[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• I was also thinking along the lines, sweetspots are really gear and ear dependant, that your sweetspot might be nowhere close to my sweetspot. In any case for the final release, I recommend changing the wording, as people will start making a big fuzz about the configurations. Still, comparisons should be made to present the qualities of the new drive.

The answer is 42

• I understand that the TS808 and the BOSS SD-1 are essentially the same pedal..... but what is the point of Kemper making the "808 Mid" and "OD/SD Mid" presets, when the presets are literally identical?

• I spent the last days "morphing" through the KDs to get the "right balance" for the things I love about ODs(tone,vocal but not tube/hardrock like "mid push" etc)and the things I always hated (at the same time to the advantages loss of "stiff attack" and fast response during fast runs) and only yet after some days I can say that a single Kemper drive machine makes all the sense.For me personally it is a great concept and the best possible solution.

But honestly I dont care that much how close the new drives come to the "originals".I just want them to do what I want.

• I understand that the TS808 and the BOSS SD-1 are essentially the same pedal..... but what is the point of Kemper making the "808 Mid" and "OD/SD Mid" presets, when the presets are literally identical?

I already asked this. No official answer. Still don't know if it is intentional. If it is, what is the point of two identical presets with different names?!

• have my doubts about any "fixed sweetspot"

Warren Haynes, Peter Frampton, Joe Perry:

Klon is in the rack. Settings are marked right on the pedal.

Joe Bonamassa, Jeff Beck:

Klon is on the pedalboard, unmarked. They could do it mid-gig but I have yet to see them bend down and fiddle with the knobs during the gig. If they change during soundcheck, I doubt they would make radical changes. Things will still stay in the same ballpark. Even if they e.g. decide to increase gain a touch, they would compensate by turning down the output a touch.

John Mayer:

Klon is on the pedalboard. Settings are marked right on the pedal. He sometimes changes Treble in soundcheck but not Gain and Output.

So far it looks like a draw ;)

Of course the term "sweet spot" is misleading, Christoph has already acknowledged this. It always depends on the artist and the rig and the situation. But the list I compiled earlier definitely tells a lot about how the Klon (or similar Overdrives) are being used and what they are supposed to do. ;)

James Hetfield for example also uses a Klon since he switched to Mesa Rectifiers and Diezel VH4s. And I'm quite sure he has a very different goal what he wants to achieve because he has a very different tone and genre compared to all the other guys above. Maybe he's just using it to tighten the low end, which would feel a bit weird to us mere mortals who would rather use a Tubescreamer kind of pedal for this purpose. Maybe he uses it to push his amps, maybe not. We just don't know and he keeps it a secret. But still, he will surely have his own "preferred setting" for this pedal. :)

• lightbox

Please let's be sure we are mean the same thing..

Do all these guys have the same setting?Same level?

Because as far as I understand you (and as you have shown above) you claim that the klon sweetspot should be the Haynes/bonamassa settings?

The point was to highlight that they sound litterally identical. This has not been common knowledge yet, unfortunately.

• James Hetfield for example also uses a Klon since he switched to Mesa Rectifiers and Diezel VH4s. And I'm quite sure he has a very different goal what he wants to achieve because he has a very different tone and genre compared to all the other guys above. Maybe he's just using it to tighten the low end, which would feel a bit weird to us mere mortals who would rather use a Tubescreamer kind of pedal for this purpose. Maybe he uses it to push his amps, maybe not. We just don't know and he keeps it a secret. But still, he will surely have his own "preferred setting" for this pedal. :)

Metallica has been using AxeFx for several years now.

• the klon sweetspot

I've never claimed (and never will claim) that there is ONE "sweet spot", I didn't even come up with the term "sweet spot" in the first place.

I tried very hard to explain and show how there are multiple ways to use a Klon pedal.

The current (beta) presets provided by Kemper don't cover these "multiple ways" at all, not even remotely. And that's mostly because none of these presets "play" with the Volume parameter, which is very important to achieve most of the "multiple ways". Even if Jeff Beck uses just a touch of boost ... still all of them use it. Some more, some less.

I was really surprised that NONE of the Kemper Drive (beta) presets uses the Volume parameter at all. And that's what I don't get at all. I've even read somewhere in this forum a short discussion about how the Kemper Drive's "clean component" seems too dominant/loud. And at least part of this effect is that NONE of the presets push a clean/cleanish amp anywhere into overdrive/saturation. All of these presets solely use the Gain knob for saturation. Again, none of the famous artists using Klons does that (apart from maybe James Hetfield's secret use of it).

• I already asked this. No official answer. Still don't know if it is intentional. If it is, what is the point of two identical presets with different names?!

As I said before, in low drive settings, OD and TS808 sound almost the same, as you increase the drive, there is variation, but it is not as radical as you would think. Actually the OD was initially meant to be a TS808 derivative, finally it didnt, but the difference is not that big. I have tried it against Ts808 clones, they are strikingly equal before 12 o´clock drive setting. Tone is a bit different also.

The answer is 42

• ....all of these presets solely use the Gain knob for saturation. Again, none of the famous artists using Klons does that (apart from maybe James Hetfield's secret use of it).

Their absence (or omission) has to be due to the fact that the 'other' uses are dependent of the amp being driven. You really can't make a 'pedal' preset that requires something else to sound correct. What might be cool is to have a series of Rigs intended to demonstrate exactly what you're referring to. A Klon pushing a dirty (or clean) amp, used as a boost, used in stacking.........

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Finally got it..thanks..

Welcome :)
    The shortest version of my point (in the Klon-specific discussion) would have been:

"The (beta) presets treat the Klon as if it only had 2 knobs. But it has 3 knobs for a reason with the third one probably being the most important one."

You really can't make a 'pedal' preset that requires something else to sound correct. What might be cool is to have a series of Rigs intended to demonstrate exactly what you're referring to. A Klon pushing a dirty (or clean) amp, used as a boost, used in stacking.........

Good point, would be good reason/opportunity for another "Kemper OD/DS Factory Rigs 8.0" rig pack.

But I'm sure they can also come up with presets and smart preset names like "KlonPushSoft", "KlonPushMedium", "KlonPushHard" etc.

I think both would be great. :)

Whoever made the Full OC stomp's presets understood the importance and use of the Volume parameter (and used it).

None of the Full OC presets have Volume at 0.0 ;)

• I've never claimed (and never will claim) that there is ONE "sweet spot", I didn't even come up with the term "sweet spot" in the first place.

I tried very hard to explain and show how there are multiple ways to use a Klon pedal.

The current (beta) presets provided by Kemper don't cover these "multiple ways" at all, not even remotely. And that's mostly because none of these presets "play" with the Volume parameter, which is very important to achieve most of the "multiple ways". Even if Jeff Beck uses just a touch of boost ... still all of them use it. Some more, some less.

I was really surprised that NONE of the Kemper Drive (beta) presets uses the Volume parameter at all. And that's what I don't get at all. I've even read somewhere in this forum a short discussion about how the Kemper Drive's "clean component" seems too dominant/loud. And at least part of this effect is that NONE of the presets push a clean/cleanish amp anywhere into overdrive/saturation. All of these presets solely use the Gain knob for saturation. Again, none of the famous artists using Klons does that (apart from maybe James Hetfield's secret use of it).

We might have brought you on this mission probably because we named the presets "sweetspots". If we didn't, then you could have seen our approach from a different perspective. I might suggest that we don't call the presets "sweetspots", but something else ...

The KD presets so far are made for comparison, and as a starting point, where (especially for the Klon) the additional parameters Definition and Slim Down are set accordingly to different Drive settings. But this approach might not be appealing to everyone.

In difference to the partially complex Delay and Reverbs, where presets are crucial for a starting point, I was under the impression that the three relevant pots of overdrive pedals are easy to handle. I have never met a guitarist who wasn't able to operate an overdrive pedal.

"Sweetspot" settings for an overdrive pedal might be less applicable than other presets IMHO, as the sonic result highly depends in the choice of the downstream amp profile and its settings.

Therefore full rigs including the right profile, combined with an appropriately set overdrive would tell the whole story. Not the overdrive preset alone.

• The point was to highlight that they sound litterally identical. This has not been common knowledge yet, unfortunately.

Chris, what about the behaviur of the tone and drive range knob?

In the addendum we got only mid and max position of the gain as preset reference: I suppose also minimum drive settings are the same of those models and all the tone settings behave as the original pedals?

EG: if I set the drive to 2 and tone to 3 they behave as low TS808/SD1 drive/tone settings (staying at 5 definition and 0 slim down)?

I am one of them that didn't know ts808 and SD1 they almost sound identical!

So... looking about the "max preset" , they sound identical , but I assume that SD-1 has more max gain then the TS808? Is it right?

• Yes, we probably overestimate the skills of our users.

You might have noticed (as mentioned), that in all KD presets the Tone control is always at noon.

Thus we should have even more presets called "KlonPushMediumBright" and "KlonPushHardMuffled"

We could also play with the Mix control of the reverbs and have something like "Loud Reverb" and "Less Loud Reverb".

You see where I come from?