Guitar pick consultation

• yes, I’m still using V-picks but only for acoustic guitars. For acoustic I also use very thin John Pearce pick (red). It gives you a very nice thin sparkly strum.
    For electric guitar I’m using a custom made Daw man pick. It’s 3 mm and just a bit larger than jazz III. Very good!!! Good grip and a tremendous sound!!

• Today the Gravity, Ibanez JTC and ChickenPicks arrived. The Jazz III XL will come tommorrow I think. Now I will compare to some common picks and a few cheapos.

Too early to make a judgement. But first impressions:

- The small Jazz III carbon (I want to get "away from") really sound f***ing great! Bright, cutting tone! Let's see how the Stiffo (nylon) XL will compare. The Ultex Jazz XL colour looks really like "old footnails", but if the others suck, I will try too ;) Why is there no carbon Jazz III XL?!

- ChickenPicks are really big, but (in contrast to the Gravity Classic Standard) it is not so much benefit with my technique sticking the pick between my fingers (while fingerpicking). Also the bevels need some adjusting of my playing. I have to play more with it

- I still don't like the pointed Pickboy shape (Carbon Nylon)

- The Gravity picks are really high quality. The packaging says handmade. These workers must be the most accurate human beings on the planet :thumbup: The Gravity 003 XL (Jazz III XL eqivalent) is nothing special (first impression!). I like the Classic Big Mini 2 mm better. But the bigger size Classic Standard works best for me atm - I like them more and more.

- A big surprise are the Ibanez JTC (clear pick in the 4th row in the picture)!! They are smaller than I expected. Only a tiny bit bigger in size than the Jazz III, but 2,5 mm in thickness.

The feel is very nice and I can move it in my hands better than thinner Jazz III or 003 XL. The combination of thickness and the bevel is perfect on this Ibanez pick too, very precise and fast picking possible, without getting stuck (like with the Pickboys). And it sounds loud, bright and epic ^^

Ibanez JTC - already my value for money winner!

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• I have to say the ChickenPicks start to grow on me! I am using the Light 2.2. They felt really weird, big and thick at the beginning and I put them aside. But with more time playing the weird feel did go away and I noticed some benefits.

Suddenly I could play runs so fast and easily, that I was wondering (and being amazed of myself :saint:) - how did I become so good overnight :D Changed back to other picks and everything slowed down. Back to the ChickenPicks and I could play freakin fast and accurate - what the hell?! And it's a different "precise" like with the more pointed Ibanez JTC. Precise with more flow - hard to describe.

So I really have to say to anyone who is trying out the ChickenPicks: Give them some time, play them in and give them a chance. As said, it starts to grow on me!!

Thanks to ReinoutV  IngoRockt and notorst for the recommendation. Let's see were the search ends...

• THAT ONE!..that's My Pick!..since almost 20 years now.

I've tried many like the 1.14 Carbon Nylon (ganja leaf ) above, and I still have some others like the Dunlop 1.0 that I rarely use only for acoustic strumming parts recording.

But the Dunlop Tortex 1.14 has always been my first choice. so muck that I've stoped looking for a shop that usually have in store and I've set an order to Dunlop to make them for me!

That's Incredible! I (Mr. Sir Nobody ) Have a Custom signature Pick! Faboulous!

(well in the end You just have to pay and set an order of..I guess minimum 800 pcs..and wait a bit for shipping.)

• yes one is my ''official'' signature (that one came form the police report when I've lost my driving licence) an the other one it's my nickname.

anyway

I ve found the e mail of that Custom Order. it was 2014

You can choose many option, different prices..

To be honest, more than the signature aspect , it's cool to have finally defined a constant in my gear. (the other one is Ernie Ball 10.46 as strings)

I still have some different option but it's just for particoular situation.

It's good to really have a STANDARD and than just a few different options.

• I bought about 80 different picks a couple of years ago after having played purple tortex sharps for the past 20 odd years. Started using Jazz III's but found them not great for chords.

Ended up with the Jazz III XL Ultex, can't stand any other pick now

• V-Picks 4.1mm Dimension Jr or Diamond for 10 years now.

I've tried several DawMan , Flow jumbo , Dragon heart .... didn't like any of them. Its no only the thickness. There is something about the V-Picks material that makes it great. Also when it starts to loose shape you file them and polish them and VOILA! new , slightly smaller, pick! :)

Its a shame Thomann doesnt carry them anymore and whoever the distributor in Europe was went bust. Thomann refused to be their distributor I was told recently.

Over the years I thought I had found " the pick" and you end up buying a bunch. So if anyone is using any of these , let me know.

Jazz III ( black ), Stubbys ( 1, 2 and 3mm) Dunlop 205

And just a few Dawmans, Hell picks , Davas and Jumbos to try if you havent.

Peace

• Great that you've found your new pick! Or that you've picked your pick, but maybe that's just too much... Which model did you choose in the end?

• Great that you've found your new pick! Or that you've picked your pick, but maybe that's just too much... Which model did you choose in the end?

ReinoutV

Judgement has not yet been made ;)

I still have to test Dunlop Flow Variety Pack, Dunlop Prime Grip Delrin 500 2.0, Jazz III XL Stiffo vs Ultex, Dunlop Gels X-Heavy

But the ChickenPick Light is very good! But coming from Max Grip picks and experiencing the grip of acrylic picks the ChickenPicks can't keep up. Until I did some rework today with sandpaper (in the upper area) and Dremel.

Enough grip now 8)

• As a total outside bet, but while you’re experimenting, I use wegen picks M200 mandolin picks. They’re big but the bevel is great and as I play with the ‘wrong’ end of the pick, they really suit me.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• As a total outside bet, but while you’re experimenting, I use wegen picks M200 mandolin picks. They’re big but the bevel is great and as I play with the ‘wrong’ end of the pick, they really suit me.

What do you mean, with the wrong end? On pictures all three sides of the pick seem the same?

• What do you mean, with the wrong end? On pictures all three sides of the pick seem the same?

I mean that I used to use a traditional pick with the non pointy end. This one has all non pointy ends making my life more simple :)

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10