Guitar pick consultation

• Hey,

as a looong time Jazz III (carbon) user and preacher, I never thought this would happen. But I need another (larger) pick!

Over time I have become accustomed to use my fingers more and more, hiding/holding the pick between my index and middle finger, then bringing the pick back into normal position quickly. Because the size of the Jazz III is not ideal for this, lately my hand starts to cramp and I feel not comfortable anymore with this small pick.

So I tried some "standard" size Tortex and nylon picks laying around in different sizes and I hated the feel and sound (Edit: Actually now I like the Tortex 0,88 and 1,0). Then I found an old Gravity standard 2.0 mm acryl pick - and surprisingly liked it much more than I rememberd it!

So maybe I am ready and it's time trying (again) bigger and thicker picks?

I will order a selection of "obvious" choices like Jazz III XL. But also want to give some reasonable prized alternatives a change again.

It seems V-Picks are not (easy) available in Germany anymore?! What else is recommended? Are there any new or unknown companies out there in 2020?

I am also very interested, what picks breu is using today. Still V-Picks?

Has anyone tried the Ibanez JTC Picks?
    https://www.ibanez.com/usa/news/detail/20181217111400.html

How are the thicker Dunlop Flow picks?

Ideally the picks should be pretty durable too ^^

Edited 3 times, last by Ibot39 ().

• I think the better choice for you is to use Jazz III XL Ultex to have more durability and comfort. You can find them in a 24 picks pack for a fair price.

I also tried this black ice picks https://www.daddario.com/produ…10-pack-extra-heavy-5962/ but they are small like the Jazz III.

I've used for years Dunlop Gator Grip picks, good sound e very good grip. They are a little bit smaller than Dunlop Tortex https://www.jimdunlop.com/gator-grip-pick-1-5mm/

• I played exactly these many, many years ago ...now still have (more than) a few in my "spare box" ^^

Back then, they were perfect: Because they were BLACK 8) Black guitar, black picks, Black Metal!

But then I discovered a few other picks that all did a better job for me and the Jazz III carbon was the winner. Nearly black, perfect sound and grip, cheap and very durable.

Oddly enough, it was much more difficult to get used to the small size (but then I loved it). Now I am surprised, using bigger picks is very easy! I can change between size with no problem now. Atm I feel my hand more relaxed with bigger and thicker pick. And I don't care for the colour that much anymore;)

• I switched to Dawman picks back when there was a looong thread on the topic. Best picks in my experience! I’d never have thought I’d go for 3mm picks, but they’re wonderful, my favourites being the 2020 pointed shredline standard with polished finish.

• :) I have a stash of picks i test profiles with as they all make the rigs respond and sound different. One I really like for really thick and durable is a bone pick my wife ordered from Amazon. Dont have link unfortunately.

• I switched to Dawman picks back when there was a looong thread on the topic. Best picks in my experience! I’d never have thought I’d go for 3mm picks, but they’re wonderful, my favourites being the 2020 pointed shredline standard with polished finish.

I did read through the whole thread again. But for example V-Picks seem not easy available in Europe anymore.

Are Dawman still active? It seems they have only a small selection in the online shop. I can not find any non pointed shredline picks?!

• I don't fingerpick like you mentioned, so am not moving the pick to different fingers like you are, but I always had trouble with dropping the pick, or having it at the wrong angle all the time. Playing mostly metal. I moved onto triangle shaped picks, they're huge, ha! Pretty tough to drop or get the wrong angle. Plus there's 3 picking edges in case you wear one out.....

https://www.musiciansfriend.co…layton%20duraplex&index=2

• How about Chicken Picks? They have a lot of different sizes, shapes and thickness, and I can confirm the sound and feel of the different picks is significant.

Curious,i switch a few days ago from a Jazz III to a Chicken Pick Regular

https://www.thomann.de/de/chic…cks_regular_26mm_pick.htm

This pick produced a little "higher" tones but the attack is awesome.So i change my settings a little bit and love it now.

• Lobsta Your post really makes me think! There could be something to it and maybe the teardrop design of the Jazz is part of my problem - not only size. It seems much easier to bring back the pick fast and in correct angle (after using fingers) with picks that are wider at the top!

Now I already have ordered a few Jazz III XL varieties, before thinking about this. I'll see, but at least for playing the blues I might move to another shape.

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• ReinoutV

notorst

Thanks! I'll order Chicken Picks too.

What did you mean with higher tones? Brighter or just louder?

I like bright. I already tried Dunlop Adamas picks (Grateful Dead!) and they do what advertising promise: Bright but smooth attack. But what ad is not saying: The material (with graphite) causes static noises when the pick touches the strings. I don't want to go into that further, but this really was a deal breaker. It seems a known thing with the Adamas, but I had to learn myself before reading it in the www

• Are Dawman still active? It seems they have only a small selection in the online shop. I can not find any non pointed shredline picks?!

They generally only take custom orders, though every now and again they have "stock" picks that are available in the web shop. Email them, they'd be happy to help you, I'm sure :)