Kemper Kabinet good option for home?

• Hello Players!

Im very new to Kemper Profilers but so excited. I just got my non-powers head and i cant decide which speakers to use. Im thinking about KrK studio monitors or the Kemper Kabinet. Im a stay at home guitarist with neighbours and i just want to play at “movienight” volumes suitable for home. Will the Kabinet still be good at low volume? And can i also use the kabinet for mixing and producing on my Mac Mini?

Ps Money is not a problem i just want the best sound/feel

• Hi, TheVoid.

Welcome!

For playing at home, studio monitors, headphones, or Kemper Kabinets will all work.

Kemper Kones

You can use Kemper Kones Speaker Imprints. These can give you lots of variety and control over the amp in the room experience.

You will need a power amp to drive the Kemper Kabinets(s).

If you have a stereo power amp, you can run two Kemper Kabinets in stereo.

Recording

Studio monitors or headphones will be best for mixing and mastering.

How loud?

Can you play at 85 dB SPL in your home (without the neighbours storming the gates with torches)?

• As ST said, all of these will work. If playing just guitar and you want to sound and feel like you are playing a traditional amp then the Kabinet is probably the way to go but you will also need a power amp to drive it. If you want to play along to recordings/backing tracks and sound more like you are part of the band then studio monitors is probably a better option. If you want to make your own recordings you will need monitors anyway.

I have both and much prefer studio monitors at home but the Kabinet is great for monitoring in a band context (rehearsals and gigs).

If you go down the studio monitor route try a few before buying. I don’t have any experience with the KRK range but I know they get very mixed reviews from guitarists. I believe they are quite aggressive and work well for techno type purposes but some people seem to say they aren’t great for guitar driven material. The best way to chose monitors is always to demo them yourself rather than rely on other people’s opinions.

• I prefer h.p.’s, for quiet noodling, but use a 12” Celestion in an open back cab for jams.

I tried JBL studio monitors and didn’t like the “ feel “

Lately I’ve been using a Yamaha DXR 10. It sounds very accurate to the profiles

and has a great feel. It took awhile to get my settings just right, but with the new 8.0

and o.d.’s. It’s the best solution for me.

• Thank you all for replying, it was very helpful. So im going for the Studiomonitors then.

Next question, which one is favourited aming Kemper players?

oh btw why monitors? Cant i just go for an active Hifi standing speakerset? Or will they be damaged because they are designed differently?

• Thank you all for replying, it was very helpful. So im going for the Studiomonitors then.

Next question, which one is favourited aming Kemper players?

I'm also a new Kemper user, and bedroom volumes are my game right now (w/ 2 very young kids at home).

I did a fair amount of research on studio nearfield monitors. What I bought, and you'll see most people rate very highly, is a pair of ADAM A7x's. They are about $750 each new, so a pair will be $1500. Got some monitor stands and then I'll be ready to go.

They arrive Friday - I'll post an update!

• I'm also a new Kemper user, and bedroom volumes are my game right now (w/ 2 very young kids at home).

I did a fair amount of research on studio nearfield monitors. What I bought, and you'll see most people rate very highly, is a pair of ADAM A7x's. They are about $750 each new, so a pair will be $1500. Got some monitor stands and then I'll be ready to go.

They arrive Friday - I'll post an update!

yes i would love to hear your update!

I was looking at some Tannoy Gold 7. Read some good reviews from guitar players

• I just picked up some JBL 306's. They are -$50 off each for U.S. Black Friday sale (first official day of Xmas shopping). Sound fantastic right out the box. Didn't even do a setup yet. $100 off the sub too, so I ordered one so my wife can get "boomed" to some dance club music and not be mad at me for buying more speakers. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Honestly, I would have said that head phones are best for an apartment. I do agree that studio monitors are better sounding, but I think you will find that you will play them at levels that the neighbors will not like.

The KPA sounds very good through headphones. The only drawback is that you can't get the string action you will get with real speakers actually moving air in the room .... but moving air will also get the police called on you ;).

• The bad thing about using just headphones is you don't get a good stereo field separation. But whenever the wife says Turn it Lower! I put the headphones on. So get a real good pair.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• The bad thing about using just headphones is you don't get a good stereo field separation. But whenever the wife says Turn it Lower! I put the headphones on. So get a real good pair.

I seem to have the opposite problem when going from my PA to my headphones. The headphones have much better stereo separation and therefore sound different than the PA (although the PA sounds different for a lot of reasons).

• I use a Kemper cabinet and a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 for my Kemper Stage.

At home, the noise of the Powerstage 170 fan is a problem, and this fan is running full time...

I have a Powerstage 700 and I don't think the fan ever is heard. I've used it at an outdoor gig a few times and indoor at home. Totally silent.