Final Stage / Power Amp for the Kemper Profiler

• Two more questions when considering the Kemper Cabinet:

1) When I wanna use the full power of the cabinet, do I need a 200 * sqrt(2) = 282 Watt peak power amp?

so at least 282W means a 300W power amp?

2) Is it possible that a power amp with more than 282W can damage the Kemper cabinet at full volume? f.ex. a 300W, 400W amps?

the Kemper build-in power unit has 600W peak. Does it have a special electric circuit to prevent damaging a cab?

• Read Kemper Main Manual 7.5, page 90.

• Read Kemper Main Manual 7.5, page 90.

Thanks, so it tells me I need a Wattmeter in my third party power amp. And I have to check it, if I change the volume or using the bass boost.

My conclusion for a good power amp in general and for Kemper Cabinet:

--> Also prepared for future, diffrent setups / requirements

It should have :

• Class-D digital amplifier hardware with as linear as possible behaviour
    • at least 300 Watt peak power output
    • stereo output
    • 3 outputs or switch for diffrent speaker impedance: 4, 8 and 16 Ohm
    • Wattmeter

Did I miss something?

----> What about using a monitor or PA? do I need special outputs on my power amp for having those?

• FYI the Wattage Meter described in the manual is a feature inside powered Kempers. You could buy a separate wattage meter device I guess, but I wouldn't get one just to figure out what to use with the Kabinet.

Look at speaker specs from manufacturers like Celestion or Eminence, and you'll notice there's two power ratings listed -- an RMS and a rating twice the RMS called program power. You can usually pump twice the speaker's rated RMS power with program material and it should be fine. So in the case of the Kone, 200 W RMS rating should mean it'll safely handle 400 W of music/guitar pumped into it. Maybe more depending on the program material and how robust they decided to rate it. I wouldn't overthink it.

• Kinda right, Being honest 300 watts will be maybe too much, it all depends on the efficiency of your amp. I say just get a 200 watts amp of good quality per kone, they will do around 150 to 160 watts after efficiency taken in, that leaves you with an error margin so you never blow up a kemper kone for overpower.

For a PA you use your kemper main outputs, no need for the power amp to have a direct out. PAs are almost always self powered.

And as the friend before said, do not overthink it, just play it safe, and you will be fine. Also a Wattmeter is always helpful around the house, I would have one of those for checking the fridge or other domestic machinery out there anyway.

The answer is 42

• why is this Harley product so inexpensive and the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 200 so explansive? (6 times the price of he Harley)

I know the Harley is 130W and Duncan 200W and some more poti's but what makes it worth?

• why is this Harley product so inexpensive and the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 200 so explansive? (6 times the price of he Harley)

I know the Harley is 130W and Duncan 200W and some more poti's but what makes it worth?

Actually the HB is 210w at 4 Ohm, so they are roughly equal in power. Differences would be the power amp circuit inside and its quality (that I cannot verify), branding of course, ins and outs, and quality. Until hearing both and test both I cannot tell you the price of the SD is justified compared to the HB. But it goes along the lines, HB is always a lot of bang for your buck.

The answer is 42

• Actually the HB is 210w at 4 Ohm, so they are roughly equal in power. Differences would be the power amp circuit inside and its quality (that I cannot verify), branding of course, ins and outs, and quality. Until hearing both and test both I cannot tell you the price of the SD is justified compared to the HB. But it goes along the lines, HB is always a lot of bang for your buck.

Yeah... but a factor of 6 is ridiculous... :S

• Yeah... but a factor of 6 is ridiculous... :S

Branding goes a long way in the price, you can buy the same module as the PS 170 (Which is a 50ASX2 BTL from icepower) plus make your tone stack and case with the balance to unbalance converter, by around 100 bucks and a unit with the same characteristics. Tons of people have made their own, so it is not arcane magic. Seymour duncan + the nice case and manufacturing should have a 200 bucks influence on the prices. Harley benton is... well, not the best quality, but good enough.

The answer is 42

• A876BAAC-9687-4A3F-90DC-5CDD4B805E42_1_201_a.jpegI made a stereo setup with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 in stereo into wi VBoutique custom FRLR cabs building to Celestion specs for the FR12-200. VBoutique F12-X200 Cabs

• A876BAAC-9687-4A3F-90DC-5CDD4B805E42_1_201_a.jpegI made a stereo setup with a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 in stereo into wi VBoutique custom FRLR cabs building to Celestion specs for the FR12-200. Cabs

that's very nice! I see also a beer? haha

Btw has the powerstage 700 also those noicy uncontrolled fan? (like the PS200)