[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• Yes, this the message of the presets.

The KDs Gain goes beyond the gain of most overdrives, for the highest and lowest value.

The "max" presets show the maximum settings for these pedals.

And yes, you read correctly: the SD-1 has more max gain than the TS808.

I see now that we forgot to have a min setting preset for the TS808, as it's a widely used setting.

However, there is still the Green Scream available ...

• the sonic result highly depends in the choice of the downstream amp profile and its settings.

Absolutely, no doubt about that.

But the same applies to the Full OC ... and in ALL of the Full OC presets the Volume parameter is actually used (not 0.0). ;)

What are you afraid of doing the same for overdrive pedals?

Therefore full rigs including the right profile, combined with an appropriately set overdrive would tell the whole story.

This would be great!

I was under the impression that the three relevant pots of overdrive pedals are easy to handle.

Well, they are easy to handle on the "real ones", the actual pedals.

Unfortunately, the Kemper Drive menu on the Profiler requires a second page for "Mix" and "Volume" while Full OC is lucky enough to have all parameters on a single page. Why does this make a difference (in handling)? Two reasons:

1. The first page on the Profiler's screen is the most obvious. Second page is already a bit like opening the Okko Diablo Gain+ and using the internal pots. :D Well, at least a little bit.

2. Quite a few stomp types have "Mix" and "Volume" parameters. Great, nice to have additional control if required but most of the time just left where it is (default). But sadly on an overdrive pedal it's such an important, I would even say integral part, that it doesn't immediately stick out like "Oh, what's that? Let me turn it and see what happens."

And that's why it helps a lot if presets actually make use of "all the 3 knobs of the Klon" ... on top of the fact that I keep saying that Klon presets with Volume at 0 don't make sense. ;)

• Well, as it’s still a beta, I still think it’s probably inconvenient to have to use look up tables to see how to make whatever pedal you may be used to work and dial in your favourite pedals settings.

Much simpler to just have separate pedal blocks where all the tone range and gain range match up perfectly with the named pedal.
    Keep the KD as well for people who like to mess about even further.

Either way, the KD is a great tool to be added.

• True.

But this cannot be solved by KD presets unfortunately, as it depends in the amp as well.

As you've learned working with guitar players for all these years - you can't solve this issue at all.

The fact is that electric guitar players are THE most neurotic and superstitious of all musician types. (Yes - I'm one of them) It's one reason Ned Steinberger pretty much limits himself to bass guitar. Which is a shame - that guy's mind is full of good ideas.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I see now that we forgot to have a min setting preset for the TS808, as it's a widely used setting.

It could be an idea: you could add - into the next addendum - a simple Reference Tab for the range of Tone and Drive of each pedal models, eg:

TS808 Ranges

Drive to xx (Min) to 8.5 (Max)

Tone: to xx (Min) to xx (Max)

And so on for the other models

....of course... you know which are the right XX translated into the KD :)

Thank you Chris, for the great work you - and your team - are still doing for this machine!!! :)

• Let's say I set up my Archer Ikon as I am used too. Output around noon, Treble to 1 o'clock, gain too taste 9 - 11 o'clock. The Archer at these settings acts as a nice boost with a hint of drive.

How do I achieve this sound with KD?! When I set the KD to full volume (+5) and raise the drive too get a hair of drive it seems too have much less volume, punch and bass as the Archer. The Archer itself still has plenty of boost on reserve!

I see now that we forgot to have a min setting preset for the TS808, as it's a widely used setting.

However, there is still the Green Scream available ...

So it is not possible to set the KD to a Tubescreamer with gain at zero and level full up?

A setting with Drive to zero and volume to 5+ doesn't do the same thing. Or my Tube Screamer Mini has way more output.

• What happens when you turn down the Kemper Drive Volume a bit, +2.5 or +3.0 for example?

As Christoph stated yesterday, +5.0 is very hot. A Tubescreamer doesn't have that much output gain and can't drive an amp into this much compression.

I have drive at 0 already?! +5 seems only very hot when Drive is set to higher values. Then there is more output available than my TS has. But I want 0 gain and only volume boost. In this case my Mini has more output

• Much simpler to just have separate pedal blocks where all the tone range and gain range match up perfectly with the named pedal.
    Keep the KD as well for people who like to mess about even further.

Either way, the KD is a great tool to be added.

100% this (I would also add the the volume matches the gain of the pedal, which is not the case now with most of the pedal blocks). I said the same thing several pages ago. Keep the KD for flexibility, but have separate pedal blocks that behave like the real pedal they are emulating. That would make everyone happy (flexibility) and avoid a lot of confusion about how to recreate the pedal tones you are accustomed to or want to copy from other players/idols, e.g., if I want to copy Bonamassa's Klon settings, I wouldn't currently be able to do that with the KD without a lot of guess work.

• I have drive at 0 already?! +5 seems only very hot when Drive is set to higher values. Then there is more output available than my TS has. But I want 0 gain and only volume boost. In this case my Mini has more output

I'll try to explain in more detail ... right after I repeat myself by telling you that the Tubescreamer does NOT have that much output! :)

Alright ... first of all, I meant the VOLUME parameter of the Kemper Drive. Take that down a bit and see what happens. In the meantime I tell you what happens (if your amp profile is relatively clean).

If you increase the input of a cleanish amp, the overall level will rise as well ... but ONLY up until the point where the amp starts to compress. If you continue to increase the input level, the overall level will start to drop. Compression = Level reduction (I don't use the term "gain reduction" here to avoid misunderstandings).

If your amp profile is completely clean, amp gain at zero, then an increease in input level will not push the amp into compression.

So again, just to be sure, if your amp profile has at least a little bit of gain, maybe just 1.0 or 2.0, then exactly what I wrote above happens. set Volume of Kemper Drive to 0.0 and slowly slowly increase it. If you can monitor the Kemper's output level (e.g. your audio interface's control software or inside your DAW) you will see how the Kemper's output slowly goes up, until the point of maximum tube saturation. Once you increase further, the Profiler's output will actually start to drop. Compression kicks in.

All this being said ... reduce the Volume of the Kemper Drive to e.g. 2.5 or 3.0 and you'll be more in the range of the Tubescreamer maximum. ;)

• Same with the "Horizon Attack". Quote from Horizon Devices video: "We recommend running Drive zero for most rhythmn tone application"!!!!

Set the Drive setting on the KD preset to zero and Volume to maximum +5 and it is pretty lame. Not what this pedal should do! Again my TS Mini has more power.

• Same with the "Horizon Attack". Quote from Horizon Devices video: "We recommend running Drive zero for most rhythmn tone application"!!!!

Set the Drive setting on the KD preset to zero and Volume to maximum +5 and it is pretty lame. Not what this pedal should do! Again my TS Mini has more power.

then what you want isnt a overdrive, use one of the boost you already have, treble boost works wonders for transparently pussing your amp on the breaking point. I believe it is not what it is supposed to do. Tough I get your frustration as they are comparing it to a TS808 so your expectancy is for it to do the same and a bit more. For me it is pretty clear the KD is a completely new drive with flexible capabilities, it is not meant to do all what the other overdrive pedals can, but its own thing that casually can sound like all those beforementioned pedals.

The answer is 42

• lightbox

Just try yourself.

When I take a preset and set Drive parameter to 0.0!! Then KD volume +5 is weaker than my TS (drive zero + level full up).

When I take volume down it is even weaker.

When used with a clean or edge of breakup profile the KD can not push the amp as much as my TS Mine.

I use the real Pedal to Kemper Input.

• Ibot39 Have you read and understood my post #433?

Regarding your recommendation to try it myself ... I do this since so many years, I can't even count them. And in the last 48 hours I did it more often than I wish I had done (with my overdrive pedals). :D

Since I don't own exactly your pedal model, I can't test exactly this particular setup. But I can tell you for sure that a Tubescreamer pedal does NOT have as much output as the Volume +5.0 setting of the Kemper Drive pumps into the amp block.

• Ibot39 Have you read and understood my post #433?

Regarding your recommendation to try it myself ... I do this since so many years, I can't even count them. And in the last 48 hours I did it more often than I wish I had done (with my overdrive pedals). :D

Since I don't own exactly your pedal model, I can't test exactly this particular setup. But I can tell you for sure that a Tubescreamer pedal does NOT have as much output as the Volume +5.0 setting of the Kemper Drive pumps into the amp block.

My mistake was, I was on a Horizon preset and didn't noticed it :S On this preset with higher Definition setting it seemed / is weaker than my TS Mini.