.

• Greatly appreciate the interaction Burkhard.

This idea started with me finding some free presets on a commercial profile maker's site, some of which sounded decent to me, and which also reminded me of a thread here where a member has gathered a bunch of various Wah settings that try to mimick various flavors of actual, "classic" wah pedals. I immediately felt like it would be cool to be able to browse presets that other people have made. Kind of like eating at a friend's house, the food never tastes the same, even if it's the same dish etc. But I didn't consider the logistical side of it, obviously. :P I still think some version of my idea could have a place *somewhere*. Maybe a sub-sub-subforum for posting/exchanging presets would be a more feasible idea? Anyway, just a thought! :)

I see the value of sharing wah presets which simulate particular classic wah pedals. And we did take a "scientific" approach to measure those classic pedals to determine the corresponding wah settings, shared these in this forum ... and just recently with OS 7.5 we added 12 of those to our factory content. So new users don't have to search for those in any preset exchange, but find those preinstalled on their PROFILER - out of the box. And installed base users benefit as well, if they just keep their pool of factory presets up to date.

That's why I mentioned, that if you really have suggestions for other classical stomp boxes and pedals which qualify for a preset, I'd rather add these to the factory content.

• Dear Burkard,
    Thanks for reminding me of the definition of a Rig. ?

As I tend to use commercial Profiles in many cases, I was erring to caution by suggesting sharing the FX chain only. I thought sharing rigs produced by third party commercial profilers was not allowed.
    That is why I suggested tagging that indicated what sort of profile would suit that FX chain to complete the rig. If someone produces a signature sound including a non-commercial profile, of course it could just go on the Rig Exchange.
    Other members could just grab the chain from that Rig, even if they don’t want to use that profile. Maybe this is a way to do use Rig exchange for FX chains. Members attach their chain to a basic agreed free Rig and agreed tagging to help sort it all.
    Just thinking out loud really....

Now can someone please explain what this plank of wood with six strings and all these buttons and knobs is for? I think it’s called a geetarr or something like that...

?

Cheers

Pre-Amp