I pre-ordered AmpliTube 5

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

While others are talking about the Quad Cortex and looking forward to its release I pre-orderd AmpliTube 5 :D

Despite owning the Kemper for years, I am still using AmpliTube for recording till today and can't wait to play around with the new version.

I always liked the possibilities of the cab room (changing speakers on the fly, room mics...) for example, even if the quality of the cab was not on par with other solutions. The guitar player Paul Rose (see YouTube) always did get very convincing sounds using AmpliTube and inspired me to take more time creating my own presets. Fender 2 was pretty damn good out of the box too. I just like it, say what you want 8)

So I am very excited about the redone cabs and new amps look very, very promising. I know, it will not outperform the Kemper in feel, but I really can't wait to play it! AmpliTube has an additional bonus: GUI looks f***ing great! And the new version seems to push the fusion of simplicity of tweaking and beautiful looking gear to the max really. Looks like the perfect user interface for me.

Watching the video, I have to say the guys from IK Multimedia seem to be very nice people!

In my opinion every company who is driving development forward is good for us guitar players. We have so many great solutions today - even if someone can not afford the Kemper yet. AmpliTube is a totally different approach, but I like that too.

• yes..it looks really well done.

I dont have a lot of experience in this kind of software.. I Rarely use guitar rig or th3 but sometimes I use Torpedo wall of sound and the new IK "cab sim" seems extremely accurate.

• Same here, Don.

Most of the cranked amps sound gnarly-and-constricted to me, and the top end "plasticky", something many modellers are guilty of IMHO. Some of the cleans are passable when smothered with FX, IMHO, but honestly, after all this time I'd have expected AmpliTube to sound better at this point.

• still sounds like I remember it ;)

I remember even AmpliTube 3 did sound really great to me - not the common opinion, but what shall I do, I like it :D

Re-Upload from Paul Rose with old, old AmpliTube 3:

Or Amplitube 4:

Sounds very nice to me :)

• I always found that the GUI looked amazing and my "eyes" were ready to be blown away, but then my "ears" got involved and meh, not so much. Imagine if Rig Manager had those sexy graphics, lol...

• I used amplitube 3 for all my early recordings and live one time, it is pretty good in the mix, but when played alone, you can hear the strange compression effect when playing high volumes (the plasticky-line6-like sound). Otherwise, sounds good on recording and it is maybe the most intuitive interface for actual musicians that do amps and recording. Also you can always use your own IRs and the sound is pretty convincing, just the dynamics are not greatly different between amps.

The answer is 42

• Ibot39 Paul would sound great through a cigarette packet amp...he only use one basic setting in Amplitube iirc ...great guy...outstanding player ...

Looking forwards to try Amplitube 5 though .

Sure thing...and he is sharing the settings in a video and they sound excellent for me too. I guess there is a reason he is still using it. It's simple, good enough and works for him in this setting.

There a several "pros" using Amplitube in the studio and getting good results. For example Steve Hackett always was and is very open-minded towards amp sims. Producer Ben Fenner:

"The recording chain for the guitars that I recorded with Steve on Genesis Revisited II was:

Steve's Guitar, a Gold Top Burny, went into a SansAmp and then into the volume pedal. The output of the volume pedal went straight into the Hi-Z input of a Summit TPA-200 tube preamp and this was followed by a Summit EQP-200 tube EQ which was then patched straight into my Digidesign ProTools interface.

I used ProTools 10 to record and post-process everything, and all guitar processing was done inside of ProTools as well, using IK Multimedia AmpliTube 3 for everything apart from some delays and reverbs.

The sound for “Supper's Ready” arose from a discussion with Steve about the old days in Genesis where he said he used to use two fuzzboxes to get the extra sustain and emphasis on the upper harmonics he was after. I found a preset on AmpliTube 3 that used, among other things, two Fender Blender Fuzz/Wahs going into a '59 Fender Bassman.

This proved a great starting point, and once I got rid of the other pedals in the chain and tweaked the settings, it was sounding pretty good but needed something extra to capture the sound that Steve was hearing in his head. This proved to be the addition of an XS Fuzz, modeled on the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, inserted after the second Fender Blender. In my opinion, this took the sound to a slightly more mental level of gain than we were after originally, but it certainly did the trick, and Steve being the complete and consummate master of controlling huge amounts of gain that he is, played it superbly."

• External Content youtu.be

Amplitube always was good looking and intuitive to control. But that new cab section is unbelievable (only talking about ease of use - not the sound yet ^^). You can not make this better! See how easy you can change cabs and speakers and just drag in different mics - perfect! The VIR Tech view is even better than Mikko plugin. Perfect visual control, speakers near the mic'd speaker light up and show how much they influence the sound... all intuitive and self-explanatory without reading a manual. That is how you do a great interface!

• So Ibot39 What about the sound of VIR?!?

I've already installed the free version of Amplitube 5, and almost finished to install all the others IK plug ins and Sounds that I can't wait to use in my DAW.

(Sample tank 4 and Syntronic)

but (clearly) the VIR it's not included in the free version.

Honestly how does it sound in Your opinion?

• So Ibot39 What about the sound of VIR?!?

I've already installed the free version of Amplitube 5, and almost finished to install all the others IK plug ins and Sounds that I can't wait to use in my DAW.

(Sample tank 4 and Syntronic)

but (clearly) the VIR it's not included in the free version.

Honestly how does it sound in Your opinion?

Sorry for the late answer. I had no time for trying it out yet. Will report back, when I have tested it.

• still sounds like I remember it ;)

I now own 5 MAX, and the reason is It sounds much better than I remember it... ;)

To my "glasses holders," they did a remarkable job tone-wise retweaking the amps & cabs. The interface is now killer, and you can import your own IR's now. Improvements wise, what's not to like?

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

Edited once, last by spikey ().

• and you can import your own IR's now.

Cool,..

.. and is it possible to Export VIR settings as IR?

My main goal is to use it as CAB Creator/maker and import my IK 'cab+mics settings' into Profiler. (so I'm not really interested to know how its amp/stomp Sim sounds)

Right now I'm using Wall of Sound By Two Notes, it works really well (IMHO) but You can not save them as IR.

It allows You to load and use Your Own IRs but it just allows You to save as Wall of Sound settings File (.top extension)

so every time I had to profile it so it's not a quick solution.

• It is not possible to simple export IR (like in the Mikko plugin for example). But you can shoot an IR like you would do with any other gear (disabling amp section).

Or why not just profile the the Amplitube 5 cab, speaker, mic chain with the Kemper? The amps itself didn't profile well in the past, but profiling the cab section worked great (Amplitube 4). You can even add some VST "studio gear" to shape the tone to your liking.

• yep!..that's what I'm doing now with WoS.

You have to consider, that when using the room mics / different rooms in Amplitube, it will not sound the same after profiling. That's something the Kemper can't do. You only get the "eq" of it but not the room.

I'm testing Amplitube 5 for 3 days now. There are still some bugs, but the core sound is really good.

The thing is: You have to completely ignore ANY presets and start with the "default".

Then load your gear / amps and again ignore all the default amp settings, default stomp presets... :)

Just dial out the unreasonable settings and dial in, what you would do with a real amp. Explore the different amp modes. This is very easy and intuitive and now everythings sounds like it should.

I think that is the problem with almost every utube video I've seen. Many of those (payed or lazy ;)) people just don't:

- Properly setup their interface for AT5 (wrong input gain, weak signal or clipping... sample rate...)

- They just rush through unusable, overlaoded presets or choosing amps (also preset settings) and are not fine tuning them to their guitars like you would do with any real amp (at least some quick adjustments)

What I can say is, that FOR ME AT5 sounds better than any AT before. The new cabs sound rounder, more realistic and I don't want to load some 3rd party IR instantly :saint:

But you can. And the build in IR loader is great. You have LPF and HPF and you can adjust cab size and tilt (small adjustments have a big impact here). I already used this to make my 1x12 IR sound bigger. I am experimenting with "tilt" too - seems you can add highs (like cab tilted upwards) or the opposite (cab tilted downwards), which is a similar effect as standing in the room with the ears above the speaker. EDIT: Maybe "tilt" is just something like mic position.

I always liked Fender 2 collection, but now Fender 1 has benefitted a lot from the new cabs and sounds glorious. The Deluxe Reverb is just what I needed. The Champion 600 is so cool....

The Engl amps with the new cabs are nice (and very versatile) too.

And the new amps are just killer. The MiniPlexi 20 (Friedman Pink Taco) for example is just fantastic.

The workflow just works for me. For nostalgic reasons I created a preset with a Boss Metal Zone stomp (Metal Distortion).

The trick is to first ignore the preset again, turn everthing on the pedal at noon and than fine tune only with level and gain. Used the PRS Archon 50 model with neutral settings as a clean platform, dropped in a Mesa 4x12 cab with V30, tiny bit of reverb. Ready to rock preset in 3 minutes, that sounds awesome (when you like a Metal Zone 8o).

Edited once, last by Ibot39 ().

• U guys like metal zone?

The answer is 42

• External Content soundcloud.com

Alfahdj Here is a reamped version of my Amplitube 5 "Metal Zone" (incl. EQ + limiter plugin)

• Just dial out the unreasonable settings and dial in, what you would do with a real amp. Explore the different amp modes. This is very easy and intuitive and now everythings sounds like it should.

yep- and an A+ on this common-sense part (what you would do with a real amp). :thumbup:

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user