Creating a Profiles Encyclopedia Website - Refined>>

• Edit 10-27-2020 Check Photos on the bottom to see some refinements....im still interested in doing this. May just launch eventually.....?

Heyyyyyyy Yallll

So ive got a question and hoped this part of the forum it would be alright to hit a post here. Looking for the communities thoughts, guidance and opinions.....

Ive got an itching to create a website of some sort that details a Collected source of anyone that makes profiles commercial or non Paid profiles?
    I envision a one stop place that lists out the profiles makers, the style of profiles (high gain/cleans/Covers all....ect)...a simple, PRETTY looking to the point list so to speak.
    In this place you can simply be directed right to their homepage, preview the home page off a single image and gain some context of the person/company/profiler. PS Not individual profiles or amps.

What i need from you folks is firstly am i allowed to do this? Has it already been done, and/or failed?
    If so does this seem like something you think we would benefit from?

What i WONT do:
    -- Im not looking to take away from this forum in any way.

-- Im not interested in making some sort of profit from this (possibly one of those choose your own donation links in future?)
    -- Not looking to make a copy of rig exchange.

I dont have 100% details worked out as i envision this to be a website thats open for suggestions and able to improve upon and all that jazz.

The reason i feel compelled to do this....is i will claim i'm NO expert but have ran through 40,000 some kemper files from a crap ton of commercial/third/free parties, you name it.

On top of that i'm always hunting for something i havent heard or the newest thing. Probably like alot of us are anyways.
    I was thinking if there was one spot to reference whats out there, how cool would that be?

I also enjoy helping folks and being a source of information or helping. So i have thoughts of a piece to the site able to make inquires on recommendations, where to start what to look at ect.

Anyways ive spent a few hours recalling what i remember from HTML and tweaking an old website for a different subject to put some concepts together for you to see where im headed. Alot of place holders for information however the structure is pretty much there.

Thanks for standing by if you still here reading... AND hit the Pics at the bottom for samples and toss me some thoughts!

Pic 1 Sample of the Home page...bear in mind i didnt change every element but just showing placeholders for stuff.

Pic 2 "the List page" Bread and butter of what its all about - again just a sample idea but the context of what it will look like.

Pic 3 Sample of the website when Hovering on the thumbnail - to help jar you memory if you have been to the website or not.

Thanks!!!

• Hi, Theyetti1.

First, it's always great to meet an enthusiastic person. Cheers!

I'm looking for a way your website would solve a problem for me. I'm sorry, I don't see it. I'm less interested in *who* made a profile and more interested in how I feel when I play one. This extra layer of metadata (profile author seems to be the central focus in your proposal), doesn't help me.

Please tell me, "What problem (of mine) are you solving with your site?"

• Hey man, thanks for putting some thought and effort into this. I'm not sure we need it 'though, 'cause we already have a thread in this subforum that brings all the commercial Profilers' names and links into one list:

List of all commercial profiles

What i WONT do:
    -- Im not interested in making some sort of profit from this (possibly one of those choose your own donation links in future?)

If you say you "WON'T do" and you're "not interested" in profit, why would you even consider donations? I'm not trying to be a smart-arse; this contradiction just jumped out at me.

• "Feel" would be pretty objective to each person....would you feel more inclined to pick a particular profiles someone says "feels natural" vs "feels real?"
    I would be interested in some sort of metadata field to replicate something like "feel" but it would have to detail something more specific...profilers to profile.
    What would you like to see....a feel category what types of terms would make sense?

Cheers

Rob

• Hey man, thanks for putting some thought and effort into this. I'm not sure we need it 'though, 'cause we already have a thread in this subforum that brings all the commercial Profilers' names and links into one list:

List of all commercial profiles

If you say you "WON'T do" and you're "not interested" in profit, why would you even consider donations? I'm not trying to be a smart-arse; this contradiction just jumped out at me.

Was not aware of the thread as seen here...located the link about 4 pages away.

Had not thought about the contradiction ...just being honest. Never had plans for adds and sponsors ect. Dont even know how to get into that anyways.

Ive seen music websites and the like allow their content downloadable for free. At the same time something at the bottom that if you choose to donate you click and it drops into a paypal or something.
    Just saying this to clarify my thoughts, but certainly its not a price for admission type of deal.

Obviously id intended to put some thought into this, and its something that really doesn't warrant any value from a customer side...

Cheers

• Hi Rob,

"Feel" would be pretty objective to each person....would you feel more inclined to pick a particular profiles someone says "feels natural" vs "feels real?"
    I would be interested in some sort of metadata field to replicate something like "feel" but it would have to detail something more specific...profilers to profile.
    What would you like to see....a feel category what types of terms would make sense?

Cheers

Rob

re: "Feel"

I wasn't setting out a problem statement for you to solve. However, I would be interested in a system that would tell me which profiles I would like. That sounds like an Artificial Intelligence, possibly Machine Learning approach. For example:

I provide examples of profiles I like; perhaps those I have marked as favorites or used in Performances.

The system scans through all known profiles on Rig Exchange or other similar repositories.

Then, the system would present me with profiles (or links to profiles) that I would enjoy.

Netflix is an easy example to consider. Netflix makes recommendations based on what I have told it I liked (thumbs up/thumbs down), and what I have previously watched. I can't begin to guess all the criteria it is using to make those recommendations, but I can guess that it includes the genre of the film, time frame (e.g., contemporary or period pieces), actors, male or female protagonists, length of film, whether I watched it all the way through or multiple times and then some things I might not even notice, like the studio that produced it, producers, directors, or where the film was shot, or the story was set. Other factors: the censor rating, IMDB rating, and Rotten Tomatoes score.

Now wouldn't that be fun. I could subscribe to get notifications whenever a new profile (or profile creator) became available.

Thinking out loud.

ST

• Was not aware of the thread as seen here...located the link about 4 pages away.

Had not thought about the contradiction ...just being honest. Never had plans for adds and sponsors ect. Dont even know how to get into that anyways.

I hear you, Rob, and thank you for clarifying, mate. ;)

Ive seen music websites and the like allow their content downloadable for free. At the same time something at the bottom that if you choose to donate you click and it drops into a paypal or something.
    Just saying this to clarify my thoughts, but certainly its not a price for admission type of deal.

Obviously id intended to put some thought into this, and its something that really doesn't warrant any value from a customer side...

Personally I'd consider it bad form to accept donations for something such as this, even 'though it might involve a bit of work, 'cause it wouldn't be providing Profiles for-download. The minute one takes that next step and offers Profiles for possible donation, one's entering commercial-Profiling territory.

The sorts of music websites you're referring to are of course offering artist content (songs), so IMHO they'd be in the same boat as the scenario I described above regarding commercial Profiling.

All just my unsolicited HO of course, Rob, so the usual caveats apply. :pinch:

• I would be interested in a system that would tell me which profiles I would like. That sounds like an Artificial Intelligence, possibly Machine Learning approach.

These kind of "systems" turn me off like NOTHING else on this planet! I don't want or ever need artificial intelligence to solve problems I don't have. I'm a strict "Bring Your Own Intelligence" type of guy, old school.

• Hi lightbox,

These kind of "systems" turn me off like NOTHING else on this planet! I don't want or ever need artificial intelligence to solve problems I don't have. I'm a strict "Bring Your Own Intelligence" type of guy, old school.

Unlike most of these systems, the idea I floated would be based on the participant's conscious decision to use the service.

• Hi again Rob ( Theyetti1 ), and lightbox

Let me articulate the "problem" in different terms.

Right now, there are 16,431 rigs in Rig Exchange. If I auditioned each one for a minute to find the ones I would like, that would take 275 hours. I'd like a way to find the 50 I'd enjoy and be notified when new ones are added.

For background information, my holy grail amp is a McIntyre BluesMaker II. When I got my Kemper, I profiled it though and you can find it in Rig Exchange under McIntyre.

There were only a handful made by amp guru John McIntyre. I stumbled across one over twenty years ago under a coat of dust in a little guitar store in a tiny town. I liked it so much, I tracked down one of the only other ones in existence and bought it too. Back then, as now - I couldn't tell you what it sounds like in comparison to other better-known amps. Since I don't know one amp from another by name (my lack of intelligence if you like), the names in Rig Exchange (or descriptions in commercial rigs) don't tell me anything useful.

Others with more experience could listen to my amp (profile) and say - "If you like that, you'd probably like "....".

That's what would I want - a non-verbal way to communicate what I like (e.g., I would provide profiles I like and use, music I play, music I like to listen to), and then get recommendations about profiles I would like and would likely use.

ST

• Others with more experience could listen to my amp (profile) and say - "If you like that, you'd probably like "....".

... or say - "If you like that, keep playing it. No need to keep searching." :)

I don't mean it in a bad way. There's very little point in searching, searching, searching. This other "you'd probably like" sound will find you right when you need it. Seriously, enjoy the journey and all the great moments on the way. Stay where you feel comfy, continue when you're bored.

Tastes and wishes can change in no time, depending on your mood or on the task at hand. I'm afraid you'd put wayyyyyyyy too much time in this project with very limited benefit for yourself (and probably even less for others).

And just to be very clear about why I'm so convinced of my "opinion" ... I had setup and maintained a Wiki (WiKPA) for the Kemper Profiler universe for a few years. There was VERY little interest and even less actual active help ... so at some point I gave it up and had someone else keep an archive of the content online.

I'm sure you have the best intentions, no doubt about that. But I highly recommend you to save the time for actual guitar playing and explore your own way through the world of amps, cabs, sounds. :)