New guy here!

• Welcome to the group!

Thank you! I've been having a freaking ball with this thing. So far my favorite amps have been reampzone's 5150 pack, and aside from general EQ I personally find the definition knob to be the most crucial parameter. But I'm still learning exactly how to utilize the other parameters.

No real reason to share all that, I'm just excited over how much I love this thing. :)

Epiphone Les Paul - BKP Nailbombs

LTD H-1001 - EMGs

EVH 5150

• ... aside from general EQ I personally find the definition knob to be the most crucial parameter. But I'm still learning exactly how to utilize the other parameters.

My favourite parameter too mate, by a mile.

Amazing what you can achieve using just Definition and the Stack EQ. These, along with the Cabinet parameters, have the greatest effect on tone without changing the Cabinet IMHO.

I'm guilty of dumbing things down to the simplest M.O. possible (IMHO), which for me is:

Quick ballpark shaping

Tweak Definition

Adjust Stack EQ (if necessary)

Still not quite there?

Adjust Pick parameter

Raise Amp Compression a touch for a creamier / smoother playing feel

Add a bit of Sag for a more-vintage playing feel

Beyond this point I start to seriously consider switching Rigs. If feeling adventurous I'll hit the Cab settings once in a blue moon, but I'm more likely to move on to another Rig. Life's too-short. :pinch:

• I'm the same way, which is probably why I prefer the Kemper over the AFX - I prefer the simplicity of a handful of small tweaks as opposed to spending months trying to perfect one single tone like it's a masters thesis.

So far I've had the same process for almost every profile:

Lower gain for clarity

Lower mid EQ about 1.5-2

Standard LP/HP in post EQ

Adjust definition to taste, depending on what I need the tone for

The sliiiightest adjustments to the cabinet high/low parameters, maybe 0.2 either direction, they're super sensitive.

If that doesn't put me in ballpark, I also just move on to the next!

Being that I love medium-high gain, I think the only trouble I've had is finding that perfect balance between overdriven tone and the amp's distortion. The boosted profiles I've found seem to always have the boost cranked all the way, so there is little balance. I keep finding myself going back to an unboosted tone and throwing in my own TS9 or Maxon so I can ease them in to where they need to be. If that makes sense. Perhaps I should play with the compression levels a little more.

LTD H-1001 - EMGs

EVH 5150

• I agree with you that many boosted high gain profiles have way too much gain. Even if I lower dist sense to 0 there's still too much. Just becuase you can crank that much gain doesn't mean there's a point doing it. And on most high gain tracks we love the gain is much lower than most guitarists beIieve it is. The updated driver pedal is very good. But I still like to use my own OD's too. I have both a Ibanez TS9 and a Maxon TS9. The latter has more bite.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• I agree with you that many boosted high gain profiles have way too much gain. Even if I lower dist sense to 0 there's still too much. Just becuase you can crank that much gain doesn't mean there's a point doing it. And on most high gain tracks we love the gain is much lower than most guitarists beIieve it is. The updated driver pedal is very good. But I still like to use my own OD's too. I have both a Ibanez TS9 and a Maxon TS9. The latter has more bite.

I haven't had much success with the built in "green scream" or whatever it's called, I only tried it for a couple of minutes but it felt too... amp sim to me. Do people here generally consider it accurate? I might have to give it another shot.

LTD H-1001 - EMGs

EVH 5150