Wet/Dry/Wet using cab and monitors?

• Has anyone tried a Wet/Dry/Wet setup with a cab (either powered or with the Kemper Powerhead) providing the dry, and active monitors on either side providing the wet left and right in stereo? Does the mix of FRFR and "amp-in-the-room" sound odd in the context of wet/dry/wet? This would be purely for home use...

• I do this pretty regularly! I have the dry signal through the Kabinet in the middle and two active studio monitors on left and right with effects. Sounds massive! Just set the Main Output to "Delay/Reverb wet", connect your monitors to those, and set the the Monitor Output to "Stack". Try it, you won't be disappointed! I even considered bringing small monitors to the stage for using this setup live, but hasn't happened yet since Covid etc.

• i started doing this recently kemper thru monitors with speaker sim full wet and monitor out thru small marshall combo no spk sim sounds amazing more 3 d cleans and dirty sound way better in my opinion lol

• If i'm reading you right, yes, that is what I'm running too.

I have 3 power amps and run "MOD LEFT" (stack + mono modulated effects) to a custom 2x12 guitar cab. Then I run "WET L/R" (kill dry delay effects) to a PA cab.

This gives all the amp in room gut punch I ever want to hear(Mesa 20/20 EL-84 tubes power stage), plus crystal clear echo effects.

Edited 2 times, last by mikeSFO ().

• I do this pretty regularly! I have the dry signal through the Kabinet in the middle and two active studio monitors on left and right with effects. Sounds massive! Just set the Main Output to "Delay/Reverb wet", connect your monitors to those, and set the the Monitor Output to "Stack". Try it, you won't be disappointed! I even considered bringing small monitors to the stage for using this setup live, but hasn't happened yet since Covid etc.

I really struggled with dialing this in because if you choose STACK, then you'll be missing flanger and phaser...UNLESS, if you place all those in one of the delay/reverb stomps, does it route correctly?

As a stopgap, I changed STACK to MOD LEFT and now I get Stack plus mono MOD effects coming thru my guitar cab. Do let me know if you have discovered a workaround.

Also, running this W/D/W setup apparently prevents the Looper from being able to run in OUTPUT position (which is the only good way to use a looper, IMO), so if i want looper, i need to reroute MONO wet to my stack...which defeats WDW, obviously.

Anybody find a way to fix the looper limitation with this??

• I haven't tried the looper in WDW... good question. Perhaps somebody else can chime in?

Isn't MOD LEFT specifically built in for that exact purpose? So stack plus modulation effects? I guess it should work fine like that!

I played with this more last night. So, moving stereo MOD effects to a "REV" or "DELAY" stomp location, does not do anything as far as allowing those to hit the WET outputs. Also, pitch transposer, chorus, flanger, phaser, are all in the MOD category, and cannot be used in stereo under W/D/W...as far as I can tell.

For now, I'll stick with MOD LEFT as my guitar cab output. The only thing I'm really missing here is a true stereo chorus. The clean stereo delay effects routed to their own wide-ish range speakers are so worth it.

• I have tried this. Ended using full signal in the monitors and dry in the cab. If I only ran the wet signal in the monitors I found it hard to balance the effect level. It was all over the place.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I have tried this. Ended using full signal in the monitors and dry in the cab. If I only ran the wet signal in the monitors I found it hard to balance the effect level. It was all over the place.

i sure do like using the built in looper, so i may forego "true W/D/W" and go that route too. I'll play with it more tonight.

• I played with this more last night. So, moving stereo MOD effects to a "REV" or "DELAY" stomp location, does not do anything as far as allowing those to hit the WET outputs. Also, pitch transposer, chorus, flanger, phaser, are all in the MOD category, and cannot be used in stereo under W/D/W...as far as I can tell.

For now, I'll stick with MOD LEFT as my guitar cab output. The only thing I'm really missing here is a true stereo chorus. The clean stereo delay effects routed to their own wide-ish range speakers are so worth it.

It should certainly be possible to get stereo effects in the WW section of the rig? This is one of the major fun things about such a setup. I haven't tried it yet myself, will do tonight.

• Running MOD L and MOD R in stereo, in addition to the Del/Rev L&R (4 amps total), would get ya there, but who has 4 power amps and 4 separate speakers for this?

There should be a way to route all the MOD effects to the kill-dry WET outputs to allow for true W/D/W to include Chorus, Fla, Pha, etc...

• Bumping this older discussion to provide an update:

I added a fourth power amp and speaker to my W/D/W rig. That's right, I'm running W/D/D/W! The goal was to be able to achieve a true stereo chorus, since this is apparently summed in WDW routing.

I'm still testing and tweaking, but I'm not yet sure I am able to achieve true stereo imaging for chorus, flanger, and phaser. I thought I remembered the modulation effects having a STEREO parameter, but I no longer see that anywhere. It sounds wider, but that may be the physical separation of the speakers, and slight latency.

Stay tuned.