EtherCON footswitch cable

• When I first saw the (XLR looking) end for the footswitch I was unhappy because I thought I would have to buy some special proprietary cable for a backup. (And I despise proprietary cables + I'd never gig without a backup so there goes $50.00). Then I realized it was what looked like a regular Ethernet cable with a protective cover. (never saw a EtherCON before) I turned the cord around and plugged the head side of the cable in and it fit just fine so I'm guessing the cover is not a must but just there for protection. I wouldn't gig with it that way on purpose as it is flimsy and looks like it could damage the jack that way but I'm guessing if one was careful a regular Ethernet cable would work in a pinch. Is this correct? If so, I could just bring one of my many cables I already have along in the rare instance my cable gets damaged. In my other rigs with Ethernet cables it hasn't happened yet with many years over broken bottles, boots,high heels, 2wheel carts etc. so I feel it would be rare instance to have to resort to a regular cable.

Reminds me of two stories. One time I was running across a big stage and the bass player stepped on my cord with his boot heel and snapped my guitar cord in half instantly and cleanly.

Another time a cymbal fell over on it and sheared it in half. You gotta be ready for this kind of thing live or you'll be the showstopper in a bad way like the drummer that doesn't bring a spare snare-just a head.

• Hi, Dynochrome.

There's more information in the main Kemper manual. Search for Cabling.

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides

And a quick search here in the community turned up this discussion. The perfect remote cable upgrade

• From the manual:

The cable included in the PROFILER Remote package with its Neutrik® etherCON® cable connector carrier has been carefully selected and is perfectly suited for this purpose. If you decide to use any 3rd party cable, please make sure it meets our quality standards.

The diameter of the wire is the critical factor. The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Cables in excess of 10m (30ft) might require a Power over Ethernet Injector (PoE Injector).

• I'm not just speaking of t a 3rd party cable but one without a Ethercon end. I understand about lengths and wire size that's not what my post was about. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I realize the ether con cable is suggested, but as far as I can tell a regular Ethernet cable (without the ethercon end (that meets wire requirements and lengths) would work in a jam.