Remote Slot Loading

• Back in August I posted a feature request under the subject thread "Slot loading behavior using remote within a performance". The following is an excerpt from that request and then I will ask my question for this forum;

Currently I have observed two slot loading behaviors. The first, as described in the manual, loads the *stored* version of the slot in a performance whenever a slot button (1-5) is pressed. The second behavior, currently only available when the Rig Manager software is running and detected by the Kemper unit at it's USB-B port, loads the *last* condition a slot was left in and not necessarily the *stored* version.

Now for a question; has anyone found a way to produce the second behavior noted above without connecting a computer via USB running Rig Manager to the Kemper Head? Thanks

Kemper Power Head

Mission Engineering KM-212P-GN w/ Kemper Kone Speakers

• Back in August I posted a feature request under the subject thread "Slot loading behavior using remote within a performance". The following is an excerpt from that request and then I will ask my question for this forum;

Currently I have observed two slot loading behaviors. The first, as described in the manual, loads the *stored* version of the slot in a performance whenever a slot button (1-5) is pressed. The second behavior, currently only available when the Rig Manager software is running and detected by the Kemper unit at it's USB-B port, loads the *last* condition a slot was left in and not necessarily the *stored* version.

Now for a question; has anyone found a way to produce the second behavior noted above without connecting a computer via USB running Rig Manager to the Kemper Head? Thanks

Short answer - no. Not that I've ever heard of. Unless the Profiler 'sees' RM, it will revert to the saved state.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Thanks all for your thoughts. Wheresthedug, yes, live is a different place and the reason I bought the Remote. Ruefus, I was so hoping someone had discovered a method as I am not getting any traction as a suggested OS update. I am about to install OS 8 but I don't hold out much hope. Happy Holidays All!

Kemper Power Head

• The second behavior, currently only available when the Rig Manager software is running and detected by the Kemper unit at it's USB-B port, loads the *last* condition a slot was left in and not necessarily the *stored* version.

Why would you want it to load the last unsaved version? Once I save something I want it saved, not "undo" my save. I want to know how to make sure that NEVER happens!

• Why would you want it to load the last unsaved version? Once I save something I want it saved, not "undo" my save. I want to know how to make sure that NEVER happens!

I think you're confusing a saved sound vs a modified (and as yet NOT saved modification).

If you use the save button - and then make no changes - when connected to RM - that slot will not change. If you save, make changes, then leave and come back - it's going to hold the changes you made. Ostensibly to allow A/B testing with another sound. That's how I've always used it.

The alternative is to save the change - find out it's wrong and then have to remember how to unwind what you did. No thanks.

• I agree. I'm confused, but that's OK. I A/B in an entirely different way.

I’m sure Jeffible can explain his rewuest better than me but the way I under is nothing to do with A/B testing but rather live performance. I think the scenario is something like Slot 1 basic rhythm tone (say verse 1), Slot 1 with OD engaged for a lift in the pre chorus then change to slot 2 chorus. Now when returning to Verse 2 the tone should be the same as prechorus rather than basic rhythm sound (ie Slot 1 WITH OD added) but currently this would require him to select Slot 1 then hit a second switch for the OD.

I can see the point in the request but personally I would just use a completely different slot rather than try to access different status for the same Slot which would be much more confusing for my personal way of working (however, our brains don’t all work the same way ?)

• Instead of morphing I have my performance buttons set on returning to the original slot state. That way if I want to turn on an overdrive then a flanger and eventually a pitch shiftier then back to original, I don't have to tap dance to reverse, I can just hit the slot button to return everything to "normal" and all this with one slot used. & Set the tap button to morph. I'm just used to operating like this. With morphs set up on each button, you have to unclick all the effects you added one by one to get back to the same slot like a 'ol fashioned pedal board that I wanted to get away from 35 years ago.

I love the options the footswitch and Profiler give you, I use many of them to have it "my way". Like one slot at a time browser loading and reversing the bank buttons , to slot reloading and tap button to morph! Very well thought out so there isn't much that I could say "I wish it could do this" about.

Sure I could do all this with different slots but I run with one bank that I use most of the time then "specialty" performances that I would step through for like acoustic, or something with a lot of set fx changes, or Tele specific etc. A lot of road professionals use like 3-4 slots on the Kemper and that's it. To me you might as well use a regular amp then but they like the constancy.

• I'm really not sure what you're trying to accomplish anymore. Sorry, I want to help if I can.....but I don't understand your conundrum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• If you're speaking to me, and not the OP, I'm not having any problems, I was just sharing my methods to see if the OP might see them as a workaround. Sorry to confuse, I shouldn't have butted in.

• It has been a while since I read this thread and it is good to see that a discussion has ensued. Allow me to explain my vision and reply to some of the comments. First, this has nothing to do with A/B-ing sounds or creating more banks or saved slots but rather flexibility when playing live as Wheresthedug seems to understand. You may recall in my original post that part of my feature request was that an option for this behavior be available (that you don't have to use) and that when engaged a long press on a slot button would recall the stored version at any time. So for Dynochrome and others, you could not use the option, or use a long press to have the same behavior we have now. What I am requesting, when the option is enabled, is that the behavior that occurs when Rig Manager is detected at USB-B occur without Rig Manager present and that a long press on any slot button recalls the stored version, thus overriding that behavior. Changing banks would override as well, as it does now with Rig Manager connected. If it helps, one could think of it like a pedal board that has a set number of effects in which the on/off condition of these effects can be "memorized" temporarily to be recalled whilst in a bank to accommodate different songs or parts of songs rather than creating new banks and slots with different combinations of effects. When a slot button is long pressed or the bank is changed and a slot button is selected the stored version of the slot is recalled. In one of my earlier posts I detailed a possible scenario so I won't repeat it here. Thanks

Kemper Power Head