[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• Got everything updated yesterday. For me, these two drives are all I need for the noise that I make, and they work perfectly with my favorite profiles. Now I just need to figure out how to integrate MIDI control into my Keurig and I'll be set for life...

• These new drives are amazing!

The Kemper Drive is ideal for taking a profile that's clean but on the edge of breakup and adding just the icing on the cake. It's great with these kinds of profiles. Very chimey.

The Full OC has so much thickness. It takes a clean amp like a fender and turns it into a monster. It's super dynamic too.

This profiler just keeps getting better. ??

• So what I’m being told by you guys is - why try and have something sound like something else? You do realize that’s the point of a kemper right? Why release a OCD drive then? Cause it’s internals work differently or something I don’t understand, well who cares? Use generic distortion and just be happy. Bye bye green scream, mouse and big muff stomps, don’t need you anymore. Tweaking 4 knobs will give you every overdrive sound you could ever want. How dare you ask for more.

Can you imagine how quick this community would tear fractal apart if they took away 4 of their drive pedals and replaced it with ‘Generic Drive’ “No, no you just turn this knob to 4 and set this to off and then spin round 3 times and it kind sounds like a tube screamer at gain 1... but that’s it... and only on Wednesdays...” “oh you want a tube screamer sound at gain 2? Uh, well that’s basically just a klon at 4, they’re basically all the same...”

They would be crucified.

and why would kemper owners, who clearly can never be satifsfied by 1 amp, (this absolutely includes me!) cause again the whole point is to have multiple amps / every amp known to man available in an easy to access and carry box not want every pedal ever made either? Amps? Got a thousand! Pedals? Yeah 1 or 2...

anyway this all comes from a productive place, and I know it’s dripping with sarcasm but I believe it’s a valid point. If you personally just want one pedal then great, but don’t try and tell me that I’m asking too much or that you don’t think what I’d like is needed.

I understand what you are saying .... however ......

Kemper has never duplicated an amp circuit. It doesn't work that way. It instead captures the I/O characteristics of the amp setup (at a single point) and duplicates it with any input.

Kemper is taking a similar approach with their new stomps.... except in testing they found that there were families of stomps that all yielded various combinations of 4 constants with a given IR and algorithm that all of the real stomps in this family exhibited. It is really kind of cool to an old engineer like me (geek). With very little firmware space, and minimal processing overhead, they managed to recreate a whole family of OD stomps. I know that someone pointed out that one stomp used a half wave clipping rectifier while another used a full wave clipping rectifier and therefore concluded that a single algorithm couldn't possibly cover both. That is simply not true. It is likely that in the digital realm, the system responses still laid in the same plane of a single algorithm..... so it can actually sound the same as either one of these circuits ..... because it doesn't work like Fractal pedals do..... at all.

As other have stated, it also allowed them to make it easy to sound good..... which is also a key Kemper USP (Unique Selling Point). It is just easy to make things sound good.

Still, I understand your desire for a different stomp plug-in for each actual stomp. I just think that for a device like the Kemper, that design philosophy doesn't make any sense. If it did, in the "AMP" section we would be selecting preamp tubes, power amp tubes, and circuit layouts along with pots for changing the circuit in different places .... like Fractal does.

• Have you tried using a 'neutral' stomp (like a flat EQ) in front of the Fuzz stomp and turning down the volume of the EQ? :)

now that sounds like gold, thanks will be trying that out Don.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I wonder if they will do the same thing with distortion pedals or amp in a box type pedals like an Angry Charlie or a Riot and make like a kemper dist. I don’t know why folks are tripping the delays and verbs or generic and they slay

• Can anyone confirm a bug in 8.0? Using the Monitor out to a Kone and the speaker imprints aren’t working...

edit: scratch that. Seems it came back after changing rigs.

Yes I had exactly this bug once. I was in browser mode, and it was one of the very first try after the installation of the OS and RM.

Actually, I can remember the the Monitor Volume in the outout page went to zero alone, because I just moved this and the sound came back. (Maybe I also tried to change Rig before, don't remember)

• I know that someone pointed out that one stomp used a half wave clipping rectifier while another used a full wave clipping rectifier and therefore concluded that a single algorithm couldn't possibly cover both.

When I suggested that ODs should include different clipping styles (Hard, Soft, Symmetrical,Asymmetrical etc) CK maintained that despite his attempts to do so I simply could not find any evidence that this actually made an audible difference to the output.

• As other have stated, it also allowed them to make it easy to sound good..... which is also a key Kemper USP (Unique Selling Point). It is just easy to make things sound good.

I was one of the guys who stated that, and for me that's what counts, I'm not good or geek enough to take any advantage of the Fractal approach.

But I can also understand the other point of view, and if I remember well, Kemper themselves say since the beginning that thanks to their tweaking options the musician can explore and discover new unexpected sounds, or something like this.With the Kemper Drive philosophy (which again is all I need and like in Kemper, the "USP" you talked about) one can't really explore out of the sweet spots, these musicians who likes this freedom may feel a bit restricted to "stereotypical" sounds. (but just stereotypical sounds can do already a lot!!!)

Maybe Kemper will please this part of the users one day by implementing individual stomp models (even though I thinks it's more the Fractal way of thinking), but for the other part of the users it was definitely a better idea to start with Kemper Drive . Thanks!

• I might of missed something but has there been any explanation as to why the OCD got its own seperate algo.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I might of missed something but has there been any explanation as to why the OCD got its own seperate algo.

I think the explanation is in the Kemper Drive explanation. Kemper Drive covers all the overdrives spectrum. But the OCD is not an overdrive. It's circuit, the way it operates and mostly the way it sounds is completely different. So it has got it's own stomp.

Maybe we could ask why they don't include the OCD into a Kemper Distortion algorithm that could include also other classic distortion pedals. But I still think the OCD is quite different from other distortion pedals.

• Maybe we could ask why they don't include the OCD into a Kemper Distortion algorithm that could include also other classic distortion pedals.

I think in the next releases we will see DS and Fuzz alghotithms . I think Kemper Drive is also "a taste" of the initial Drive section redesign

• Have you tried using a 'neutral' stomp (like a flat EQ) in front of the Fuzz stomp and turning down the volume of the EQ? :)

or add the Recti Shaper to any Profile to turn it into a octave up fuzz monster (like a Foxx Tone Machine)

Analog Octaver before dirt is also recommended :evil:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I see quite a level of fuzz tones investigation there . I read between the lines and guess that we will have new fuzz algorithms at some point in the future?

Love the Kemper.

• @CK decided to do it the only way it could be done without to "complicate the issue" and confuse his costumers.

He could just put a dozen "new pedals" created out of the kemper drive into OS8 and call it a day..never telling us what he have done..so no word about generator..just timmy,808,ocd,etc..

And all would be happy.I guess.

Instead he gives us the whole thing.The whole generator.And let us decide if we want to use the kemper drive to create our own stuff.To do it our own way.'Find our own sweet spots.

For each his own.But for me I am very happy with the way the Kemper folks did this.Besides..instead of defined pedals we have presets.I dont know exactly why some folks here complaining can't just take the presets..name them as the pedals and call it a day.It is not like the profiler is a digital tool with which you can program,store and put things into a folder in the RM..?

• I dont know exactly why some folks here complaining can't just take the presets..name them as the pedals and call it a day.I

I do know why.

Some of us will NEVER have the opportunity to play an original Klon Centaur for example. And having an accurate "copy" with all the knobs inside the KPA might be nice from that point of view.

But at the same time I think that the correct way to give us MORE is what Kemper have done.

I´m just waiting for the Klon Centaur owners (and other exclusive pedals) to start "cloning" their Klons inside the Kemper with lists of presets the same way we have lists of profiles so we have a wide range of tones. That is going to happen. If not for free, some comercial vendor will do it for a small fee.

• When I suggested that ODs should include different clipping styles (Hard, Soft, Symmetrical,Asymmetrical etc) CK maintained that despite his attempts to do so I simply could not find any evidence that this actually made an audible difference to the output.

Tbh..I also never heard these differences..starting in the mid80s playing we all found all these pedals being awful.We hated the few on the market back then.Some (like the od1 or ds1) worked with our 800s but not always.No matter if soft clipping TS(which was good ofcourse for blues) or the boss/ibanez hardcliping "metal pedals".Actually all these shitty little pedals (always talking about doing high gain shred stuff)were the reason for a whole army of amp designers doing their boutique mods and high gain tube amps(rectifier/5150 etc).Most (young)people today dont know this.

For me personally the kemper drive will help me to create a lot of sounds for break up/mid gain stuff..for blues,fusion and some specialized sounds for pop/rock stuff.

It is still not the "magical way" to put something in front of your whatever amp to magically "sound great".

This never worked that way.

PS

Yes I know that in thrash and death metal a lots of guys put a booster in front of their high gain amp for this "focused doom sound".I just never really cared about that and never understood why these lads just dont use a good eq.Anyway.

• I think you are right...the answer for that is in the presets.

Yes not a Klon Clone as a stomp but a preset of a sweet spot of a Klon is pretty good, with the advantage to tweak outside of the Klon options..