[Public Beta] PROFILER OS 8.0.0.21450

• Vetting and improving software (firmware, in this case) is a messy business. Disagreements and even arguments are not uncommon.

In my mind, they should be taking place with some regularity. If they aren't, the system is satisfactory - or no one cares.

I've been around coders and software-types (engineers in general, really) long enough to know that when you change something *here* it will affect (or break) something over *there*. Even when the two areas don't appear even remotely related, and you think you've allowed for all possibilities. You haven't - and that's how it works. Even with all the data, time, and experience they have - automotive engineers know they have to actually *build* the thing and see what grandma does with it. Because grandma's going to back into the trashcan and pound that transmission into dust. Thereby uncovering a weakness no one ever thought possible.

You iterate until whatever is 'broken' is either non-existent (sometimes impossible) or until that 'broken' piece manifests in an area that is inconsequential or so imperceptible you need diagnostic tools to see it.

This thread is part of that process. Some of it looks good, bad and some is downright ugly.

At least, in my opinion, this is as it should be.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I 100% agree with you. And what you describe is exactly what I do since 8 years ... and likely continue to do with great pleasure. Real pedal(s) in front and the world is good for me.

But apart from that being said, I'm still curious enough to try new stuff to see if it gets me where I want.

Let me keep this post short for a change and just link a video snippet (from 1:26 to 2:05) that quotes Bill Finnegan himself and what he had in mind when he made the Klon .... and then I think everyone will understand why I kept using the term "openness" which is quite the opposite of what a Tubescreamer (and the Kemper Drive) actually does.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i am late to this - has anyone done a blind a/b test between the KD (KO) Klon presets and the real Klon or even clone? And correctly guess the real thing? Are they close or very different and distinct?

• I feel the hardware to be a little warmer in most cases than the presets but nothing you will hear in a mix and probably nothing you can't compensate with the KD controls

Check that from a guy who knows how to use a Klon and see how the difference is massive. Huge, warm low end and still open and all "forward". Don't buy a Klon and try to make it a Tubescreamer. Wasted money. ;) Either indulge in an hour long Klon demo or just watch from 15:16 for a quick rendezvous with what a Klon actually does.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Are there any changes to the Kemper Drive, Full OC, or the Presets since the beta OS 8.0.0.21450

8.0.2.22186 Public Beta

Thanks!

ST

• Check that from a guy who knows how to use a Klon and see how the difference is massive. Huge, warm low end and still open and all "forward". Don't buy a Klon and try to make it a Tubescreamer. Wasted money. ;) Either indulge in an hour long Klon demo or just watch from 15:16 for a quick rendezvous with what a Klon actually does.

HI, regarding this "Don't buy a Klon and try to make it a Tubescreamer. Wasted money"

I dont understand. What is the point of this comment? How do you make a Klon a tubscreamer?

• I have been doing my initial tests comparing the Maxon OD with the Kemper Drive.

I have been able to get very similar tones. Not 100% the same, but close enough.

What I have found more difficult is to match the "mix". Maybe it is an inherent characteristic of the Maxon OD, I don´t know. But I found that there is more wet (more overdriven) signal in the Maxon OD than the 100% mix value in the KD.

This is using a classic setup of a Deluxe Reverb profile just on the edge of breakup and the KD/Maxon in front of it.

• Have you seen this italian guy in the other video trying to compare his Klon to the Kemper Drive presets? Just listen to his sound and switch to the video I posted, back and forth ... then you'll understand ;) It's a galaxy of a difference.

i see your point, thank you for sharing the video. The Klon pedal sound great yes. What parameter need to be added to the KD to get more closer to this tone?

• What parameter need to be added to the KD to get more closer to this tone?

See the RTA graph with white noise of both pedals in default setting to see the basic difference.

Centura Default:

Kemper Drive Default:

I think these 2 graphs show how the basic character of the Kemper Drive at default is already this kind of honky bass cut and treble cut with a mid boost ... while the Centura (and a Klon Centaur) behave completely different.

Maybe I'll make another video to show how the controls affect the sound of each, and how the Kemper Drive can't simulate a Klon as it is, neither as a boost, nor in the frequency response.

PS: And here's two more graphs for comparison

Green Scream Default:

Colorsound Power Boost Default:

I had to turn the white noise 20dB down to avoid clipping even at the minimum volume of the Colorsound Power Boost!

• And here's a video I just made to demo the different characters of a few overdrives and their strengths, ranges and limitations

• Kemper Drive: it's not perfect, it has some limitations, it is not a Klon nor a Precision Drive (even when it has some resemblence to both). But it is still a damn good overdrive! Big thanks and thumbs up to Kemper team.

-Jari