New Kemper user footswitch options

• Hi guys

I haven’t bought one yet but I’m looking to buy ASAP, just waiting for a good deal to come along.

I’ll be using the rack mainly for home sessions, rehearsals, live use, recording potentially at some point although I’m already set in my ways plug-in wise.

main requirements are to be able to move from heads/pedalboards/cables everywhere to a simple everything in a rack setup.

In the rack would be power conditioner, power amp, guitar wireless receiver, possibly my rack tuner, kemper rack all going into a kemper cab.

however I’m looking at being able to keep the flexibility of possibly using my pedals in the future, rack mounted in a drawer, if necessary adding something like a VL rack switcher. If I do that at some point I’d like the ability to easily swap between kemper profiles AND add in external pedals (loop and preamp) with one foot switch.

Reading a lot it looks like the kemper remote would be best if I didn’t choose to add the pedals in the future, but a different option may be better if I decide I do want to. Bear in mind the pedals I’m talking about range from simple Phase 90 which would just need to be on/off to more unusual delays which are midi controllable with presets etc.

Any advice?

• I would agree with your assessment of the situation.

for a Kemper Only rig the Remote is PERFECT. For a rig with external midi switching I would strongly recommend a dedicated midi controller. There are several great options all with theor own pros and cons. I am familiar with the RJM Mastermind series and can highly recommend it. Also, if you want the option to have pedal on the floor but still be in true bypass loops the new GigRig G3 looks like the one to beat. When I bought my RJM Mastermind PBC it was a close run race between that and the GigRig G2. The G2’s ridiculously poor midi facilities ruled it out for me. However, G3 appears to solve that and more! If I was in the market for a midi controller with pedal loops it would definitely be top of my list now.

• I use the Kemper Remote and external pedals through a voodoo labs hex MIDI switch, connected to the KP fx loop. If you want to rackmount your pedals, this could be a clean solution, Hex can be rack mounted or go underneath your pedalboard.

In performance mode you can recall the MIDI programs.

more details here: MBritt external pedal

Another option is to use Mastermind MIDI capable products, as mentioned above.

Mastermind PCB explained

https://youtu.be/NlhoKHY4V2c

GigRig G3 looks promising, too.

Edited 2 times, last by Syntek ().

• Thanks all for your replies, I’ve read them with great interest!

sounds like I’m thinking along the right lines, tbh.

1) In terms of the more ‘budget’ controllers out there like the Behringer and the Ground Control Pro - would they have the ability to for example load a preset and power on an individual pedal (connected through a switcher like a Hex or GCX) in one press? If yes, what about the same thing but going one step further and loading specific preset on the MIDI capable pedal?

2) what are the limitations of just using the kemper remote if I went with for example just a couple of key pedals such as midi programmable delays/modulation effects? Would I be able to achieve the switching in one click but just be limited to fewer separate loops?

Thanks

• 2) what are the limitations of just using the kemper remote if I went with for example just a couple of key pedals such as midi programmable delays/modulation effects? Would I be able to achieve the switching in one click but just be limited to fewer separate loops?

Thanks

Yes, you will be able to switch in one click.

The limitation if any would be in the KPA, not in the Remote. The midi programing and command changes are done in the KPA, the Remote does not trigger MIDI commands, it switches stomps on/off and changes Rigs/Performances.

Check these old threads.

KPA FX loop + MIDI commands

How to control many external pedal loops using the Kemper SOLVED

or Check Main Manual, section "MIDI", paragraph "Transmitting MIDI Commands to Two External Devices in Performance Mode". In Performance Mode, each Performance Slot can be programmed to send two MIDI PC changes, on two separate MIDI channels.

• I have a bunch of vintage pedals MXR flanger, C-1 chorus, 74 Script 90 etc. At one time I had a ground control GCX that ran channels and my pedal drawer. I can do everything with the Kemper I need and I don't miss the Vintage pedals at all. Or my microphones. Or my tube amps. Or the weight. Or my rack tuner. Or audio cables going back and forth to trip on and get stomped. The foot controller is a must as far as I'm concerned for live use. To be able to set up morph super easy, (Awesome) and the automatic latch momentary fx switches are great. Plus the size is compact and well laid out. You can even change the direction of the bank buttons!

You'll likely find your rack tuner for sale as the tuner in the Kemper is great and having come from a 1101 floor unit (that had a tuner that was not nearly as good as a $14.00 Korg) I rarely use the tuner button as the fading lights on the footcontroller get me there! And there's a clock too!