Confused by high and low pass functions. please help!

• Hello. I have bought a powered Kemper rack which I'm running into 2 x 12" Celestion F12 x200 speakers in a wooden cab. I am utilising the high and low pass filters in the output stage of the Kemper. But I'm finding that, with them alone, I am still getting lots of unwanted frequencies. In response to this I've taken to putting a EQ in the x slot and I'm using the high and lows filters on this as well (whilst also having the high and low pass filters on in the output stage). What I want to know is two fold -

1, is it a bad idea to do this?

2, how come the EQ, in the X slot, is managing to find and kill frequencies when the output stage high and low pass filters should have already killed them?

I've asked on all the forums and nobody seems to be able to explain it to me.

Any advice would be extremely welcome.

Thanks

Dave

• Low pass is high frequencies. High pass is low frequencies. So dang confusing. Usually, the only other frequency you want to EQ is somewhere in the mids. Boost those signals higher with an EQ, from the 250k, - 1k range, to see if that frequency annoys you more - then you know what frequency it is and you can cut it down.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Hello mate. Thanks for your response. I understand what you've said. What I can't understand is why HPF and LPF, in an EQ in the X slot, can be audibly heard cutting frequencies that are already supposedly being cut by HPF and LPF that I've also set in the output section! Surely HPF/LPF, in the output section, should've already eliminated those frequencies. I assumed that, once I'd set the HPF/LPF in the output, any adjustments that I made outside of those parameters (via EQ in the X slot) would be inaudible (because the output section had already illuminated them). This is not the case and I can't understand why. Instead I'm finding that a LPF in the x slot paired with a HPF in the output is getting the best results. I can't understand why!

• In all the HPF / LPF filters I've seen, they're always a ramp rather than a hard line drawn perpendicular at the cutoff frequency. Because of this, your HPF doesn't kill 100% of the signal from 0 to 80. Rather, it attenuates by x dbs, with x depending on where the frequency hits the ramp.

Picture the right hand portion of the letter V, with the lower point being 0 and the upper being 80. The bottom of the V is off, the top is on. Now imagine 40 being halfway between the two from left to right, and you can see that it doesn't get turned all the way off, it's only turned down partially.

This is a terribly clumsy layman's explanation and I'm sure the knowledgeable guys can offer more clarity, but hopefully this helps you understand why an HPF at 80 doesn't kill 100% of the signal below 80.

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Just so we're all talking about the same thing, this is from the Kemper Manual

Output Filters
    Low Cut and High Cut filters are available. These will affect all outputs.

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides
    Search for Output Filters

I didn't see a reference to low pass and high pass filters. However, there are frequent mentions of low cut filters throughout the Kemper manual.

Here's an interest quote (note - the original was in German and this is translated by the Google Chrome browser)

And this give some insight into how the cut filters behave.

The High Cut frequency indicates the cutoff point of the lowpass filter.

Depending on the filter type, the energy in the frequency band one octave above this cutoff point is attenuated by 6dB, 12dB, or 24dB - to name just the most common types.

Setting the High Cut at a frequency does not mean that everything above this frequency is removed.

From DonPeterson
    Source: EQ Low Pass Filter / High frequencies Cut

• Thats all really helpful thanks guys ?? so... I'm guessing, from what you've said, that the two HPF / LPF that I'm using (ie one in the output stage and another in the x slot) probably have different bell curves? What i don't understand, still, it why on earth the Kemper allows frequencies, which should never be present in guitar tone, to be present? Surely it'd make more sense for it to be set to only create 'guitar-like' frequencies in the first place!?! I'm guessing that this is where somebody is going to tell me that the 'magic' in a guitar amps sound lives in a little bit of those fizzy and / or boomy frequencies being added?

• Surely it'd make more sense for it to be set to only create 'guitar-like' frequencies in the first place!?! I'm guessing that this is where somebody is going to tell me that the 'magic' in a guitar amps sound lives in a little bit of those fizzy and / or boomy frequencies being added?

"Guitar-like" frequencies is a bit ambiguous and thus difficult to define even in the most limited ways. In standard tuning on a six string, from the open low E to highest fretted E note might be considered the complete range of frequencies. However, there are also seven string guitars, dropped tunings, etc. so to those guys, it's a different range of notes.

Then there's all that magic stuff. Even with a standard six string, if you stick a mic in front of a tube amp / speaker cab, then record and analyze the results, you'll find a much wider range of frequencies than just the notes on the guitar. And what you get will vary widely with each change in amp, cabinet, mic, and mic placement. And that's before you start twisting knobs on the amp head. A guitar tone is a complex creature.

What i don't understand, still, it why on earth the Kemper allows frequencies, which should never be present in guitar tone, to be present?

Then there's the physical reality of it all. You plugged a guitar into an amp. If the frequencies are there, then they were generated by your guitar / amp / speaker cab and thus are, by definition, "guitar-like" frequencies. It's not like they were snuck into your speaker cabinet and duct taped to the back of the speaker cone by elves in the night. :)

Obviously a lot of those frequencies don't work for you, hence the desire to eliminate them, rogue elves notwithstanding. And that's absolutely fine. A guitar tone is a very personal thing, so whatever you want to hear is the correct thing for you to hear. That said, if Kemper tried to arbitrarily eliminate frequencies that would normally be generated by a given amp / cab combination based on your recommendations, they would be forcing everyone else to use the same kind of tone as you. I suspect that would cause riots in the streets. Or at least a mass migration to another guitar amp.

Rather than being unhappy with physical reality, I think you'll get the most enjoyment by focusing on how to achieve the tone you're looking for. If it were me, at the point where I found myself having to do heavy tweaking to get my sound, I would instead be moving on to other profiles.

Also, since you're new to the Kemper, I'll mention a mistake I made when I first got mine that almost resulted in my boxing it up and sending it back. For reference, I'm a classic rock guy. So, the first thing I did was browse through all the free profiles on Rig Exchange looking at Marshalls. I was absolutely stunned by how bad they all sounded. And not in a subtle way. Eventually I realized that I was making assumptions. I saw "Marshall" and assumed it would be dialed in like I would dial in a Marshall. However, that same head can play Earth, Wind and Fire, Bonnie Raitt, Bad Company, or New Age Post Apocalyptic Lunar Metal. Same amp, huge difference in tones. What a metal guy thinks is awesome would get me kicked out of a Bad Company tribute band, and my settings would get me laughed off of a metal stage.

Remember, a profile is not, "Here's a Marshall JCM 800, do as you will to it." It's a single moment in time after someone selected a speaker cab, dialed in a tone, chose a microphone, placed it to taste and did the profile. If they dialed in the tone for Earth, Wind and Fire, you ain't gonna get good metal no matter how many pedals and EQ settings you throw at it.

A profile is a snapshot, not an amplifier.

So, if you're finding frequencies that don't work for you, instead of trying to polish a turd (sorry, I'm from the deep south in the US), move on to other profiles and find the source material that's closest to what you want. I actually have a wide selection of profiles that absolutely nail my tone with zero tweaking. It's all about finding profiles from people who are into the same genre as you, and do it well.

I hope this helps you get a feel for the wheel. The Kemper will definitely get you where you want to go, you just have to know how to drive it.

Edited 2 times, last by Chris Duncan ().

• Thanks for the response bud I appreciate the advice. I would, however, question something that you've said. Any guitar amp has to go through a speaker and every speaker has sonic boundaries. Full range speakers obviously have a wider set of frequency parameters but surely normal guitar amp speakers don't go as low or high frequency as the Kemper is capable of going!?! Therefore why not include a 'pre set' that limits the EQ and only goes as low frequency and the lowest guitar speaker and as high as the highest frequency guitar speaker? Surely that'd be common sense? Why on earth would I need the option to produce a guitar tone / frequency that no guitar speaker on earth ever could or would create? Thats a legitimate question surely?

• To be sure, we're getting into areas where I don't really know what I'm talking about (and believe me, you don't have to travel very far to hit that border).

That said, because I didn't know, I just looked up the frequency response of a Celestion Greenback. The chart linked below goes down to 20 hz and as high as 20k. So, the speakers can reproduce quite a bit, certainly in excess of your preferred 80 / 5k filters.

https://celestion.com/product/16/g12m_greenback/

At a certain point you go beyond the boundaries of human hearing, but I think perception is still colored by those ranges because air is still being moved whether the ears interpret it or not. In the lower ranges it can translate to things like the thump in the gut that you feel when chugging, etc.

I honestly don't understand the field of acoustics enough to speak intelligently on the matter. Then again, I don't understand girls, either, so I've learned to live with my limitations. :)