Burden of a Choice - with a lot of angry/ugly sounds

• Originally I had a very different vision for this tune, but the day I tracked the guitars I was very angry about an injustice done to my son so it rubbed off on the tune. I seem to have used only angry/ugly sounds using my different fuzz and octavio boxes as well as fuzz and rectifiers in the Kemper.
    Hope the anger doesn't turn you off.

Monkey_Man Very little LC here. :D

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Indeed Mats, except for some of the phrasing in the lead break. :D

Love the movie-score-type percussion syncopation; you don't hear it much outside the theatre.

Well done, mate. 8)

Thanks, MM!
    So LC invaded even this track. LOL!
    I've just finished a few tunes that's definitely inspired by LC and you can probably hear it in the first few notes.

Cheers,

Mats N

• I like it - I would describe the emotional quality as determined, not as angry.

Hi Paul!

Well, if the guy who caused my son the grief came to my house, he would most probably realize that i was determined to try to kick his lower back. :D

Joking aside, now that you mention it, I can hear that too. Thanks!

Cheers,

Mats N

• Thanks, MM!
    So LC invaded even this track. LOL!

Yup.

Listen to 2:18 -> 2:32 and you'll see what I mean. There's plenty of it there - mostly phrasing, and to a lesser extent, note-choice. :D 8)

• As above, this would make a great movie soundtrack. I dint get an angry feel. I actually found it more uplifting. And I hope all is well with your son! Well done!

Hi Southdakota,

Thank you for your interesting comment. There's certainly not "minor feel" to the tune so I think you may have gotten it right.

My son is doing much better.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Tjena Mats. Well done and good sound / mix :thumbup:

When going from G to B flat, and with that synth bass. I hear Donna Summer

in the back of my head singing " I feel love , I feel love , I feel love .... " :)

But that´s me ...... :wacko:

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Hej Hoki Toki,

Reminding someone of a Georgio Moroder is definitely not a bad thing.

I was almost thrown out of the Royal Conservatory of Music in Gothenburg (Musikhögskolan) when I wanted to do an assignment on Donna Summer's "She Works Hard For The Money". It wasn't considered real music and the recording used the dreaded synthesizer which was not considered a real instrument for real musicians.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Loved your fuzz tones , they really qualify as distorted to me as they sound pretty clean for fuzz tones

but , yes music is the cure :)

Thanks, Waraba!
    I really want to get some fuzzy fuzz sounds and I got three different fuzz boxes in that tune in addition to the internal Fuzz DS stomp in the KPA but for some reason they end up sounding like distorsion. Maybe I just don't possess the mojo to make them sound right.

Cheers,

Mats N

• I really want to get some fuzzy fuzz sounds and I got three different fuzz boxes in that tune in addition to the internal Fuzz DS stomp in the KPA but for some reason they end up sounding like distorsion. Maybe I just don't possess the mojo to make them sound right.

I'm sure you got the mojo , but handling these little wild boxes is not an easy task especially at mix stage , my most expensive boutique fuzzbox often sounds like a dist too on my mixes. Getting a super wild tone is easier with not that subtle boxes like a cheap SF300 on me. It's also a matter of amp profile and the interaction between. But at mix stage a fuzz track often takes most of the bandwith so it's really hard to mix and keep good overall mix.

• I'm sure you got the mojo , but handling these little wild boxes is not an easy task especially at mix stage , my most expensive boutique fuzzbox often sounds like a dist too on my mixes. Getting a super wild tone is easier with not that subtle boxes like a cheap SF300 on me. It's also a matter of amp profile and the interaction between. But at mix stage a fuzz track often takes most of the bandwith so it's really hard to mix and keep good overall mix.

Very interesting. What amp profiles do you like with your fuzzes?

Cheers,

Mats N

• Very interesting. What amp profiles do you like with your fuzzes?

It ranges from cameron CCV ( to give another dirty color to the CCV) to clean fenders ( warm clean pedal platform ) and my own profiles. It really depends on the song early stage development and I will always tweak both amps and fuzz on the fly while recording and double tracking. What's clear is that you can really mess up things at a super early stage, and EQ post DAW often removes the grit of a wild full take. All this is then a matter of balance .

I highly suggest you take a look at Bommel's fuzz collection in is huge profile packs.