Last question(s) before purchase (this week)?

• I agree 100% about the mindset.

I just look like a guitarist holding a bass.

Man, it takes some time. The most important thing is the awareness and as you say the mindset. Recognizing that an electrical bass is not just a guitar with less strings 8o

But indeed there are people out there who can do both in a great way. My standard example is Sting who is a reasonably good guitar player but an incredible (band oriented and tasteful) bass player. Can't get enough of watching him playing the bass...

Personally I am a guitar player and though I like to grab my bass and do some basic tracking for demos and recordings I would never claim to be a bass player. Missing so much of the background and skills needed. Nevertheless it helps me a lot to push creative processes and sketch things which the "real bass player" in my band can enhance and adjust to be the real thing in the end.

• I am NOT one of those people that it bothers when a topic goes off topic a bit, but man did this one ever! lol One last question went to bass emulators to favorite cheap basses to playing bass. Interesting.

• I am NOT one of those people that it bothers when a topic goes off topic a bit, but man did this one ever! lol One last question went to bass emulators to favorite cheap basses to playing bass. Interesting.

It is not "one last question", but "last question(s)".

- "What type of beginner bass would I get for hard rock - heavy metal songs (not djent or death)? Type P, Jazz or PJ bass? ... "

That's why people suggest beginner basses - of course there favourites, what else?!

The EHX pedal was mentioned as an alternative and it also has a Precision bass emulation = direct connection to the question. Especially when the next sentence is:

"I want lay some bass tracks over my songs and figure a bass can't be too hard to learn, right?"

The pedal is perfect solution for this too. Also Kemper can be used (Pitch Shifter) for this purpose. And as you can read, the "bass can't be too hard to learn, right?" lead to discussion about exactly this part.

All nice answers, trying to help and I can see no off topic???