[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• Just now I tried with Full OC, Green Scream, Mouse, Metal DS ... same issue with all of them.

I tried using the same DI track I used in the first demo (Strat with some heavy strumming that makes the Profiler's input LED flash green with some rare peaks into brief yellow).

Up until around 2.3 or 2.5 the boost seems pretty natural and "open" ... from that point further up this weird compression starts to kick in.

That's my point since days.

It is not something related to the KD, but probably you are facing a software bug.

When we chatted about your comparisons to your Klone and volume boost a week ago, we discussed that the boost really kicks when the AMP Gain is set above 2.0, which is a crucial thing, but not related to this bug.

During your comparisons, such a "volume drop" bug must have occured as well, but you didn't mention it a week ago.

Did it happen back then as well?

• During your comparisons, such a "volume drop" bug must have occured as well, but you didn't mention it a week ago.

Did it happen back then as well?

I think I mentioned pretty early in our conversation that with Volume set to +5.0 "I would need about 2.8dB more loudness".

Only after further testing (and I did a LOT of testing in recent days, haha) I noticed this undesired volume drop effect between 2.3 and 5.0 (in my "Klon" case). My guess is that I didn't try the transition slowly. I just noticed it wasn't enough so I quickly just turned it to 5 ... not checking what happens on the way there.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I even tried to further boost the signal with a flat EQ (after the KD) just to add more volume from its parameter. But it didn't work.

• I think I mentioned pretty early in our conversation that with Volume set to +5.0 "I would need about 2.8dB more loudness".

Only after further testing (and I did a LOT of testing in recent days, haha) I noticed this undesired volume drop effect between 2.3 and 5.0 (in my case). My guess is that I didn't try the transition slowly. I just noticed it wasn't enough so I quickly just turned it to 5 ... not checking what happens on the way there.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I even tried to further boost the signal with a flat EQ (after the KD) just to add more volume from its parameter. But it didn't work.

You missed 2.8 dB in volume boost into the amps gain.

This might be correct and mean that your Klon delivers 26.8 dB of volume boost (no pedal does more), while the KD delivers 24 dB (not that big difference ...)

While testing this, you would have surely noticed an unnatural volume drop of the profile, when increasing (!) the KD volume knob.

I am sure it wasn't there a week ago.

No other user has described similar behaviour yet.

I could not reproduce that behaviour either when I check the rig that you have posted on this thread.

Therefore I have to assume that you are just now encountering a specific bug on your device, that I would like to discover.

It would be helpful if you could send a backup to Burhard.

• I need a little help finding new Od's,Where will i find them?

once you have installed both the new Rig Manager and the new OS 8.0 beta to your devices, then you have to load the presets to your Rig Manager or your Profiler.

For this you have to download the compressed file for OS 8.0 from the download section of the Kemper website, on beta versions. Inside there is a folder containing the presets.

Once you have that folder you can drag and drop the presets to a presets folder inside Rig Manager.

If you want you can also put them into a USB stick into the Shared folder and once you plug it to your Kemper you then have to press Import.

• ckemper  lightbox

In order to throw some more light over this issue I have gone back to my Rig Manager and DAW reamping thru the same rig that lightbox shared with us from his videos.

I have then measured the dB on different Volume settings of the KD, feeding a very short loop of just a chord from a DI and just using a simple VU meter from the DAW.

The results under my test where the following:

Volume -5 = -46dB

Volume -2.5= -43dB

Volume 0= -40dB

Volume 2.5= -34dB

Volume 5= -24dB

This confirms my initial observation that in my KPA there is an increase of volume over the 2.2 setting.

I insist that we might be talking here about a "perceived volume" issue.

Maybe lightbox can make a simple test like mine to see if there is a real volume issue or not.

• Atlantic Can you level your DAW's ReAmp output in such a way that the Kemper's input LED briefly lights yellow on the transients (or more) and redo your test, please? And please make sure your Clean, Dist and Reamp Sense are set to default 0.0

And yes, it will not necessarily result in a peak level drop but the "perceived volume" (aka LOUDNESS meter) shows a slight drop.

Regardless of meters, you should also be able to hear how the sound starts to "step back", starts to loose its "openness".

ckemper I can't share a backup because it's too much hassle to remove all the stuff that I can't share and then get it back up. Just do the same, Atlantic does including my remarks here in this post. As I said many times, I have more than one Profiler ... it's the same regardless which one I use.

Also, just for the record, the Colorsound Power Boost goes well beyond the maximum output of the Klon. ;)

• Thanks for doing this. As a non-expert I would say then, the real pedals do something different when upping the volume knob, as raising the volume of KD can do. Different frequencies are pushing the amp?!

• Atlantic Can you level your DAW's ReAmp output in such a way that the Kemper's input LED briefly lights yellow on the transients (or more) and redo your test, please? And please make sure your Clean, Dist and Reamp Sense are set to default 0.0

And yes, it will not necessarily result in a peak level drop but the "perceived volume" (aka LOUDNESS meter) shows a slight drop.

Regardless of meters, you should also be able to hear how the sound starts to "step back", starts to loose its "openness".

lightbox you are right. I redid my test uping the input of the DI track till the looped short chord turned the input led yellow. Because the loop is so short I can make that light a somewhat "permanent" yellow.

The results:

Volume -5= -23 dB

Volume -2.5= -19dB

Volume 0 = -16dB

Volume 2.5= -15dB

Volume 5= -17dB

Again lightbox you are right.

• Thanks a lot, Atlantic :)

As a huge fan of dynamic amp rigs, I love how soft picking/strumming keeps the amp (relative) clean. But once you wanna "rock", you'd naturally strum harder. So this hard strumming is supposed to push the amp ... and the overdrive is supposed to help pushing.

Let me try in other words, using your measurements:

The total dynamic range your volume parameter settings from -5.0 to +2.5 (or +5.0) results in just about 8dB difference, at best.

That's ridiculously low as we've already stated that a real overdrive pedal can push wayyyyyy harder.

Christoph stated something like 24dB for a Klon, just as an example.

And I think Christoph will be able to see/hear the same with your and my advise how to check.

Thanks again for confirming :)

Can you also hear how it seems not only to be a volume thing but also affects the perceived "openness" and kind of "steps back", "compresses" for the lack of better words? My guess (without in-depth analysis) is that the transients with their high frequency content get compressed which results in a slightly muffled, less open sound.

• Thank you my friend appreciate the help very much!

• As a work around, couldn't you guys put a pure boost at the end of the post amp chain to get the volume back and then set both the KD and the PB to activate/deactivate on the same foot controller press?

• As a work around, couldn't you guys put a pure boost at the end of the post amp chain to get the volume back and then set both the KD and the PB to activate/deactivate on the same foot controller press?

Yes and I have done that for a couple years now haha. But it’s a needless workaround and waste of an effects slot. Or, we can just solve this mystery and get a realistic amount of dB from the Stomps :thumbup:

• Yes and I have done that for a couple years now haha. But it’s a needless workaround and waste of an effects slot. Or, we can just solve this mystery and get a realistic amount of dB from the Stomps :thumbup:

Apparently it's only when you hit the input with a loud signal. So there must be some security related configuration that justifies it.

The dynamic range in my first test at a lower input volume was very similar to the 24 dB that CK told for the Klon.

As a work around, couldn't you guys put a pure boost at the end of the post amp chain to get the volume back and then set both the KD and the PB to activate/deactivate on the same foot controller press?

This works to boost the complete signal but does not work to get the dynamic range back to normal values.

Edited once, last by Atlantic ().

• This works to boost the complete signal but does not work to get the dynamic range back to normal values.

Since you can now reproduce the situation ... I don't think you can further boost the signal with a Pure Boost after the Kemper Drive. You can try it, I'm currently not in my studio but I'm pretty sure that once this level drop happens, you can't further boost the amp that way.

• Since you can now reproduce the situation ... I don't think you can further boost the signal with a Pure Boost after the Kemper Drive. You can try it, I'm currently not in my studio but I'm pretty sure that once this level drop happens, you can't further boost the amp that way.

I already did it. You can. It works. Only if you put the boost after the stack.

But as I already told to OneEng1 it's only a partial fix.

I think it is better to just wait and see what ckemper has to say about this. If it is working as intended for some security reason and they can't fix it.

Or maybe what would be more desirable that is they can fix it and have the 24dB dynamic range even if you have a loud input signal.

Only if they can't fix it would make sense to start looking for workarounds.

Whatever the answer is, I would like to thank ckemper . For everything.

• Let me try to clarify what I was saying. With external pedals you are boosting the signal into the Kemper , just how you would expect an overdrive to be used on a traditional amp ( though you really can’t push it in the same way anyways because there are no tubes to drive into distortion) So it becomes a boost in volume with what’re gain setting you chose on the pedal, that is not how many people use OD pedals ( I use mine with less gain but set to push the tubes more) . But, with the Kemper the KD boost becomes more set for unity so you don’t get a large jump in sounds as typically you set the clean sense so you don’t have a large jump in volumes between clean and distorted sounds and seems some kind of limiter/compression and that kind of defeats the boost effect as far as how it pushes ( or at least for the effect that is missing in an OD) But... by using the clean sense adjustment you should be able to make the boost more noticeable and react as expected or closer.

This is what I am going to play around with as per CK’s suggestion. Though we do not have tubes to push, so we have to try and simulate the effect and sound differently.

Edited once, last by drog ().