Guitar pick consultation

• I noticed something strange.

In the past, if I struggled with some (new) technique or got rusty over time (not practising), I tortured myself with discipline and exercises.

I didn't have as much choice of picks as today, but noticed that with some picks some techniques were easier. But I somehow thought this is "cheating" and I have to fight and practise until I can play it with my Jazz III! Explore one pick and get used to it as much as possible, was the goal.

Now I have experienced something interesting. If I choose a pick that makes a technique more easy right from the start, I can then switch pretty quickly to another pick and it works there quite easy too! Much quicker training of several song parts possible that way. I think my brain just internalizes the "easy", flowing movements (without getting stuck) and remembers the easy way regardless which pick is used after that.

I play definitly different and better with a Jazz III shape now after experimenting with other picks.

• I know what you mean. I'm experiencing this both with this new guitar and also pick choice. I've played Strats for decades and I'm just now realizing how hard they make me work. The CU24 is incredibly sensitive to everything I do, to a degree that I've not experienced with a guitar before, and I'm finding that notes just leap out with even the slightest touch. Consequently, my playing is lighter on this guitar and I'm playing with ease lines that had been an effort on the Strats.

It's the same with the picks. While I've been unhappy with the feel and rapid wear time of modern pseudo-celluloid picks, on the Strats I wasn't as aware of the impact they had on tone. True, they have more bite than the Tortex, but that was about it. Now, however, I'm hearing a much wider range of effect that my choice of pick has on tone and articulation because of the sensitivity of the guitar. This in turn influenced a change in picks, and the resulting improvement in tone and feel is changing the way I play.

Is that cheating? I don't care. :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• I know what you mean. I'm experiencing this both with this new guitar and also pick choice. I've played Strats for decades and I'm just now realizing how hard they make me work. The CU24 is incredibly sensitive to everything I do, to a degree that I've not experienced with a guitar before, and I'm finding that notes just leap out with even the slightest touch. Consequently, my playing is lighter on this guitar and I'm playing with ease lines that had been an effort on the Strats.

It's the same with the picks. While I've been unhappy with the feel and rapid wear time of modern pseudo-celluloid picks, on the Strats I wasn't as aware of the impact they had on tone. True, they have more bite than the Tortex, but that was about it. Now, however, I'm hearing a much wider range of effect that my choice of pick has on tone and articulation because of the sensitivity of the guitar. This in turn influenced a change in picks, and the resulting improvement in tone and feel is changing the way I play.

Is that cheating? I don't care. :)

Yeah if it works then all good :)

Just as a slight alternate to this, like action, sometimes you also want a bit of fight, where you have to dig in. I think that's why I landed on 10 gauge strings because 9's just give up too easily...I like to beat them into submission :)

• Yeah if it works then all good :)

Just as a slight alternate to this, like action, sometimes you also want a bit of fight, where you have to dig in. I think that's why I landed on 10 gauge strings because 9's just give up too easily...I like to beat them into submission :)

I think that's why I ran Strats with 10s for so long.

Is Strat Beating a crime? :)

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

• Absolutely not. Part of playing a strat is the struggle I feel. They aren’t the easiest guitars to play IMO. Scale length maybe? My prs and suhrs are easier. But a strat is a strat and nothing else is quite the same.

Is the thinner EJ pick even more flexible / less stiff than the standard Jazz? What's the difference in tone? Slightly brighter I guess?

The EC jazz pick is slightly more flexible and does not sound as bright. IMO

Now that I finally have bought the EJ jazz III picks too, I measured them today. They are all consistently 1,32 mm in thickness. The red and the black stiffo jazz III are between 1,35 and 1,38mm. (The max grip carbon are all over 1,5 mm)

The size is almost the same. The EJ custom picks have a different bevel and are 0,3 - 0,5 mm bigger.

They DO sound brighter than my red jazz III picks (comparing new picks to each other).

The surface on them feels superior and I have better control with this pick. Also I can stick them better between my fingers, when playing "finger style".

• I’m really digging Gravity Strikers. 1.5 and 2.0, acrylic. . I preciously tried and used a ton of V-picks, favorite is the Jalapeño, which I used most of the time for the past year.. That was the least chirpy of the v-picks and a good balance of everything else, and this gravity is even better, best acrylic I’ve played. I found that symmetrical picks just feel right, despite using a standard shaped picked for the prior two decades. Added benefit to symmetrical is you get three times the wear since all three edges and sides are the same, and you never have to spin the pick to get the right edge. The size is just right for me. Not to big hit too small. I can’t bring myself to try the $25 dollar version of this pick, for something that easy to lose.

• I’m really digging Gravity Strikers. 1.5 and 2.0, acrylic. . I preciously tried and used a ton of V-picks, favorite is the Jalapeño, which I used most of the time for the past year.. That was the least chirpy of the v-picks and a good balance of everything else, and this gravity is even better, best acrylic I’ve played. I found that symmetrical picks just feel right, despite using a standard shaped picked for the prior two decades. Added benefit to symmetrical is you get three times the wear since all three edges and sides are the same, and you never have to spin the pick to get the right edge. The size is just right for me. Not to big hit too small. I can’t bring myself to try the $25 dollar version of this pick, for something that easy to lose.

As a long time V-Pick user ( Diamond and Dimension Jr , both 4mm) am interested in this. I havent tried any Gravity picks, but have tried several other "thick" ones and they just dont feel the same. Do these Strikers have the same "feel" as the V-Pick material?

Thanks!

• As a long time V-Pick user ( Diamond and Dimension Jr , both 4mm) am interested in this. I havent tried any Gravity picks, but have tried several other "thick" ones and they just dont feel the same. Do these Strikers have the same "feel" as the V-Pick material?

Thanks!

In my opinion they do! The grip is excellent and seems to be the same material as the V-picks.

The bigger Dimension (not the JR) is on my "try next" list with V-picks as I believe it is the same size and shape as the Snake and Jalapeño, my two favorite v-picks; the (Snake in any situation where the extra chirpiness isn't too much for the song and I want the huge sound it produces ) In any case, my Snake and Jalapeño irrespective of the v-picks listed specs are the same size and shape as this Gravity Striker. I have the STANDARD size of the Striker, which is the second biggest. So my guess is if you are coming from the Dimension Jr, you'll want to get the size just smaller than that which is the Big Mini, not to be confused with the Mini, which is the smallest of the four. All the gravity picks, regardless of shape and thickness come in four dimensions of sizes: mini, big mini, standard, and XL.

I have a non-holed 1.5 and an holed 2.0 Striker which has 7 or so super tiny holes in the middle of the pick. In my opinion the holed 2.0 version isn't any more or less grippier than the 2.0. So next time, I order a 2.0 I'll get the plain non-holed version.

• In my opinion they do! The grip is excellent and seems to be the same material as the V-picks.

The bigger Dimension (not the JR) is on my "try next" list with V-picks as I believe it is the same size and shape as the Snake and Jalapeño, my two favorite v-picks; the (Snake in any situation where the extra chirpiness isn't too much for the song and I want the huge sound it produces ) In any case, my Snake and Jalapeño irrespective of the v-picks listed specs are the same size and shape as this Gravity Striker. I have the STANDARD size of the Striker, which is the second biggest. So my guess is if you are coming from the Dimension Jr, you'll want to get the size just smaller than that which is the Big Mini, not to be confused with the Mini, which is the smallest of the four. All the gravity picks, regardless of shape and thickness come in four dimensions of sizes: mini, big mini, standard, and XL.

I have a non-holed 1.5 and an holed 2.0 Striker which has 7 or so super tiny holes in the middle of the pick. In my opinion the holed 2.0 version isn't any more or less grippier than the 2.0. So next time, I order a 2.0 I'll get the plain non-holed version.

Great! Thanks so much for the info. Must try them, then.

Lets see who ships to the Canary Islands...

• The bigger Dimension (not the JR) is on my "try next" list with V-picks as I believe it is the same size and shape as the Snake and Jalapeño, my two favorite v-picks;

Have you tried the Diamond? I think its similar to the Dimension in size. Hence I ended up favouring the Dimension Jr.

• I'm using the XL Jazz III for soft attack and the Dunlop Ultex for bite and brightness. I might as well play with my fingernails when using the small standard Jazz III's - but it's squealie heaven.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• it's been a while since I had a Dunlop Jazz Stubby - I'll get a few 2mm ones :)

I am looking forward to your experience with them. Because of the missing "corners" they feel ridiculously small to me. Unplayable for me.

Would be cool if they make a bigger version of these, without the "dip" of the Big Stubby.

• Thoughts about the Blue Chip LG60 after 2 days:

Perfect grip - similar to acryl, but feels even more "glued" to the pick. Glides very smooth through the strings, still very precise with full control. You glide over the string, but still feel it. Glides like a Flow pick, offers control like a Jazz pick :S

Tonewise there was no "wow" effect for me. Loud and very balanced - not missing anything. The spectacular thing on the Blue Chip is, that it is not sounding spectacular, just absolutley right, like no other pick. Everything perfectly right. Only the good features from all the picks you like put into one. This is fucking great and I understand why most people will love that pick.

But it also lacks some character. No dashing forward, juvenile bite like a Dunlop Tortex Jazz XL pick (which is great for blues, rock, metal...).

No gnarling warmth of a Tortex Flex, no emphasizing snap of an EJ Jazz III, no crispy clank of the Ultex.

(next but...) But than you realize that the BC pick translates your own "voice" and technique like no other pick. It is neutral enough to act as an extended tool of your brain. It merges with your fingers and feels so natural... it's addicting...

Still... for some high gain palm muting the Tortex just slays, for some shred the Delrin 500 just delivers, digging in with the bright Ultex makes that solo stand more out....

If you just want to use one durable pick that has no (real) disadvantages - the Blue Chip is worth the money I think. If you don't lose it ;)

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().