cab routing conundrum! am i the first with this problem in the 7 or 9 years since kemper was released?!

• I have a pwr rack and a 4x12 I built for my KONES. I run the KONES 4x12 from the main speaker out of the Kemper. I also run from the main outs of the Kemper into a rocktron pwr amp in the same rack. From the external pwr amp I run into a couple of Mesa 4x12 cabs. The problem is that the signal that is running from the mains to the pwr amp to the Mesa cabs... HAS CABINET SIMULATION / PROFILE as part of the signal and that leaves me sending a guitar cabinet profile into an actual guitar cabinet.....:thumbdown::wacko:

Now as far as I know, there is no way to eliminate this part of the profile from the main outs. This is very disappointing. If anyone can enlighten me and tell me I'm wrong, it would be greatly appreciated!!!

please help

• The Kemper is such a versatile machine. Almost every setup should be possible. Although I am not on the powered version and have different setup than you I could imagine the following: You can disable the Cab in the Stack section and lock it.

Two simple steps:

1. Disable cab

2. Hold Lock button and tip the Cab button

Should be off now for all rigs...

• Thanks deadman42!

I'm pretty sure I tried this. but I will double check to be certain. Though I believe that causes the Kones to Switch into full range mode. which is quite unpleasant without a cab in the profile...

• Though I believe that causes the Kones to Switch into full range mode. which is quite unpleasant without a cab in the profile...

Ah, okay. I can not judge on this one as I'm not underway with the Kone yet.

does anyone know how to get the "beginner" off of my thing to the left here?

<<<--------

I've been playing professionally and non-pro for over 31years....

That's related to the amount of postings here in the forum and has nothing to do with your guitar playing experience...

• Well I recommend getting at least one Kone. They really add a completely new level of crispy 3D clarity and dynamics, thus revealing the Kempers true personality. Way more in your face and "amp in the room" than a typical guitar voiced spkr. Not to mention automatically doubling your tone tweaking options!

Ha! that crossed my mind after I asked the question... of-course it is related to the postings in the forum... thanks!

• Andrea L

Yes I understand the FOH/mixing console application of the main outs. But I'm not always playing live. In fact live playing only accounts for probably approximately 7%-9% of total time behind a guitar... if that. It seems (I hate to say it) pretty limiting to not have the option to activate a "monitor cab off" type of function for any output you wish. It seems like that could be taken care of with an update of some sort... or a voodoo spell of witchcraft and wizardry of some sort...

• So you're trying to run the Kone from Speaker Out and Mesa from Main Out simultaneously, yes?

And turning the Cab off sucks for the Kone, and turning it on sucks for the Mesa.

Try downloading what's called a neutral or null IR, which is an IR that has no coloration as if it's bypassed. Convert it with Kemper Cab Maker utility, and load it into Kemper's Cab section. Now with it loaded, even though you have the Cab on it should be as if you had it off. Both Kone and Mesa will work simultaneously.

Here's some links to get the neutral/null IR:

https://www.strymon.net/faq/by…-with-a-null-cab-ir-file/

http://www.greendog.co.uk/af/cabirs.php#neutralcabirs

EDIT: Also to add, lock the Cab module after you load the null IR so you can flip through Rigs without having to load the IR all the time.

Edited once, last by yeky83 ().

• That last suggestion should work. I've got 4 Kones and a 4x12, I've never even considered trying this, that should wake the neighbours.

P.S. The Kones have only been around for 7 or 9 months, not 7 or 9 years so your conundrum is a new one.

In fact live playing only accounts for probably approximately 7%-9% of total time behind a guitar...

P.P.S. What's with the numbers 7 and 9?

• i was referring to the kemper itself, not the Kones, about 7-9yrs... but youre absolutely right. my problem has to do with the Kones, not just the Kemper. touche...

I dont know what's up with the 7 and 9's I didnt notice it till you pointed it out.... probably subconsciously has something to do with "7EMPEST" . I'd been working on it all night. \m/

<BMOORE>

• ...the other reason why not many people face this is a I suspect few people run 3 4x12's on stage anymore, especially with 2 different configs - not going to ask why...

There must be a away, perhaps using monitor out as you can switch off the monitor cab can;t you for that output???

• There must be a away, perhaps using monitor out as you can switch off the monitor cab can;t you for that output???

My guess ... he wants to use the Kone speaker imprints for his 4x12 Kone cab ... but doesn't want the selected Kone imprint for his other Mesa 4x12s. And since the SPEAKER OUT and the MONITOR OUT share the same internal signal path, he can't make that distinction.

If I'm right then I'm afraid it's a very rare and special use case and I'm not sure there would be enough people with the same requirement to support his case. The solution with a "null IR" suggested by yeky83 might do the trick.

• let me put it this way,... did you ever have a band member that apparently was under the impression that VOLUME took the place of PRACTICE/TALENT? It's a sad state of affairs... He runs 7 4x12's at rehearsal.... its pathetic. The lunacy doesn't stop there though... He also truly believes that mid-frequencies are "gay". Although that is how I am able to cut through the mix and leave him lost in mix with any 13yr. olds who's mids are scooped out worse that a Brahms's chocolate ice cream... or some other bad reference regarding mid scoop.... (he's a grown man by the way). IDK, i digress.

but yes the null IR suggestion is friggin brilliant!!

• yeky83,

IM TRYING TO IMPORT THESE "null IR's" TO CAB MAKER SO THAT I CAN RUN 4X12 CABS FROM MY MAIN OUTS WITHOUT RUNNING A CAB PROFILE INTO A CAB. IT SAYS THIS..."44.1kHz sampling rate with either 16 or 24 bits are required. up to two channels are supported."

are these not compatible with the kemper? thats odd. I must be doing something wrong?

• Hi, bmoore.

Cab Maker is no longer required to import Impulse Responses (Since Rig Manager 7.2).

Importing Impulse Responses via KEMPER Rig Manager
    This PROFILER OS 7.2 requires KEMPER Rig Manager™ version 3. Besides editor capabilities this new Rig
    Manager revision can also directly import impulse responses. The Cab Maker software is therefore obsoleted.

You can import the Impulse Response directly in Rig Manager.

See the excerpt from the Rig Manager Manual, below.

Handling Impulse Responses
    To convert an Impulse Response audio file, simply drag it onto the Cab icon in the Signal Flow or onto a
    Preset library location for multi-file conversions. Several different bit rates, as well as file formats, are supported. If in doubt, use WAVE or AIF files with either 16 or 24 bits.

Alternatively, select a Preset location and choose File >Import Impulse Response from the menu.

Note:

If you are not in an appropriate Directory, the option is not available.

Select “All Presets/Local Library” (or make a new subfolder there).

Source: need help with Kemper Editor , Trying to Import IR but option is grayed out..

ST

• Sorry to misguide you with the Cab Maker bit. I haven't loaded up an IR into Kemper in a long time so didn't realize Rig Manager supported IRs. Sounds like the better easier option, thanks ST.