[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• Discussing issues with the software is great, discussing issues with each other not.

I agree.

Input volume that affects the boosting abilities of the KD, a type of pedal that is very often used for boosting I think is a relevant topic in this thread.

At least it would be relevant to know how to use it and how not.

In a perfect world we would be able to use the KD or Green Scream as any real overdrive pedal. But we know the digital realm has not only an immense amount of advantages but also some limitations.

The new stomps, KD and Full OC, sound very good and they are very usable, no doubt about that.

Also they have some issues with the volume compensation in the pre stack section of the KPA like it seems to happen with any other effect that can boost the signal. Maybe it is not something new. But it is relevant now for this beta release.

If there is some design features that can't be changed, at least talking about it might lead us to find some workarounds.

Vinny Burns asked why we need that volume compensation and then need to use Clean Sens for adjustment.

I also wonder if for the regular use of overdrive stomps it could be useful not having that volume compensation so they work on a more realistic way when you boost the signal.

• Vinny Burns asked why we need that volume compensation and then need to use Clean Sens for adjustment.

I also wonder if for the regular use of overdrive stomps it could be useful not having that volume compensation so they work on a more realistic way when you boost the signal.

the issue seems to be running a very hot signal into a clean(ish) profile. This has always has a volume compensation effect which is very useful. It is part of the way the whole Kemper system works. Cleans Sens is a valuable way of level matching clean and dirty rigs globally instead of needing to set each rig level manually.

some say it requires resetting for every different guitar but in reality once set it is pretty usable for all but extreme outliers. I run mine around the same setting all the time and lock it then just work like I am using a real amp. However, if clean sens is set too high and/or a very high level signal is used) there are always volume limits on the dirty sounds. ckemper explained a good test for this several posts back. Anyone who isn’t sure about exactly what clean sens does should walk through Christophe’s example.

It seems to me that many people experience a level issue because they assume clean sens should be left at the default 0 setting.

• Here is a wav of a loop set to input, with me toggling between the KD 808 Mid preset and the Green Scream set up as the corresponding diagram of the real pedal. Both Stomp levels are at 0.0

I start off by switching between them every time the loop loops, but at the end much more frequently. The differences are subtle, but I can definitely hear a more nasal, mid-focused sound on the Green Scream, whereas the KD has a more open top end.

Has there been an official answer, why these sound - obviously - different?

• Perhaps there's a way in which the digital drives can't be used that real OD pedals can? You guys are speaking over my head now, but I've found the thread interesting. It might just be an inherent limit to the technology? Perhaps a limit based on the volume compensation of the KPA? That feature, is unique to the KPA and one of it's most amazing features, eliminating the hassle of all digital all-in-ones for decades, of having to go back and forth between presets and saving again and again to get them to match in volume, every time you want to adjust the gain of the amp or overdrive model. (BTW if someday a next gen KPA ever goes the direction of the Helix/Neural and takes away this volume matching feature, and takes away rig spillover//no audio gap and uses the DSP for the ability to create mammoth presets with no fixed signal path, I won't buy it.)

So if the volume matching feature is what creates one potential limit in the use of the drive models, so be it. No offense, but more of us users benefit from this feature than those of us who would benefit without it. The KPA does have an effects loop, the stage has two, and takes external OD pedals well, and the few people expressing need for this limitation clearly already own the real pedals. The KPA also allows you to profile your own amp as many times and ways as you like, with and without your external pedals pushing the amp hard.

A few potential work arounds: 1) just use your real OD pedals with the KPA, which you already own, or make your own profiles with 2) Perhaps upping the amps profile's gain a tad in tandem with turning the Kemper Drive on will get a tad closer to the results you're after. Yes we know that turning the drive past the level it was profiled at significantly starts to sound fake, but I find you can push it a little higher and sound just fine. If you don't need the morph feature for other things in that rig, doing this wouldn't even require creating separate rigs. Simply set the mix of the KDrive to zero, then in morph state set it to 100% while simultaneously upping the amp's gain, or whatever other EQ or effect value that get you closer to the sound.

Edited once, last by Grooguit ().

• Allow me to say I came here expecting some nice discusion but I have already gotten one of the most insightful posts in my audio life. THANK YOU. I can hear the difference while recording from 16 bit to 24 bit, but I also am very skeptical about the extreme some audiophiles go. I consider myself more of an audio enthusiast than anything. Now I can use this example with a couple of friends with conflicted ideas, pretty evident and really studio appliable. Pretty entertaining also.

The answer is 42

• I should've made it clearer -- my conjecture was not about the effect of overflow itself but about the effects of a possible internal "overflow limiter" if you will.

We know the KD volume knob gives 24 dB of gain, and the gain knob probably gives upwards of 40 dB of gain. If @ single-precision 144 dB, that leaves ~84 dB dynamic range for the guitar signal going into KD. Maybe with unexpectedly high level gain staging into the Kemper, and with the KD knobs turned up, the it hits an overflow prevent limit...?

This idea has already been debunked by CK, so I'm just having fun now. Hope he finds out what's wrong and can fix it soon, and maybe shares with us what it was for funsies.

We all are just trying to feed some tought on the whole topic, it is quite interesting, I have read a ton of gold post heres, I am even more hands on this beta process than ever, and have learnt a lot experimenting around. Such a nice community indeed.

The answer is 42

• So, please let's discuss the KPA here, I love the KD, and I hope there will be a second KD, which would be the Kemper Distortion. And of course a KF, with octaves function (all-in-one). Then comes the KC (compressor) with different flavors... Hmmm... I see a trend here.

in that case this Beta for overdrives should be the "KO" no?

• Allow me to say I came here expecting some nice discusion but I have already gotten one of the most insightful posts in my audio life. THANK YOU. I can hear the difference while recording from 16 bit to 24 bit, but I also am very skeptical about the extreme some audiophiles go. I consider myself more of an audio enthusiast than anything. Now I can use this example with a couple of friends with conflicted ideas, pretty evident and really studio appliable. Pretty entertaining also.

For an informative reading on 16/24 bit audio playback and other "hi-fi" audio topics, check out this article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20…neil-young.html#toc_1bv2b

(webpage is currently down for some reason, so linking the archived page)

And consider in most domestic quiet spaces there's ~40 dB SPL of ambient noise, so even if you listen to music at a very loud 100 dB SPL, your environment itself only allows for 60 dB/10 bits of dynamic range :P

• One hint could be his recommendation to push the volume for the reamping.

However, if his very large volume drop was a side effect of the high level reamping, then he purposely choosed a very exaggerated reamping volume that gave him a much more gainy sound than by playing the original guitar level. Usually you would try to approach the original guitar level for the reamping signal.

But @lightbox's use case is not outside the expected norm. Your manual itself says "The INPUT LED provides a further gauge for correct leveling: the

LED should flash yellow when you hit the strings hard," which is exactly what he did.

One can also imagine a use case where someone uses an external boost pedal alongside the Kemper Drive volume boost. They will also experience the currently discussed issue.

• It's a shame that I think the small arguments killed a bit the mood of the thread. But I think a lot of us where learning a lot in the process.

I will try and go back to the learning bit.

I think tomorrow I will have the chance to borrow a Maxon OD from my bandmate and I will do some testing against the KD.

My tests of the Full OC against my real Fulltone OCD 1.7 where very impressive as I already told here. I hope to get similar results with the Maxon.

• Not sure if this has been addressed, I have a performance that has 3 effects on a button so when I hit it, it turns on ocd drive, turns off a reverb and on a different reverb. When I use that slot on the performance and switch to another slot or another performance, the button with 3 effects gets copied over to. The same effects don’t copy over but the button changes to turn on and off the same effect slots gets copied if that makes sense. If I change slots or performances again, it goes back to normal.

• Not sure if this has been addressed, I have a performance that has 3 effects on a button so when I hit it, it turns on ocd drive, turns off a reverb and on a different reverb. When I use that slot on the performance and switch to another slot or another performance, the button with 3 effects gets copied over to. The same effects don’t copy over but the button changes to turn on and off the same effect slots gets copied if that makes sense. If I change slots or performances again, it goes back to normal.

Are you contacted to Rig Manager? It assumes you are in Performance Edit Mode. Whether you are or not, I suggest contacting Kemper Support.

• My remote bug....

As no one else has seen this, I think it must be a dodgy cable....strange thing is, stomps appeared on one profile in browse, which happened to be a profile I added the new KD to...

Anyway, I'll upgrade to next beta ( in case its a corruption) and get a new cable to resolve.

Well chuffed with the cable - it came with the kemper 6 years ago and I've used it live on hundreds of gigs with no issues!!

Edited once, last by V8guitar ().

• wow this is deep,,,too deep for me,,,,

I bought the kemper, because it is the best amp sound, I could find,hands down, NOT because it was,, or would be,, the best EFX machine,,all in one solution,,,no piece of gear is, or in my opinion , will ever be,,

I have a silver klon, a Greer light speed,, and a boss CE-3, Kempers' delays are perfect,,,,, I have NEVER found a sim,, that sounds/reacts,and most importantly, FEELS exactly like my dirt/ overdrive/distortion, pedals,as good as some are,,,So,,,,,, I have my few pedals in front of Mr Kemper,( I treat it just like an amp),,never in 35 years have I had such a long stretch of tone happiness,,,,,everything here discussed my have some tech relevance,I'm sure,,and I'm not slighting it one bit( excuses the pun),,,, but it has nothing to do making music,,for which the Kemper was built ,,TO MAKE MUSIC,,,

7 years now, It still BLOWS me away every time I turn it on and play,,,,,,,,( I run the input very low, so when I hit it with pedals, I have plenty of room,,)

get a great profile, find your fav pedal,, and play,, my 2 cents,,,peace out

• I bought the kemper, because it is the best amp sound, I could find,hands down, NOT because it was,, or would be,, the best EFX machine ... 7 years now, It still BLOWS me away every time I turn it on and play

I 100% agree with you. And what you describe is exactly what I do since 8 years ... and likely continue to do with great pleasure. Real pedal(s) in front and the world is good for me.

But apart from that being said, I'm still curious enough to try new stuff to see if it gets me where I want.

Let me keep this post short for a change and just link a video snippet (from 1:26 to 2:05) that quotes Bill Finnegan himself and what he had in mind when he made the Klon .... and then I think everyone will understand why I kept using the term "openness" which is quite the opposite of what a Tubescreamer (and the Kemper Drive) actually does.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• wow this is deep,,,too deep for me,,,,

I bought the kemper, because it is the best amp sound, I could find,hands down, NOT because it was,, or would be,, the best EFX machine,,all in one solution,,,no piece of gear is, or in my opinion , will ever be,,

I have a silver klon, a Greer light speed,, and a boss CE-3, Kempers' delays are perfect,,,,, I have NEVER found a sim,, that sounds/reacts,and most importantly, FEELS exactly like my dirt/ overdrive/distortion, pedals,as good as some are,,,So,,,,,, I have my few pedals in front of Mr Kemper,( I treat it just like an amp),,never in 35 years have I had such a long stretch of tone happiness,,,,,everything here discussed my have some tech relevance,I'm sure,,and I'm not slighting it one bit( excuses the pun),,,, but it has nothing to do making music,,for which the Kemper was built ,,TO MAKE MUSIC,,,

7 years now, It still BLOWS me away every time I turn it on and play,,,,,,,,( I run the input very low, so when I hit it with pedals, I have plenty of room,,)

get a great profile, find your fav pedal,, and play,, my 2 cents,,,peace out

The Kemper is great. I wish I could be as satisfied with only one guitar as I am satisfied with the Kemper as my only amp.

But it is OK to look for improvements or to try and find the limits when we are testing a beta release.

When the delays or reverbs where released some haters where (like always) saying that the KPA had not enough power(because it is outdated, the DSP is out of production and all that rubbish) to cope with the algorithms or whatever. Because there where some bugs in the betas. Like there always are.

Reverbs are DSP power hungry.

I remember that when the new reverbs beta came out, I tested loading a reverb in ALL slots. All 8 of them. For me if the KPA was able to take 8 reverbs it would be a way to demonstrate that it did not lack any processing power, despite the opinions of some people. And do you know what happened when I did it the first time? The KPA crashed. And I reported back to Kemper with that bug. A couple of beta releases later, that bug was fixed and the KPA was taking 8 reverbs in line like a champ. So, when testing a beta release the critical users that put the KPA to the limit do a lot more for the community than the ones that only clap and say everything is great and enjoy the great tool that the KPA is.