[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• Slowly I get the grip on how the drive works.I still need a shaper to get there where I want in some cases.It is all about this "attack" thing for me..tube overdrive is just more responsive and "direct".In my ears.

Anyway..

I guess OD pedals for me will always remain "cheap distortion" and a thing of the early 80s.I can't change this.

what are you doing with the shaper? ive never bothered much with the ODs, but with these new additions i might pay more attention to it

• I am an electrical engineer; however, be that as it may, the circuits have nothing to do with Kemper being able to use DSP and Impulse Responses to recreate both pedals (FYI old drive pedals are pretty simple circuits).

I don't want to openly disagree with ckemper and what he is saying (his exact wording), but to be a little more abstract here, a combination of IR and DSP could easily cover more than just a class of circuitry .... it can cover a CLASS OF SOUNDS.

It is a very different way of looking at it. All of the discussion in this thread has revolved around the time domain signal (voltage vs time) ... as in the sine wave images shown. DSP is done mostly in the frequency domain using a digital process called a "Z transform" (feel free to look these up if you really really want something that will make absolutely no sense at all when you first read it).

It is not true that DSP is mostly done in the frequency domain.

The Kemper Drive is build like an analog circuit.

Calculations are usually done in the time or frequency domain, whatever serves best. Same as in the analog world.

The Z - Transform is just a little wheel in the hole game.

• When you turn the drive knob up on the Klon, the main clean signal path is also blended out by getting shunted to virtual ground. It definitely becomes a hard clipper as you turn the drive up. I'm sure you know this so I don't know what the disagreement is here.

Does the Kemper Drive exhibit a hard clipping behavior at the high/max drive Klon preset settings?

What does the Slim Down parameter do exactly? Is it simply a boost around 1 kHz?

I can recommend you this article: Klon Centaur Analysis

I see you are well versed on electric topics, so do I, but if you check the details, you are half right, the clean signal gets sent to ground as drive goes up but that means you get less and less dry signal into the output path, not more, the hardclipping you mention has nothing to do with the amount of dry into the out signal. In any case, I agree, klon fundamentals tell us why it isnt simply an EQ shift, but the drive proves how little differences type of clipping adds to the board IMO

The answer is 42

Edited once, last by Alfahdj ().

• I haven't used the legacy distortions much; not because I don't like them, but I'm of the same opinion as some others here: why use a stomp box when I have 300 virtual amps on stage with me? Instead of kicking on a tube screamer into my Marshall, I simply switch my slot to a cranked Soldano into the same cab. I constantly experiment, but usually come to the same conclusion - that the cranked amp beats the pedal/amp combo to my ears.

The major exception is when I'm trying to cop the SRV or Mayer thing... a strat into a boost pedal into a cleanish amp is the only way to get that sound and feel. And man... the new Kemper overdrives have really added some new dimensions there. For me, the measure of success of any new feature is my wife yelling at me at 2am to shut the damn thing off and come to bed. Between these new drives and the auto swell, I've had a couple of those nights already. Danke, Christoph.

Edited once, last by ChrisB ().

• I haven't used the legacy distortions much; not because I don't like them, but I'm of the same opinion as some others here: why use a stomp box when I have 300 virtual amps on stage with me? Instead of kicking on a tube screamer into my Marshall, I simply switch my slot to a cranked Soldano into the same cab. I constantly experiment, but usually come to the same conclusion - that the cranked amp beats the pedal/amp combo to my ears.

The major exception is when I'm trying to cop the SRV or Mayer thing... a strat into a boost pedal into a cleanish amp is the only way to get that sound and feel. And man... the new Kemper overdrives have really added some new dimensions there. For me, the measure of success of any new feature is my wife yelling at me at 2am to shut the damn thing off and come to bed. Between these new drives and the auto swell, I've had a couple of those nights already. Danke, Christophe.

I couldn't agree more! I'm certain there are more use cases but this is the only one for me.

I do use a fair amount of boosts though to get the signal into the amp to where I want it for different guitars, but I prefer not to shape the signal too much.

• I couldn't agree more! I'm certain there are more use cases but this is the only one for me.

I do use a fair amount of boosts though to get the signal into the amp to where I want it for different guitars, but I prefer not to shape the signal too much.

Agree. The pure booster might be my most used stomp - both before and after the amp. In fact, all my presets have the pure booster or "boost" eq in the X slot so that I always have a way of boosting my output for those times when I find that I've disappeared in the mix.

• I can recommend you this article: Klon Centaur Analysis

I see you are well versed on electric topics, so do I, but if you check the details, you are half right, the clean signal gets sent to ground as drive goes up but that means you get less and less dry signal into the output path, not more,

You're confused. Nowhere did I suggest that as the drive goes up you get more dry signal into the output path.

the hardclipping you mention has nothing to do with the amount of dry into the out signal.

Yes it does. CK suggests as much in his post last page, or read here under "Soft Clippers" https://www.strymon.net/single…ologies-sunset-riverside/

• i confess I am no technical expert and most of the Klon discussion is way over my head but I did read the Strymon White Paper yeky83 posted. This seems to suggest that Kemper took the approach of providing the soft clipping options in the Kemper Drive and the Hard Clipping in the Full OD. In which case, why would you need to add hard clipping to the Kemper Drive?

• what are you doing with the shaper? ive never bothered much with the ODs, but with these new additions i might pay more attention to it

I often use the triple play for mixing the guitar with a violin sound..or other mid heavy midi instrumentinstruments..

The shaper helps me to "seperate" the overdrive of the guitar from these midi instruments.I know..sounds complicated..and it is.Both sounds need to be "fat but clear" and one other problem is the stratocaster (which has low output SCs)needs to be played with a very heavy attack to get a clear sound from both..the guitar with the TS type of overdrive and the tracking of the midi instruments.

Ofcourse I could use a tube distortion rig but these sound just like metal.I want something more fusion.

It's a mess.But I am on the way.

The sound clip I posted above shows "my prolem"..

• i confess I am no technical expert and most of the Klon discussion is way over my head but I did read the Strymon White Paper yeky83 posted. This seems to suggest that Kemper took the approach of providing the soft clipping options in the Kemper Drive and the Hard Clipping in the Full OD. In which case, why would you need to add hard clipping to the Kemper Drive?

You make a good point. Maybe they don't need to add hard clipping option to the Kemper Drive, but then it'd be nice if they made the Full OC more flexible. Currently it just models the OCD.

• For the OD nerds, try to recreate that with the Kemper drives:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hello,

I don't understand where the kemper drive presets are hidden.

I have loaded the new OS, i found the kemper drive effect but i don't find the stomp presets.

When you downloaded the OS, it should have also included a folder that contains the presets.

Load those presets, like you would load profiles.

• Agree. The pure booster might be my most used stomp - both before and after the amp. In fact, all my presets have the pure booster or "boost" eq in the X slot so that I always have a way of boosting my output for those times when I find that I've disappeared in the mix.

Agree, I do exactly the same thing in the X slot.

Gary ô¿ô