Variac - Is it even possible?

• Hi,

recently came across Rick Beato's video about EVH's use of the Variac. So I wondered if it is even possible to simulate the behavior of the "variable transformer"...

Any thoughts?

Greetings,

Jens

KPA PowerRack, KPA Stage, Mission EP1-KP, Palmer Macht 402, Palmer Cab Merger, 2x Ritter Amps FRFR Camper Plus, Ibanez JEM70V-SFG + some more guitars ;)

• Profile a tube amp that is being run through a variac. Just like profiling a Jose modded Marshall, you just have to have the components to connect and profile.

You gotta have the right guns when you enter the town of tone.

• The sag control is kind of like this. But imo it could have more range. A "volts"/"wattage"/"dynamic range" control would be interesting...

No body in an audience or listening to a track would ever tell the difference. Your performance,song quality and technique would matter 100X more.

• It isn't about that...it's about changing how it feels and responds

I understand about feel and know what you are saying. The way Kempers are, if I have a problem I just surf profiles to get my way. I don't permit compromises in my live rig and if there becomes any I will get something else. (This has been going on for YEARS lol) Same with a Kemper, If it won't produce I'll sell it and move on. Sound wise I have a feeling that won't happen, but I feel the unit has some durability issues for road survive ability even well cared for in cases. (knobs, Ethernet connections)