Drop Strap - Adjust the strap length while playing

• I've ordered 3 and just installed the first one. It's amazing! :D

"How nobody thought about it before" is an understatement..

https://dropstrap.com/

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Hi, Zenmaster.

Thanks for telling us about Drop.

I wear my guitars high. Sometimes, I adjust my strap to the shortest possible length. From the pictures on the Drop site, it looks like Drop adds a least a two to four inches to the length of the strap (the diameter of the device). Do you think I'll have to shorten my guitar straps to use Drop?

ST

• It's really comfortable and works as intended. The mechanism and this cable seems robust.
    It's so cool how easily I can switch between playing chords and riffs to playing solos in the higher frets (shorten it in a sec) without the usual discomfort or need to hold it in the air or lean on my leg or something...

So functionality-wise I'd give it a 10 :D

The cons I found are:

- The looks.. It's kinda bulky.. If they could make this main part flatter/smaller it would be much better.

- For strap locks (as in my guitar, see below), you need to move the strap lock from the strap to the drop for the part that connects to the guitar body, and it makes where the drops cable connect to the strap not secure enough..

I secured it with this rubber thingy I had (great solution, it fixes the problem), so it would be great if they could include something like that in the drop's package.

I mostly care about practicality and comfortability and less about the looks so it's a winner for me ;)

Yes, it adds about 5.5 inches. I've shorten mine (EBMM strap) for the shortest needed when the drop is at minimum (no cable shown) but I wasn't at the shortest length before the drop, so it worked for me.

If you're already at the shortest possible length then yes, you'll have to shorten the straps to use it.

• I wear my guitars high. Sometimes, I adjust my strap to the shortest possible length. From the pictures on the Drop site, it looks like Drop adds a least a couple of inches to the length of the strap (the diameter of the device). Do you think I'll have to shorten my guitar straps to use Drop?

I have exactly the same issue and therefore question, brother. :/

Yes, it adds about 5.5 inches. I've shorten mine (EBMM strap) for the shortest needed when the drop is at minimum (no cable shown) but I wasn't at the shortest length before the drop, so it worked for me.

If you're already at the shortest possible length then yes, you'll have to shorten the straps to use it.

Thanks man.

My straps all need to be a few inches shorter already and they're at "factory" min-length. So, if I modify them and take the Drop into account, they're gonna need 7 or 8 inches taken off. Not something I'd take lightly 'cause I love my Colonial Leather™ straps.

Hmm...

• I'm really liking this, hopefully it will show up at a euro retailer soon. I have strap locks on all guitars but I would only use this at home where I quite often move between sitting and standing and adjusting the strap is so boring that I just don't do it.

Standing up I want it low because. that looks cool.

• No problem. Ye, I see your problem with this..

I'm really liking this, hopefully it will show up at a euro retailer soon. I have strap locks on all guitars but I would only use this at home where I quite often move between sitting and standing an adjusting the strap is so boring that I just don't do it.

Standing up I want it low because. that looks cool.

Exactly! Sitting/standing up is so different..

I've just played with it for an hour standing up and I've played in a much lower position than I used to.. because I finally could :D I had just one length which was pretty high and that's what I knew.. It's so much easier on the wrist for low frets chords/riffing.. I didn't know that!

and ye looks cool :D

Switching from low to high position again was so smooth and easy.. Real fun.

They ship worldwide from what I see on their site (Looks like shipping to Europe is extra $9.95)

Can't wait to put it on my heavy Gibson Les Paul and see the effect...

• Hi, Zenmaster,

Thanks for the detailed reply and information.

Most of the time, I play, rehearse, and practice standing up. I'd only use the Drop when doing configuration things with the Kemper Stage and a laptop on a table. I have the Profiler Head and a computer set up on a standing desk so I can do everything there without sitting.

I have some nice straps from Thalia that I like too much to cut.

Anyway - it was fun to consider.

Thank you for the mental exercise.

ST

• I have 2 dropstraps for about 3 weeks now.

Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

• works with the strap I already have and love
    • nice leather end
    • winding generally works smoothly, but ...

Cons:

• Cover can be pressed down unevenly and cause the wire release to be a bit rough
    • Cover fell off once, but I could just push it back on
    • Too thick to leave on the guitar and close the guitar case - I like to leave my strap on in order to not wear out the strap endings (hole) - I actually put the strap on once by screwing it in with the strap button

The last point is the only sort-of deal breaker for me right now.

Just came across the Levy’s Right Height straps, which I might try - it’s also adjustable on-the-fly - although not as slick or easy:

https://www.levysleathers.com/…dded-black-2-5-mrhgs-blk/