Active/Passive Kemper Kabinet / Speak Imprints / Cabinet Simulation / PA

• Howdy Kempers

I'm a little confused with the constelation and terms of active & passive Kemper Kabinet / Speak Imprints / Cabinet Simulation / Monitor Cab-Off.

So what is the way to go (or what are the differences) to use the Kemper Profiler reasonable with a speaker/box.

They say the Kemper Kabinet can imprint speakers, how is that done? is it integrated in the Kemper Kabinet? or is it done by the Profiler? what about the simulated/profiled cabinets in the rig-profiles? can I use them properly only with a PA-speaker? or?

What is the diffrence between active an passive Kemper Kabinet? does it have a own integrated power amp? or just extra power supply? and why?

Thanks for helping me out =)

cheers

Marc

• Hi Marc, I try to give you the answers you need...

They say the Kemper Kabinet can imprint speakers, how is that done?

The speaker imprint is a specific "equalizer mask" applied by the profiler itself when you use the kemper Kone.

Kemper team has developed a specific "eq" response that - starting from the tecnical characteristics of the Kone - perfectly match the "imprint" model you choose to use.

is it integrated in the Kemper Kabinet? or is it done by the Profiler?

Kemper Kabinet has got Kemper Kone inside, so you can Use imprints with kemepr Kabinet (the algorithm is integrated into the profiler SW)

what about the simulated/profiled cabinets in the rig-profiles? can I use them properly only with a PA-speaker? or?

Yes they are intended to be used via PA Speakers, so, when you play live you can comnnect directly to the mixer and give the audience the mic'ed output sound. You can find a lot of studio profiles shooted with different type of mic, in order to choose your preferred sound according to your taste.

What is the diffrence between active an passive Kemper Kabinet? does it have a own integrated power amp? or just extra power supply? and why?

At the moment Kabinet is only Passive and you need a powered Kemper to run it. If you own a Stage or a Non-powered Head or Rack you can add a third party power amp in order to power the cabinet

Bye,,

Andrea

• So what is better for bandroom / home use? I guess more linear speakers/boxes are the best? Which one are the most linear ones? Monitor? PA? Kemper Kabinet?

I don't need alot of power, just sound output that the RIG profiles are as authentic as possible.

And what is the diffrence between a cabinet and a guitar speaker? or why they call it cabinet simulation and speaker imprint

the question also raises from following

Quote from Addendum

You probably use Direct PROFILEs in your live set, such as acoustic guitar sounds or bass Rigs. Direct PROFILEs
    are marked by having the cabinet module set to “Empty” and feature a full-range sound that will be very unpleasant
    through a traditional guitar speaker. Therefore, in Speaker Imprint mode (Monitor Cab Off active), when switching to
    a Direct PROFILE, KEMPER Kone will automatically switch to full-range mode for that Rig. No preparation required!

It means that running direct amp profiles without cab with a speaker imprint makes no sense, because its not a cabinet simulation?

• Only you can decide what is better for your band room or home use.

What do you mean "authentic as possible?" Authentic amp & cab sounds? Or authentic DI sounds? This choice is also up for you to pursue.

Read Kemper Main Manual 7.5 page 92-93, "The Sound of Guitar Cabinets versus Mic'ed Speakers" to understand the choices you have available and why you'd choose one over another.

The Kabinet is more versatile than a regular guitar cab. With a regular guitar cab, you have one characteristic sound. With the Kabinet you have a variety of characteristic sounds with Kemper's Speaker Imprints.

• So what is better for bandroom / home use? I guess more linear speakers/boxes are the best? Which one are the most linear ones? Monitor? PA? Kemper Kabinet?

I don't need alot of power, just sound output that the RIG profiles are as authentic as possible.

And what is the diffrence between a cabinet and a guitar speaker? or why they call it cabinet simulation and speaker imprint

Remember 2 important things that could help you to choose what you want:

1. Speaker imprints are true speaker sounds simulation: it means that the sound it recreaets is the authentic pure sound of that specific speaker NOT MIC'ED. So, for example, you can use it if you have not a P.A. for you band and if you want to use ONLY your Kemper Cabinet (or a cabinet that you own in which you have swapped the regular 12" speaker with a kemper kone), or for "monitor-in-a-room" sound purpose on stage. Of course you have to power the Kemper Cabinet in some way if you don't own a powered kemper.

2. If you plan to go live direct into the P.A. system or for home studio work, connect kemper with the PA. with the main outs and use Studio/Merged profiles that represent the situation in which a specific cabinet is correctly mic'ed (so the sound you hear into commercial records of our favorite guitarists).

• Only you can decide what is better for your band room or home use.

What do you mean "authentic as possible?" Authentic amp & cab sounds? Or authentic DI sounds? This choice is also up for you to pursue.

Therefore I have to know the differenc between Monitor, PA, guitar speaker and cabinet.

With authentic as possible, I mean no coloring the sound of the Kemper RIG profiles (amp & cab) with wrong speaker hardware choice. I guess it should be a linear full-range flat-response (FRFR) output device? but which one is good for home / bandroom use? I like to have good tone in small rooms (no concert halls).

Is the Kemper Kabinet FRFR? are Monitors FRFR? PA?

• Kabinet or some cab with Kone is what you probably need. But you are asking questions that you can easily answer yourself if you read basic materials: Main manual and Addendum 7.5

• Kabinet or some cab with Kone is what you probably need. But you are asking questions that you can easily answer yourself if you read basic materials: Main manual and Addendum 7.5

I believe the Kone is moving to much air, I think I have a better sound quality with speakers for lower volume? or is the Kone also perfect for quiet playing at home/bandroom (alone with no drummer)?

• I believe the Kone is moving to much air, I think I have a better sound quality with speakers for lower volume? or is the Kone also perfect for quiet playing at home/bandroom (alone with no drummer)?

Volume level's got nothing to do with whether you should choose the Kone or not. You can play it quiet if you want... there's volume knobs on the Kemper and whatever power amp you're going to use.

• I believe the Kone is moving to much air, I think I have a better sound quality with speakers for lower volume? or is the Kone also perfect for quiet playing at home/bandroom (alone with no drummer)?

I am using Kone at home and at low volume level and it is best sound I ever had! Before Kone I was trying monitors, FRFR devices (Headrush 108), classical guitar cabs etc. - Kone sounds the best!

• This is pretty simple, you have 3 options:

• Guitar Cab - great for moving air, gives heavy sound colouration though. You will be best to use merged or DI profiles.
    • FRFR speaker ( PA, Headrush, Yamaha DXR10 etc) - Low colouration you you will get the full Kemper experience of profiled signal chain. Some people find it too clinical and does not give you the "amp in the room feel" but I have used a few for many years.
    • Kabinet - aims to balance the 2, utilising the imprints to manage the speaker sound and give you more of an "amp in the room" feel. Can also be used as an pseudo FRFR as well as its response is flatter/less coloured than a guitar cab.

All work well but do sound different and everyone has a different view. For me I think a guitar cab needs to be driven fairly hard to get the best out of it.

FRFR is good but I think the Kabinet is a great all rounder, plus its small and light.

All will need a power amp too if unpowered.

• Thank you guys yeky83, vjelen, andrezuppe and V8guitar so much for helping and explaining!

I have at the moment a Kemper and I'm going to buy a Axe-FX 3 soon. The Kemper producers say, that the Kemper Kabinet is for Kemper only. Do they mean for amp-modelers? or really just for Kemper? or is it absolutly fine to use the Kemper Kabinet with the Axe-Fx 3 if I really want the best sound-result out of both units.

• I'm a little confused

When I read your posts, I can't help but think you're not only a little confused but very confused. ;)

1. What exactly do you plan to do with the Profiler?

2. You write "bandroom" but also you write "alone" and "no drummer". What's the purpose of a bandroom without a band? Or did you just mix up bedroom with bandroom?

To be honest, I have the impression that you want to make music "alone", which is perfectly fine. And you probably want to record (mix) your own tracks, at some point , at home. To me, everything points towards a small but decent home studio setup. And for this endeavour you don't need a Kabinet, you don't need a PA speaker, you don't need a guitar cab.

But maybe I'm wrong, who knows. You just give me the impression that you're totally confused. :)

• You write "bandroom" but also you write "alone" and "no drummer". What's the purpose of a bandroom without a band? Or did you just mix up bedroom with bandroom?

Bandroom because my apartment has not very good acustic isolation, so If I wanna enjoy good heavy rocking guitar tones I'm going to jam in a acustic/sound isolated room, I call the for simplicity "bandroom". And some day, I hope soon, I move to a house with better isolation and fewer neighbours and then I don't need a bandrom anymore probalby....

you don't need a Kabinet, you don't need a PA speaker, you don't need a guitar cab.

I need a studio monitor? or front monitor?

• Thank you guys yeky83, vjelen, andrezuppe and V8guitar so much for helping and explaining!

I have at the moment a Kemper and I'm going to buy a Axe-FX 3 soon. The Kemper producers say, that the Kemper Kabinet is for Kemper only. Do they mean for amp-modelers? or really just for Kemper? or is it absolutly fine to use the Kemper Kabinet with the Axe-Fx 3 if I really want the best sound-result out of both units.

Why are you buying an Axe FX as well? I understand many people have multiple units but you need to understand the KPA and its capabilities before you splurge on another unit.

Kabinet - Kemper only as its tuned for the imprints which are Kemper only. It could work but unlikely to be great. You need a power amp for both.

• 1. What exactly do you plan to do with the Profiler?

My suggestion ... sit back, relax, take your time, try to figure out what exactly you want to do with the Profiler!

See how I type the word "exactly" in bold letters, again? You still haven't answered my question. Once you've figured out what you want/need to do with it, we can come up with help and suggestions. If your answer is a simple "I wanna do it all" kind of thing, then you'll have a hard time to stay focussed. You might need a guitar cab for "this" and a FRFR PA monitor for "that" and studio monitors for "yet something else" and last but not least headphones for "yet another situation". :)

• what exactly you want to do with the Profiler!

I wanna enjoy good heavy rocking guitar tones I'm going to jam in a acustic/sound isolated room. It makes more fun to play along backing tracks and enjoying good high gain guitar tones in the room. Just me playing for my self and my friends/family. No gigs no concert. Genre is Heavy Rock & Metal.

What do you need more?

It's never the same like playing with headphones.

• I'm going to jam in a acustic/sound isolated room.

It makes more fun to play along backing tracks and enjoying good high gain guitar tones in the room.

To jam with your axe like a real amp in the room go for the Kabinet: through this you will hear the real guitar speaker sound and ,you can also choose between V30, Geenback, creamback etc etc according to your taste.

To jam above the backing tracks and to hear things as our guitar heros on their records, go straight into the studio monitors using studio mic'ed profiles (you can find them everywhere): don't be worryed about the speakers, the best profiles are made with great mic placement and the best classical cabinet / spearker chose on the market (eg Top Jimi, Michael Britt profiles...)

Play and Enjoy!

Andrea