[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• I discovered the same thing, with a pedal that had clipping options, can't remember what it was for the life of me. When just flipping the switch you noticed a difference, but it was only a difference in what Chris said, gain and volume. Now of course, if a certain clipping diode on a real pedal allows that pedal to get a bit more gain than the stock diode with the gain maxed, than it's a useful mod on that pedal if it allows that pedal higher overall gain. But in the Kemper drive, there's enough gain on tap to accomplish the same thing, as I think the TS preset with the gain at 5 represents a real TS with it's gain maxed, for example.

• All in all, I like the new drives. Lots of options and versatility. I'd recommend watching the three Tone Junkie videos to learn your way around them. Don't forget that there's a page button on the Kemper Drive allowing you to set the mix and level for this as well. That allows of course a little more clean boost to push the amp profile harder and rolling back the mix from 100% lets a little unoverdriven sound through.

I think there's some positive and negatives to having the various models rolled into one, but in my opinion the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's much helpful to adjust the definition and slim down to get into the range of all seven of the pedals. And a little time with the manual will more than educate you on how to mimic one of the seven specific models, if you're dying to try one out, aside from the ballpark presets. Or instead just use your ear and adjust until it overdrives the way you want it to. And then if it kills you to know which real pedal you'd actually prefer, look back at the manual

• I posted this a couple of years ago. Trying to explain some of the things we are talking about.

OverDrive Styler: Smart & Innovative EQ pedal: Electric Guitar Harmonics & Overdrive Stylin

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Some Jackson Audio products change clipping configurations while compensating for the change in clipping-threshold/headroom. You can go check out some demos. Is it a subtle difference? Yes but it is audible and perceivable IME. If you could add additional switch options, that'd be great.

• The difference is simply, that on overdrive pedals only, a good portion of the clean signal (undistorted, uncompressed) is mixed to the distorted signal, preserving some uncompressed playing dynamics in parallel to the distortion.

With the Klon, isn't it the case that the clean signal path gets mixed out as the drive knob is turned up, and it becomes more of a hard clipper?

• With the Klon, isn't it the case that the clean signal path gets mixed out as the drive knob is turned up, and it becomes more of a hard clipper?

Nope.

It‘s more the opposite.

When you turn the drive knob down then the distorted path is blended out to create a clean boost.

• Sure a single algorithm can cover multiple types of clipping. But it's patently obvious that's not what's going on with the Kemper Drive if you had any knowledge of the circuits involved. The Kemper Drive purports to duplicate both TS808 and SD-1 with the same settings. One is a symmetric clipper, the other is an asymmetric clipper. It's a USP of Kemper indeed to make effects flexible yet very easy to sound good, great. But there's no behind the scenes clipping type adjustments going on here, it's essentially a TS with very flexible EQ options.

I am an electrical engineer; however, be that as it may, the circuits have nothing to do with Kemper being able to use DSP and Impulse Responses to recreate both pedals (FYI old drive pedals are pretty simple circuits).

I don't want to openly disagree with ckemper and what he is saying (his exact wording), but to be a little more abstract here, a combination of IR and DSP could easily cover more than just a class of circuitry .... it can cover a CLASS OF SOUNDS.

It is a very different way of looking at it. All of the discussion in this thread has revolved around the time domain signal (voltage vs time) ... as in the sine wave images shown. DSP is done mostly in the frequency domain using a digital process called a "Z transform" (feel free to look these up if you really really want something that will make absolutely no sense at all when you first read it).

The KPA is a virtuoso of non-time-domain processing in combination with simple controls that tweak the control diagram (look up system processing diagrams if you want to see how this looks).

It is not surprising to me at all that Kemper did not use a traditional algorithmic approach by modeling each stomp. In a Kemper, it would be totally non-sensical.

• Slowly I get the grip on how the drive works.I still need a shaper to get there where I want in some cases.It is all about this "attack" thing for me..tube overdrive is just more responsive and "direct".In my ears.

Anyway..

I guess OD pedals for me will always remain "cheap distortion" and a thing of the early 80s.I can't change this.

• Slowly I get the grip on how the drive works.I still need a shaper to get there where I want in some cases.It is all about this "attack" thing for me..tube overdrive is just more responsive and "direct".In my ears.

Anyway..

I guess OD pedals for me will always remain "cheap distortion" and a thing of the early 80s.I can't change this.

Sure, that‘s the way it is.

But keep in mind, that overdrives are also widely used to shape metal sounds.

• Sure, that‘s the way it is.

Hi Chris,

I am loving the new drives, the Fulltone model is phenomenal, but I wondered if you were interested in modelling tube overdrives like the Butler Tube Overdrive pedal which run a 12AX7 with proper plate voltages.

• Nope.

It‘s more the opposite.

When you turn the drive knob down then the distorted path is blended out to create a clean boost.

When you turn the drive knob up on the Klon, the main clean signal path is also blended out by getting shunted to virtual ground. It definitely becomes a hard clipper as you turn the drive up. I'm sure you know this so I don't know what the disagreement is here.

Does the Kemper Drive exhibit a hard clipping behavior at the high/max drive Klon preset settings?

What does the Slim Down parameter do exactly? Is it simply a boost around 1 kHz?

Edited once, last by yeky83 ().

• Sure, that‘s the way it is.

I know.

Christoph,I thank you for what you have given us to date.I usually don't like be a "brownnose" but indeed you do a great job.The new drives rock..:thumbup:

• I have no idea what you are on about, you lost me after "be that as it may", but I believe you and will fight anyone that disagrees :)

Anyway..

I have always felt this but, dare I say, these drives might change my mind. I quite like the Klon 3 preset....regardless, its great that the drives have been updated!!