[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• this pedal is a good way to hear how little different clipping diodes etc. actually matter :)

If so, what is the difference between an overdrive and a distortion ?
    I know the frontier is fuzzy (!) between the two, but between a Rat and a Tube screamer, i can't swallow that the difference is on gain alone.

• It is really kind of cool to an old engineer like me (geek). With very little firmware space, and minimal processing overhead, they managed to recreate a whole family of OD stomps. I know that someone pointed out that one stomp used a half wave clipping rectifier while another used a full wave clipping rectifier and therefore concluded that a single algorithm couldn't possibly cover both. That is simply not true. It is likely that in the digital realm, the system responses still laid in the same plane of a single algorithm..... so it can actually sound the same as either one of these circuits .....

Sure a single algorithm can cover multiple types of clipping. But it's patently obvious that's not what's going on with the Kemper Drive if you had any knowledge of the circuits involved. The Kemper Drive purports to duplicate both TS808 and SD-1 with the same settings. One is a symmetric clipper, the other is an asymmetric clipper. It's a USP of Kemper indeed to make effects flexible yet very easy to sound good, great. But there's no behind the scenes clipping type adjustments going on here, it's essentially a TS with very flexible EQ options.

• If so, what is the difference between an overdrive and a distortion ?
    I know the frontier is fuzzy (!) between the two, but between a Rat and a Tube screamer, i can't swallow that the difference is on gain alone.

It's usually the difference between soft and hard clipping circuits, and is the case when comparing the TS to a Rat. Here's a relatively easy read from Strymon: https://www.strymon.net/single…ologies-sunset-riverside/

• don

I dont doubt anything.For everyone there are "little differences"..the issue for me is if I can really feel them when I am playing.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am trying all morning to set the kemper drive with more than three sweetspots that "I can feel" through lets say some fusion runs..using morphing.

I guess what I want to say is that playing style and most of all having all "in the mix" tops "fine details".

PS

Soory for the noisy jam.I did not adjust the noise gate.

• don Petersen

I always had this with all these od pedals.Again..I like them for ceratain things.But for me they lack flexibility and have a very distinctive "footprint" on every note you play which will not change a bit.No matter what od.But this is just my feeling I guess.

• If so, what is the difference between an overdrive and a distortion ?

The Rat is bit of a special pedal, since it can do OD, distortion and fuzz :)

this picture illustrates the differences between soft and hard clipping

• I´m just waiting for the Klon Centaur owners (and other exclusive pedals) to start "cloning" their Klons inside the Kemper with lists of presets the same way we have lists of profiles so we have a wide range of tones. That is going to happen. If not for free, some comercial vendor will do it for a small fee.

Users have been doing this for years. There are already some Klon boosted profiles on RE.

Profiling pedals yields mixed results and doesn't provide much flexibility to tweak the profile.

• Users have been doing this for years. There are already some Klon boosted profiles on RE.

Profiling pedals yields mixed results and doesn't provide much flexibility to tweak the profile.

Sorry. Maybe I didn't explain myself right.

I'm not talking about making profiles with a Klon or whatever pedal in the chain. I'm talking about making presets using the Kemper Drive to match the real pedal that the user might have. And then share those presets with the community.

• Unless I'm missing something, the one improvement I'd like ASAP is when you've loaded a preset for Kemper Drive, the preset name you used is nowhere to be found. Meaning - if I load a Klon preset and come back to that rig in the future - I can't see what 'pedal' that specific Kemper Drive is set to (or started out as before editing).

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Unless I'm missing something, the one improvement I'd like ASAP is when you've loaded a preset for Kemper Drive, the preset name you used is nowhere to be found. Meaning - if I load a Klon preset and come back to that rig in the future - I can't see what 'pedal' that specific Kemper Drive is set to (or started out as before editing).

Agreed ... there is a brief appearance of a name in RM (bottom row on left) when selecting from presets but after saving and returning to the profile, it reverts to the generic Kemper Drive or Full OC. I think there is an 'air gap' between RM and said bottom row as it also doesn't correctly reflect the name of the amp module when changes are made via MIDI ... However, I note that the little house (Home) icon has now been connected :thumbup:

• Oh and

External Content youtu.be

I gave up on asking for this years ago.

have a look at this thread, in post #4 Burkhard explains Kempers reasoning is.

Make the information about the used preset available

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• have a look at this thread, in post #4 Burkhard explains Kempers reasoning is.

Make the information about the used preset available

I understand their reasoning. At the same time, he asks if its referential - which is *exactly* what I'm thinking.

I'd like to know what that preset choice started out as. "Based on preset 'name'". Just something to tell me what in the world I was thinking at the time.

Could always name the profile with the type of Kemper pedal being used in the title. That is what I have started doing.

That's where I'm headed with it as well. Kludgy as all get out. This is where having individual stomps for each type would be easier. Green Scream/Mouse/Muffin etc.

We'll manage. I'd rather this situation than be complaining how awful the new drive is (which it clearly is not).

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Hi guys!

Thanks for your feedback.

As some of you mentioned, the Full OC is not part of the Kemper Drive, because it does not belong to the family of overdrives, but to the family of distortions. So are all the other distortion models, except the Green Scream and the Fuzz DS.

It is a bit disturbing that the the guitar world in the past decades failed to tell the musicians which devices are overdrives and which are distortions, and to find a clear distinction.

Same with the story of the choice of clipping diodes and their symmetrical or assymmetrical configuration. It sounds like nice marketing to promote different diode choice or topology. Some overdrive pedals even allow to change the setting with switches on the fly. Those differences can be well analyzed analytically, by using sine as a test tone. But once you play guitar, the only change is the headroom, perceived as a significant change in Drive and Volume. Once you re-adjust Drive and Volume, the sound is the same again, no perceivable difference.

You might not find a single person on the internet, who shows the true sonic differences of diode configurations in ODs, while keeping all surrounding aspects neutral.

We could have added an additional switch or selector for these aspects, if they were significant.

We are here in a beta test, so we would be happy to be proven wrong ...