Chorus Help

• With all the chorus options I find myself down a rabbit hole but no end in site. I’m trying to achieve a double tracked guitar sound. Old school metal heads think Death Symbolic or The Sound Of Perseverance. Help? :love:

• You should be able to do that with a delay. Set the delay to have a short single tail with the feedback and somewhere between a 25-50ms delay, and set the mix to 90-100%. Better if you use a stereo delay with stereo tracks. I do the same with a DAW delay plugin to get that stereo-doubled effect. I also do the same with a Chorus plugin but it only works well when using it in stereo mode for a single track - make the depth at 100% and effect is very slight (like 10%).

BTW, TCE has a cool pedal that does this called the Mimiq Doubler, but again, sounds best when running a stereo setup.

Good luck.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• With all the chorus options I find myself down a rabbit hole but no end in site. I’m trying to achieve a double tracked guitar sound. Old school metal heads think Death Symbolic or The Sound Of Perseverance. Help? :love:

please try

Chorus -> Micro Pitch

and

Equalizer -> Stereo Widener

and the brand new (OS 8.0.0 beta) effects

Equalizer -> Phase Widener

and

Equalizer -> Delay Widener

but in the end, if you want that old school metal sound, do what the old school guys did: double track :)

• Double tracking with chorus and delays works to an extent. But I found that using the wideners on the Kemper did not allow the guitar signal to cut well through the mix. It might be something wrong that I'm dialing in. I found that the best delay based double tracking tool was using my hx stomp and a dual delay at the very end with appropriate settings. I have not been able to replicate that with the Kemper.

• This may help...just sub the amp with a metal amp and use the effects in Kemper like he does the pedals.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• The closest thing you’ll get to double tracking and that really thick sound without actually double tracking, is to use the TC Mimic pedal. Using delays and choruses MIGHT give you a decent effect, but it’s not going to do what the Mimic does. The Mimic adjusts the timing of the notes as well as velocities to sound a little more human.

I’ve found that the widening effects (the new stereo and phase effects) in the Kemper sound cheap. There is a noticeable difference in sound quality when using them. For example, it sounds like the guitar just shifts more toward the left channel and it sounds louder than the right when listening in stereo.

Even the Mimic, which to my knowledge is the best doubler pedal out there, has some negative degradation affect on your tone.

If you’re playing live, the Mimic is your best option for double tracked sounds. If your recording, the best option for double tracking while maintaining the integrity of your time is to go old school and double the tracks manually.

• If you’re playing live, the Mimic is your best option for double tracked sounds. If your recording, the best option for double tracking while maintaining the integrity of your time is to go old school and double the tracks manually.

If you're tracking in the studio, the real thing will always be best -> double, triple, quad tracking

live, it is highly doubtful that the FOH will give you a wide stereo field (if stereo at all),

or even IF you get that, only the people directly in the middle between the speakers will hear the stereo effect

• If you're tracking in the studio, the real thing will always be best -> double, triple, quad tracking

live, it is highly doubtful that the FOH will give you a wide stereo field (if stereo at all),

or even IF you get that, only the people directly in the middle between the speakers will hear the stereo effect

Totally agree Don. I use the Mimic for live situations but I only have the mix parameter up to 18%. Just high enough to give me some nice sounding separation in my in-ears, but not enough to degrade the tone too much. To me, it’s not worth it because you’re right about stereo only being noticed by people seated in certain areas.

• Set a clean digital delay to 28 MS 0% feedback (or try just a wee bit) hard pan the dry to one side and hard pan pure delay signal to the other. Doesn't have as good of effect in mono, but a lot of times in the studio when double or triple tracking it's common to have one in the left and one in the right (and maybe one in the middle.) When you hard pan them it simulates that and doesn't make it obvious but creates space. For fun try setting this up and cranking the milliseconds way down to .1 ms and scrolling up by .1ms (not 1 but .1). I haven't done it with the Kemper but I know in my DAW, it would create some super weird sounds like "money for nothing" and if you read the story of that track in the studio you can understand that that is kinda doing the same thing with phasing. It'll hit certain "spots that really switch tones dramatically!

• That Mimiq pedal looks badass. Wonder how well it intermingles with the Kemper.

It's not bad. I find that it definitely does color the tone a bit. The thing I dislike about it the most is that in 2 of the 3 modes, it results in one channel being slightly louder than the other. It's audible enough for me to even notice it during a soundcheck while standing out front. It's likely nothing that the crowd would notice, but I did. Between that and the tone coloration, I'd give it a grade of B-. I use it at about 18% mix; just up enough to provide some nice separation for in my in-ears. IMO, it's not good enough to use in professional, live settings, to do what it says it does, which is to produce the sound of double or triple tracked guitars.

You also have to use it in stereo unless you want a really bad out-of-phase effect. Very easy to use with the Kemper though. Drop it in the effects loop, put it in the "X" slot and choose "stereo loop". As long as you're running in stereo, you're good to go.