My bands new song

• Hi Franjoe30,

Thanks for sharing the link to your new song. I'm glad I followed it and listened.

using EZdrummer 2, EZbass and EZKeys

How many people are in your band Liberty Fallen performing in the recording?

ST

• Hi ST, thanks for checking it out. I play all the guitar parts and program the drums, bass and keys using Toontrack software and my buddy Ian sings. I write all the music and he writes all the lyrics and vocal melodies. There's just the 2 of us.

• Hey, Joe.

I love this genre of music and enjoyed the song. Nicely done, guitars sound great and a good mix overall.

I'm listening in the studio, with pretty decent acoustic treatment, over my reference monitors. The one thing that stood out to me is that the vocal is blurred into the background instead of popping out front, so I have to struggle a bit. This is easiest to notice on the first verse. After that the ears / brain begin to subconsciously compensate to hear the singer, which means it's also easy to miss if you've just been mixing for awhile without a break.

As you're working on final mixes, you might want to look at carving out some real estate for the vocal by seeing which instruments are prominent in the vocal frequency range and scooping out some eq on them to make room for the singer (gives you a cleaner result than trying to boost frequencies on vox).

Just an observation on an otherwise great song, hope it's helpful.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Thanks Chris, i'm always happy to receive constructive criticism, I'm really just a guitar player who tries his best to produce. I'll defintely check out what you are saying about. Thanks for the tip and thanks for listening to our song

• Thanks Chris, i'm always happy to receive constructive criticism, I'm really just a guitar player who tries his best to produce. I'll defintely check out what you are saying about. Thanks for the tip and thanks for listening to our song

You're doing great stuff, this is very much just a tweak to take it up a notch.

I use Cubase, and in 10.5 they introduced a new feature that lets you bring up two channels and overlay the eq so you can see where the overlaps are. I think there are third party eq plugins (probably FabFilter among others) that they got this from. I find it an excellent tool for this sort of thing, but of course if you don't have something like this you can just go back and forth between guitars, etc. and see what frequencies overlap with the lead vocal.

https://youtu.be/gDFG-DxpwVU?t=100

I know what you mean about being just a guitar player. No matter how long I do this there's always something new to learn, which keeps it fun.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10