Using a valve amp live for monitoring

• Hi all. What is the main reason/objection to using a valve amp for monitoring onstage? I get a really great sound on stage (using return channel from a Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 36 watt combo) but wonder if I am not hearing the profile sounds as intended (the way I am hearing them through the amp) or whether my onstage sound would be noticeably better with a solid state amp . Any information would be great please :)

• in a small room I just use the kemper,, on the bigger indoor and out door stages, I use my matchless head into a 1 12 cab,,as a stage monitor,, direct out to house,, EVERY soundman i've run into in the last 7 years of Kemper, has asked me to turn UP,,,and LOVED MY TONE,,,,its just what I like,, there are no rules,,,thanks CK,,,,,lovin the drives,,,

• If you are plugging into the effects return of a combo you are only engaging the power section and the speaker. So depending on your profile and the cab on which it was based on the sound can be different I guess...I run my monitor out into the return of a Joyo Zombie hooked up to a cabinet for on stage monitoring. In fact for small venues I think using just the power amp and cab with the Kemper should do just fine...

• Thanx for your replies guys. I thought it was taboo to use a valve amp & was not sure why. I just watched a Rhett Shull video where he used one, so feel better now. I have my main outputs sent to PA in stereo & my amp (monitor out) in mono & I record our band from the desk most nights. The guys at Kemper are awesome. I do not have any weird effects drop out monitoring in mono at all. Great unit-loving it. :)

• monitor out to the front of my matchless HC 15,, master on 10 channel depends on room, never had it past 4,, sounds fantastic, but run the amp CLEAN or you will be adding distortion form the amp,, I like my profile,,,,, so clean amp for me,,Its the best of all worlds,for me,,,,,,

• Hi Edmayfloyd,

Hi all. What is the main reason/objection to using a valve amp for monitoring onstage? I get a really great sound on stage (using return channel from a Hughes & Kettner tubemeister 36 watt combo) but wonder if I am not hearing the profile sounds as intended (the way I am hearing them through the amp) or whether my onstage sound would be noticeably better with a solid state amp . Any information would be great please :)

Here's an excerpt from the Kemper Manual (emphasis, mine).

MONITOR OUTPUT (2)
    Use this mono output to connect the PROFILER to a stage monitor with its own level controls. This output also has
    its own ground lift.

You can also connect this output to a power amp and a regular guitar cabinet. In this case, you need to switch the
    cabinet simulation off, using the soft button “Monitor Cab Off” in the Output Section, to prevent the unwanted
    coloration that would result from running a speaker emulation through a guitar cabinet.

Bypassing the cabinet module can also be done by simply pressing the CABINET button. However, there are two
    differences compared to enabling “Monitor Cab Off”:

• Bypassing cabinet is an individual setting to each Rig, unless you lock the cabinet module in its “off” state. Monitor
    Cab. Off is a global setting.
    • It will bypass the cabinet module for all outputs, whereas "Monitor Cab Off" will only affect the signal routed to the
    MONITOR OUTPUT (and the built-in power amp of PowerHead and PowerRack).

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides (search for OUTPUT).

ST

• Thanx ST. Yes I use it as specified in the manual (above) & I do put a bit in my in ear monitors (fed from my Kemper stereo outs thru mixer etc.) so I do get the best of both worlds. I have had the Kemper for almost a year now & done heaps of gigs with it already, so very happy. :love::thumbup: