Variac - Is it even possible?

• Hi,

recently came across Rick Beato's video about EVH's use of the Variac. So I wondered if it is even possible to simulate the behavior of the "variable transformer"...

Any thoughts?

Greetings,

Jens

KPA PowerRack, KPA Stage, Mission EP1-KP, Sennheiser XSW-D Pedalboard, Palmer Macht 402, Palmer Cab Merger, 2x Ritter Amps FRFR Camper Plus, Solar Guitars E1.7 FBB, Ibanez JEM70V-SFG + some more guitars ;)

• Profile a tube amp that is being run through a variac. Just like profiling a Jose modded Marshall, you just have to have the components to connect and profile.

You gotta have the right guns when you enter the town of tone. And please, shoot ALL fanboys you come across!

• The sag control is kind of like this. But imo it could have more range. A "volts"/"wattage"/"dynamic range" control would be interesting...

No body in an audience or listening to a track would ever tell the difference. Your performance,song quality and technique would matter 100X more.

• It isn't about that...it's about changing how it feels and responds

I understand about feel and know what you are saying. The way Kempers are, if I have a problem I just surf profiles to get my way. I don't permit compromises in my live rig and if there becomes any I will get something else. (This has been going on for YEARS lol) Same with a Kemper, If it won't produce I'll sell it and move on. Sound wise I have a feeling that won't happen, but I feel the unit has some durability issues for road survive ability even well cared for in cases. (knobs, Ethernet connections)