Using a valve amp live for monitoring

• So its not taboo and its what works for you BUT, i think it just adds unnecessary complexity - both in a sound (balancing gain - valves add colour even when clean) and logisitics ( more wires, stuff to lug around).

Many people do this to provide what they feel is "missing".

For me:

1) My focus has changed to FOH because I don't mike up now...so I don;t need to get a great sound on stage to translate through the PA

2) I'll take 95% of my sound and less hassle then add this overhead. I love that my sound is consistent ( SS power is more linear than valves-which is part of their charm but farting around finding the sweet spot for me is now just irritating) and reliable, adding valves sort of defeats the point and the KPA becomes more of an expensive FX unit. I like the one stop shop in a box, hence I also don;t use any external pedals.

But that's just me....

• Yeah great points. I have all of my sound direct to PA from my Kemper outs (so audience hear my Kemper tones... & in stereo) & only use the amp for monitoring as the guys in the band are old school & play pretty loud.

My amp is small & I can get nice feedback from it, but do not have to have it very loud-think I am running on 18 watts max. As a plus I put some Kemper direct into my ears as well. A bit of old school & modern I guess-works well for me. :) Thanx for all your suggestions & input guys. Really appreciate this forum :thumbup:

• I like the cab on,,, it somehow works for me,, I really dont give a crap about anything other then if it sounds great,,

and it DOES,!!!!!

I tried your suggestion to not engage the cab off in output to monitor section & I must say that I really enjoyed the sound. There was a slight/subtle tone change, but for the better & also closer to what I was hearing in my In ears (I usually only wear one earpiece). Thanx for the suggestion. 8):thumbup:

• I tried your suggestion to not engage the cab off in output to monitor section & I must say that I really enjoyed the sound. There was a slight/subtle tone change, but for the better & also closer to what I was hearing in my In ears (I usually only wear one earpiece). Thanx for the suggestion. 8):thumbup:

yes,being a studio owner,session guy, and live giger for over 40 years, I have had a long time to mess with it,,, I have been doing it since day one,, and adj my profiles to taste,, I went thru a ton of cabs till I was happy,,after 7 years of live gigs, every sound man, every one, comes up, and says how good my tone is and how nice to be able to turn up the guitar player,,

• yes,being a studio owner,session guy, and live giger for over 40 years, I have had a long time to mess with it,,, I have been doing it since day one,, and adj my profiles to taste,, I went thru a ton of cabs till I was happy,,after 7 years of live gigs, every sound man, every one, comes up, and says how good my tone is and how nice to be able to turn up the guitar player,,

I am very much the same as your working situation and I also teach guitar. I have/am still doing what you do as well. A great lifestyle eh? ? . We onstage mix ourselves for most gigs but I do get told by fellow musicians to turn the guitar up quite often. I’m going to look into the profiles to taste option. Do you only adjust the cab settings per profile, or any parameter that works? Cheers

• I am NOT a tweaker,,,,,,I have 3 profiles I use,for guitars, 2 for bass,,,that's it,same cab on both,( on the gt),,I look around,,and try diff ones,,I LOVE tone junkies stuff,,Mike britt,,etc,, but Im very happy, with my setup,,works for me, between the Kemper, and my Matchless,and three pedals.., i have never looked back and spend my time making music, not chasing tone ,,and gear,,