Guitar pick consultation

• this is one detail about the old D'Andrea picks I like so much - there is no seam/center line, it's super smooth.

The reissues do have a tiny seam, however.

I am super sensitive about details - and there seems to be quality differences too - but on my Delrin picks the seam is no ridge or something and not noticeable at all. I have never played a smoother pick (that still gives full control) yet. But I haven't had the D'Andrea pick in my fingers ?

I can imagine, that the D'Andrea picks are rounder, warmer sounding. The Delrin 500 1,5 has surprisingly forward dashing mids and can sound bright too - depending on the angle. The Ibanez JTC on the other hand sounds way more consistent / almost the same when changing the angle. I like both for different things.

After slightly improving the bevels / edges of my Titanium picks I am right now reworking the stone pick. First test showed, that the agate can be polished to be INCREDIBLE smooth. A test with a different bevel got me way more control too, so I will rework the whole pick step by step. Titanium was not too hard to sand and polish, but that stone is really something else ^^ Needs a lot of effort, patience and accuracy. But I believe stone picks can be much better than they were offered. And this thing will probably last a few years - or centuries.

After trying also higher price stuff like Gravity, Chicken Picks, Timber Tones, it feels a little strange that my favourite (Delrin 500 1,5) only costs 0,31 € ?

• While I do prefer the feel of some other picks, I'm superstitious and get anxiety whenever I use something else than small red Jazz III. Even the black ones give me the feeling that something isn't quite right. :wacko:

• While I do prefer the feel of some other picks, I'm superstitious and get anxiety whenever I use something else than small red Jazz III. Even the black ones give me the feeling that something isn't quite right. :wacko:

That's how it was for me with the Jazz III carbon max grip many years. Still my reference in tone.

In my test there were some picks that really sounded good, but the feel or comfort just was poor (for me). For example the cheap green D'Addario Nylpro Plus has a very bright and clear tone, that is not bad at all. But the grip / logo on these make it the most uncomfortable pick of all that I tested.

So I tried sanding it down, but it stays uncomfortable until there is no grip at all and the material is too slippy again ^^ Max Grip from Dunlop is way better for me.

I think Dunlop changed some materials over the years. For example the Nylon picks today look and feel different (more shiny, cheaper looking). I also heard, that the black Stiffo is not the same anymore.

• I use to favour the Dunlop Jazz III but have changed to the Dunlop Eric Johnson pick. It’s not as glossy, slightly thinner, slightly bigger and better edges on it. Plus the raised lettering seems better for grip.

• I use to favour the Dunlop Jazz III but have changed to the Dunlop Eric Johnson pick. It’s not as glossy, slightly thinner, slightly bigger and better edges on it. Plus the raised lettering seems better for grip.

The red max grip Jazz III picks have a more matt surface and slightly better edges too. The carbon max grip Jazz III looks and feels really noble and not as "cheap" like the standard Jazz III.

Is the thinner EJ pick even more flexible / less stiff than the standard Jazz? What's the difference in tone? Slightly brighter I guess?

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• I've gone down this rabbit hole several times over the years. I do not mean to cast any shade on a person's preference. This is not everyone's reasoning. Just mine.

I got tired of trying different picks. I stopped when I admitted that I was trying to compensate for a lack of skill and wasting time with a search for the 'right' pick. Sometimes you just take what you have and make it work. The apparent lack of freedom turned out to be the exact opposite.

Two very similar designs. I don't care which and will choose based on which ones I come across first when looking.
    Fender 351, Heavy

Dunlop Delrin 500 .95mm

Tonally, I hear no difference and can only tell which one I grabbed by the feeling of the label imprint. As long as they aren't worn to visible deformity, they work.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I tried out different picks in the past. Then used the same pick exclusicely for years.

This time it's different. I already learnt so much about picks, materials, techniques and maintain health. It's an eye-opener similar to the time I realized how to defeat tendonitus or creative crises: Bringing in some variety!

I use different mouse / keyboard at home and work. And mouse on the left side (buttons not reversed) at work, on the right side at home. Sometimes I even move the mouse with the right hand on the left side .... problems gone.

Creative crises: I am inspired to play different things when grabbing a Tele, LP, Danelectro, different tuning...

Same with picks. Grab a thin 0,46 nylon pick and start playing. Instantly funky tunes are coming from somewhere. Play a single line with a fat, smooth rounded pick - holy sh*t, didn't know I had those jazzy stuff in my repertoire...

Some picks make technical stuff so much easier to play, changing to some blues maybe I want to "fight" more with the strings.

Also my fingers don't cramp anymore, when playing with some thicker picks from time to time. I guess I also can transfer some experiences and techniques from one pick to the other.

And differences are huuuuge! Huge!

I don't know if I can recommend it, but I started listening to pick(ing) "noises" in recordings. But be warned guys, once you start listening, it is hard to overhear it ^^

This can be quite annoying, if you are aware of it. For example sometimes I am listening to some Gregor Hilden (his videos on utube) in the background when working on somthing else. And my brain tells me: Ah, now he has changed to the ChickenPicks pick again! And I can clearly hear the raspier and more "resonant" tone of that pick - until I can blend it out with distraction ^^

• The red max grip Jazz III picks have a more matt surface and slightly better edges too. The carbon max grip Jazz III looks and feels really noble and not as "cheap" like the standard Jazz III.

Is the thinner EJ pick even more flexible / less stiff than the standard Jazz? What's the difference in tone? Slightly brighter I guess?

The EC jazz pick is slightly more flexible and does not sound as bright. IMO

Another pick I sometimes use with my acoustic is the Dunlop Flow .88. Funny enough I cut it down to the size of a jazz pick, ha ha. But I like how it feels and sounds with my acoustic

• Does anyone here have an opinion about wooden picks?

I don't normally use a pick, but I got a tin of these as a gift for a friend.

https://www.thaliacapos.com/co…osewood-pick-tin-jazz-3xl

I tried them out a couple of times before wrapping the tin. I don't have enough experience using a pick to have developed a preference. My friend doesn't use a pick either, but she liked the aesthetic quality. These were fine as a novelty gift for a small occasion.

• I do, we have several artisans in Finland making wooden picks. Some of them are really great for my style, some are not and it all depends on wood species, thickness, size, shape et cetera . In general, wooden picks tends to wear out in different way or even break when playing heavier stuff but I've also couple of excellent, really durable wooden picks in my collection.

I've also two (non-wooden) pick favorites I would like to add into the soup: Erniel Ball Prodigy and Ibanez Grip Wizard series. There are different shapes of Prodigy available, I prefer 1.5mm standard ones. For Ibanez, 0.8mm short teardrop shaped sandwizards are a way to go. Those two are my current workhorses and just feels right to me. If somebody else has tried those two and have similar but better options, please let me know.

https://www.ernieball.com/guit…uitar-picks/prodigy-picks

https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/detail/pa16xsg_01.html

Merry Christmas everybody!

-Jari

• I've tried many options, but always keep coming back to Dunlop Ultex "normal" shape. From .73 sharp point through to 2mm regular point depending on the song. No other material has the same snap and glassy feel to me.

• Cool display!

What are the last ones in row 3 ? The smaller one looks promising.

And the other box? Gravity? Wouldn't mind trying a 4mm Gravity? How are they?

This is a Timber Tones Mini Titanium. Very good, comfortable and fast pick. I like the Mini better - the bigger Titanium has to much mass for my liking (even so the titanium is very light weighing for a metal pick). I did sliiightly polish the edges to make it smoother righ from the start. I did not want to wait 10 years until the pick has a played in feel ^^

Gravity picks are excellent sounding picks. I started with 2 mm, continued with 3 mm Sunrise Big Mini, but now I am back to 1,5 mm 003 XL and other thinner picks to get some brightness and attack back. The feel of the arylic is very nice, but as said, I wear them down to quick (for the price).

• This is the completely "reworked" Stone Age Agate pick. The photos just with my phone with bad light, sorry.

Now a very precise pick with nice balanced tone. No more scratchy sound, but smooth gliding through strings with full control, because of the new, muuuch thinner and polished bevel and tip design. The grip surface is sanded rough - just feels better between the fingers.

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• This is the completely "reworked" Stone Age Agate pick. The photos just with my phone with bad light, sorry.

Now a very precise pick with nice balanced tone. No more scratchy sound, but smooth gliding through strings with full control, because of the new, muuuch thinner and polished bevel and tip design. The grip surface is sanded rough - just feels better between the fingers.

please pm me where I can get one of those beauties :o

• DonPetersen This exact pick is my own modification - 2 full days, handcrafted with sandpaper... a bit Dremel, but mostly sandpaper ^^

The original Stone Age guitar picks are available at Etsy.com but mostly sold out. Or here: https://stoneageguitar.com/collections/guitar-picks

I got mine used on Ebay - with no sign of wear at all :)

These stone picks are very thick, like 3,5 mm or more and only the edges are bevelled, so that there is a thick "middle line" between the bevels - also on the tip. It is playable, but for me that was not ideal.

On my rework I created a different bevel. The pick is muuuch flater towards the tip and sides, but taking care that there will be no chiping. The fat middle line is completely gone - only a precise small polished "seam" now. Less scratchy, less chirp, balanced attack and tone. A bit inspired by Chicken Picks Shredder and Ibanez JTC.

• Great job, Tobi. :thumbup:

Just looking at it made me want one too, just like Don.

Not sure I'd trust my skills to work an original into something as good as that 'though. If you "made" more I'd buy 'em just to try, as I reckon Don and others might too. Great stuff!