Merged, direct or normal profiles for Kemper Kabinet?

• Let me try this again.

(I'll just assume you don't mean this as condescending as it sounds...)

I wasn't talking about merged or studio profiles but direct profiles. Your explanations and metaphors are good, but I understood all of this already.

What I was pointing out: Direct profiles through the Kemper Kabinet sound best with Kemper's speaker imprints. But the speaker imprints don't go through the PA. What the PA hears is the cabinet that I added to the direct profile even if I don't hear it through the Kemper Kabinet myself.

That means I need to make a choice: Do I want to get the best sound through the Kabinet or does the audience get the best sound. As I said before, the first option would be the obvious choice... So when it comes to live playing with a PA, I assume that studio and merged profiles are the much better choice than direct profiles.

• My understanding is that initial purpose of direct profiles were for connecting Kemper and real guitar cabinet! Direct profiles were "invented" long before Kabinet or Kone were introduced so not because of Kone.

So your assumption

... So when it comes to live playing with a PA, I assume that studio and merged profiles are the much better choice than direct profiles.

is correct :)

• Generally Kemper Kone works with any kind of PROFILE.

However, if you use a Direct PROFILE combination with a Kemper Kone the following hints from the Main Manual chapter Kemper Kone / Kemper Kabinet are relevant:

·       You probably use Direct PROFILEs in your live set, such as acoustic guitar sounds or bass Rigs. Direct PROFILEs are indicated by having the cabinet module set to Empty and feature a full-range sound. Running a full-range sound through a traditional guitar speaker will sound unpleasant. Therefore, in Speaker Imprint mode (Monitor Cab Off active), when switching to a Direct PROFILE, KEMPER Kone will automatically switch to full-range mode for that Rig. No preparation required!

·       You might want to use Direct Amp PROFILEs which have cabinet module set to Empty for running an electric guitar into the Kone/Kabinet, without using a virtual cabinet in the cabinet module and feeding it to a mixing desk through the MAIN OUTPUT. In this case you still need to establish an active cabinet in the cabinet module and then save the Rig. If you dont, your PROFILE will be interpreted as a Direct PROFILE and played back in full-range mode. To make this process easier, you could activate a cabinet and LOCK it, so that it stays active for all your Rigs. It doesnt matter which cabinet you choose.

• Great info. Simple question, what is the best Output choice to use a Kone speaker? Monitor or Main?

• Hi, Kaschko,

(I'll just assume you don't mean this as condescending as it sounds...)

No condescension intended. If I came across that way, I apologize. Let's chalk that up to the frailties of writing on the web.

Now that Burkhard has joined the conversation, I'll lay out.

Cheers,

ST

• There is no choice. As clearly stated in that chapter of the Main Manual the MONITOR OUTPUT is the only line-level output supporting Kemper Kone functionality.

So you either connect the Kemper Kone to an external power amp driven from the MONITOR OUTPUT of any PROFILER model. Or you connect the Kemper Kone to the SPEAKER OUTPUT of a PROFILER PowerHead or PowerRack. Their internal power amp is internally wired to the MONITOR OUTPUT as well.

• That means I need to make a choice: Do I want to get the best sound through the Kabinet or does the audience get the best sound. As I said before, the first option would be the obvious choice... So when it comes to live playing with a PA, I assume that studio and merged profiles are the much better choice than direct profiles.

I wouldn't see that as the obvious choice at all. You are playing for the audience so always make sure they get the best sound.

You will never get the same sound with imprints as the full Studio profile going to FOH. The imprints are intended to sound like standing in front of a real cabinet (no mic used). Whereas Studio or Merged profiles being sent to FOH are intended to sound like a guitar cab with a mic in front.

These are very different things.

The difference between on stage and FOH with the Kemper is exactly the same as it always was with a valve amp and speaker cabinet with a mic in front.

If you want to have the audience hear exactly what you are hearing then you need to hear the full FOH studio profile through a good FRFR. Some people don't like the feel and/or sound of FRFR so accept the on stage and FOH sound wil be different.

• Of course, this was a typo. I said it correctly in my other post. Audience sound is more important, that’s exactly why I don’t think getting the best sound out of the Kabinet (direct or merged profile with speaker imprints) is the best solution for the audience (who should get a proper studio profile).