Exp Pedal midi

• Hi, I'm trying to use a Roland GR-55 to send midi PC and CC to the Kemper.
    PC with the pedals 1 to 3 works well.

I set the GR55 to send #7 CC with the exp pedal.
    On the Kemper I go to System page 4 and set pedal 2 to Expression.
    Now when I use the exp pedal, the green LEDs on the value knob show that it's working (and I hear that the volume changes).

Everything is fine. But when I exit to the normal playing screen and use the pedal, the green LEDs on the volume knob do not change when using the pedal (although soundwise it is working).

Shouldn't the LEDs follow my pedal moves??

• Same over here with a dedicated expression pedal connected to one of the exp-inputs of the Kemper. I guess it's the normal behaviour.

• The leds show the presets volume. To be able to balance out the volume of presets it must still be possible to set a basic volume even when using an expression pedal. To me it seems alright the way it works as you described.

• rsmusic

I tried to use a GR33 as a Midiboard for the KPA but had absolutely no success. As the GR55 is the successor - can you give some hints how to send the midi commands and how to use the expression pedal?

Thanks and kind regards.

• I'm still in the learning process. But as far as sending PC from the three pedals and sending CC from the control and expression pedals was quite easy.
    I'm not at home now, I can write you later the details.

But first you have to set up the kemper to listen to midi.
    Select a rig and go to System page 2 or 3 and assign a number to the rig. And on page 4 set pedal 2 to expression or what you want.
    On the GR55 you have to change the midi channel to the ones the kemper listens to (I think 1 and 7 for the expression pedal Wah or Volume). (Somewhere in the system tab)

Maybe this helps. Otherwise I'll be back home in a few hours.

• Here's a walktrough of what I did to use the GR-55 to control the kemper via midi:

On the GR55 (once):
    Edit -> System (tab) -> MIDI/USB -> GTR-MIDI (tab) ->
    - SWITCH ON
    - CTL PDL CC 24
    - EXP PDL CC 1
    - GK VOL CC 7

On the GR55 (for every Patch):

Edit -> Master (tab) -> Pedal/GK CTL -> CTL (tab) -> CTL Function LED TOGGLE

On the Kemper (for every rig):
    System -> Page 4:
    - Pedal 1 Expression (Wah)
    - Pedal 2 Expression (Volume)
    System -> Page 5: assign a PC number for this rig

Unfortunately you can't send a MIDI command with the EXP Switch of the GR55.
    That's why I use the CTL pedal to send CC 24. This turns on the MOD in the kemper (in which I loaded a wah) and I can use the wah with the EXP pedal.

And unfortunately, these CC assigns in the GR55 are systemwide, so I can't use the EXP pedal on one patch as volume and on another as wah.
    That's why I set the GK VOL CC to 7, so I can control the volume with the GK knob on my guitar.

I hope this is of some help for someone.

• By the way, I run my guitar into the GK IN of the GR55, then out the (modified (thanks a million to musicman65!)) Guitar Out and into the Input of the kemper.

This way, I play only the Kemper and can control it via midi from the GR55.

Then with another cable I connect the GR55 OUTPUT to the Kemper Return Input.
    When I want to use a synth sound from the GR55, I choose a rig on the kemper where I loaded the Loop in the X-slot and set the Mix to 100%. This way I play only the GR55.
    (You can blend the Kemper and the GR55 by setting the Mix lower)

Cheers

(see: http://www.vguitarforums.com/s…ic=5456.msg39601#msg39601
    for the modified Guitar Out)

Edited once, last by rsmusic ().

• Shouldn't the LEDs follow my pedal moves??

No, because the exp pedal is a separate volume, not one of the volume controls on the front panel. Is like an extra FX that can be assigned pre/post-stomps or pre/post-FX

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• No, because the exp pedal is a separate volume, not one of the volume controls on the front panel. Is like an extra FX that can be assigned pre/post-stomps or pre/post-FX

I don' think so. My pedal is not a separate volume, but it is a controller that controls the volume on the front panel via midi.

When I use the pedal for switching an fx on and off, then it does affect the LED of the effect.

• The volume pedal is assignable pre stomps, post stomps, pre FX or post FX, the front volume is the channel one, the master is...well, the master.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• You' re right.
    I stand corrected.

I thought it would be different controlling the volume via midi by connecting to the midi in, than to actually connect a pedal to the pedal input. But it's not.
    Thanks.

• Thanks for the great tips RSMUSIC,

As a side note you don't need to assign the controller switches in the system page for every rig on the Kemper or on any rig for that matter actually.

The Kemper recognises the midi cc #1 and #7 without being told anything else, freeing up the external switch sockets on the back to be used (for other things such as tuner or to turn on and off effects as I use it with an additional pedal).

If you set up the Wah in effects slot A and lock it in place (setting it to turn off when you don't use the pedal in the 2nd settings page of the wah page) you can use it on every patch with no additional setting up, also freeing up the use of the control pedal of the GR-55 (which was previously set to turn the wah on and off) to be used for tap tempo as i have it set.

just a few ideas.

hope this is off use to someone

Guitar + Kemper = Heaven