Is it normal to have to turn down almost all treble and presence?

• Hi. Garage type of band. Two Kempers, both of us are maily using humbucker Gibson guitars. I'm a blues/early rock guy. My mate dials in early 80's rock and ha likes a lot of mid eq. We have tried at great number of high quality Rigs. Tried different guitars, P90, active passive mics.

We go main out to a Allen & Heath QU-16. IEM is a low budget Shure and we use Shure earplugs, and I'v tried a couple off headphones as well. - The strange thing is that both guitars is extremely trebley, we turn down presences to -3,6 or lower, treble is turned down to - 3.0 or lower. Pure cab is off on one KPA and turn way up on the other. We tried to eq the mixer but that kills the vocals. Is it normal to have to turn down almost all treble and presence on the guitars. -Monitor out/guitar cab sound is ok. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Hi, lobster56,

Check the Output EQ

Press the Output button

Go to page 4/8

Adjust Output EQ as necessary

This will affect only the EQ on the main outputs (and you won't have to change the EQ on the mixer).

Does that help?

ST

• Hi. That is what we do. Is that normal, to have to reduce treble and presences that much?

• From my personal experience with Shure SE215 earphones, the IEM is the cause of your issue. Try using memory foam cushions on your IEMs instead of the thin rubber tips that typically come with them. Memory foam will give you a much tighter seal, and better low end and mids.

From my personal experience with Shure SE215 earphones, the IEM is the cause of your issue. Try using memory foam cushions on your IEMs instead of the thin rubber tips that typically come with them. Memory foam will give you a much tighter seal, and better low end and mids.

I am sure you're right. But, the over all sound, vocal and other instruments sounds just fine? It is only our Kemper guitars that are very sharp sounding. I'm not using in ears now, I'm using Sennheiser hearphones and I still have to lower treble and presence. I'm curious of course, do you all leave Main out treble and presence at 0, or with just some minor tweaks?

• Hellu.

I use the "Studio EQ" in X slot and adjust "High Gain" and "High Freq"

depending on how harsh or fizzy the profile is.

Approx -6 dB and 8000 Hz ( example )

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• This is so interesting to me.

I have the opposite thing going on where i usually end up turning the treble and presence up a whole point or 3. Not sure when this started. I got a taste for that hairy zizzle and it's tough sometimes to go back to a darker tone where I used to be.

• I would also check the definition control setting in the amp section. I have had a few that this control was very high. Turning it down can tame some of the highs as well.

This has helped me a lot....

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• this seems strange to me. I almost never feel the need to reduce treble or presence at all. I don’t run an EQ fx either. I just find a profile that floats my boat and play. Of course, I understand that many of us do want to tweak the tone to achieve a very specific result and that is absolutely fine its all just personal taste and different workflows. However, the need to reduce treble and presence to that extent sounds like something else is wrong in the signal path or the KpA is faulty.