How to export rig to usb to take to other kpa

• Going to the studio that has two kempers next sat. I have a performance that I use in the perform mode that I would love to be able to transfer in the studio so I don’t have to take my kemper. How would I do this?

• Hi, Clselby,

You can export/import Rigs and Presets using a USB key. To transfer a Performance, use Rig Manager - at both ends.

Ensure both source and target Kemper Profilers are running the same version of the Kemper Operating System. If they aren't, the target Profiler may not support features in the Performance. For example, Kemper Overdrives released in KAOS 8.x aren't supported in earlier versions.

Export a Performance in Rig Manager using Windows (I don't have a Mac, but this should be similar)

1. Navigate to All Performances | My Profiler
    2. Right Click the Performance you want to Export
    3. Choose Export (Ctrl-E)
    4. Select the Destination (Your USB Key)
      It will have a file extension .kperformance

Import a Performance using Rig Manager

1. Navigate to All Performances | My Profiler
    2. Open a new window in Windows File Manager
      1. Navigate to the USB key
      2. Find the Performance you want to Import
    3. Use the mouse to drag the Performance
      • From the File Manager Window
      • To the Rig Manager All Performances | My Profiler into one of the New Performance locations.
    4. The Performance should be available in the Profiler.
      1. Set the Profiler to Performance Mode
      2. In Rig Manager, select the Performance, then Ctrl-Enter to load it.
      3. Save the Performance to the Profiler
        • In Rig Manager, click Store Performance in #___ (the Performance slot)
          OR
          On the Profiler, Press the Store Button 3 times to make sure it's stored.

The following is from the Kemper Manual version 7.5 - No mention of transferring Performances via USB key.

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides

Kemper Profiling Amplifier (unpowered) [2014], Remote [2016], Stage [2020], PowerRack, Remote & Kab[2021]
    Twitter | LinkedIn | My Blog | My Kemper Notes

Edited 5 times, last by ST: Adding information about using Rig Manager to Export / Import a Performance Added "Ensure both source and target Kemper Profilers are running the same version of the Kemper Operating System. If they aren't, the target Profiler may not support features in the Performance. For example, Kemper Overdrives released in KAOS 8.x aren't supported in earlier versions.​" ().

• the Easy way..

At Home:
    1. Backup your Kemper to USB Stick No1.

2. put your KAOS.bin also on the USB Stick No1 on root

3. Ask your studio what KAOS version they use und put this on Stick No 2. on root.

In Studio:

1. Backup studio Kemper to USB Stick No2.

2. Update the Studio Kemper with your KAOS Version,
    boot and install your KAOS Version from USB Stick No1 ( Press < and > Button while switching on)

3. Restore your Backup on the Studio Kemper.

After Session is finished:
    reinstall studio KAOS Version from USB Stick No2 ( Press < and > Button while switching on)
    Restore the the Studio Backup from USB Stick No. 2

Done.
    You never know the Version and setup of the Studio Kemper.

Be the force with you ;)

Edited 2 times, last by Yoda Guitar ().

• Hi, Yoda Guitar.

I like your approach because it ensures that Clselby will have everything they need for the Performance to work. Transferring only the Performance but not the Operating System, there's a possibility the Performance includes features (e.g. new overdrives in KAOS 8.x) that are not supported in an older version of the Operating System (if the studio environment is not up to date).

You'd want to get permission from the studio before doing a backup from, and installing a different version of the operating system on, the studio Profiler. It would take longer to do the backups and install the Operating System and then reverse that when you are done, than to install the Performance file using Rig Manager.

On the other hand, I'd expect the studio to be running the latest production version of the Operating System and Rig Manager. If that's the case, then you should only need the Performance file. Installing it on the Profiler in the studio should take seconds.

Clselby,

I'd make a point of saving the Performance at the end of the studio session if you have made any changes to it while there.

Edit: Keep a copy of the Performance in case you need to have the same settings later.

Edit:

Consider leaving a copy of it with the studio, so they have it on file. You will want that if you return to the studio and you want the same sound.

Kemper Profiling Amplifier (unpowered) [2014], Remote [2016], Stage [2020], PowerRack, Remote & Kab[2021]
    Twitter | LinkedIn | My Blog | My Kemper Notes

Edited 2 times, last by ST: Strikeout to the following due to possible violation of user agreement of commercial third party profiles. Consider leaving a copy of it with the studio, so they have it on file. You will want that if you return to the studio and you want the same sound. ().

• Clselby,

I'd make a point of saving the Performance at the end of the studio session if you have made any changes to it while there. Consider leaving a copy of it with the studio, so they have it on file. You will want that if you return to the studio and you want the same sound.

I would take my own laptop to the studio. You need the laptop anyway :)

The problem that often nobody pays attention to is that the profiles used are often copyright protected. Therefore I would always try to leave the Studio Kemper behind as I found it. Therefore I would always ask the studio operator to create a backup, which can be restored after the session.

Be the force with you ;)

• Hi, Yoda Guitar,

I would take my own laptop to the studio. You need the laptop anyway :)

The problem that often nobody pays attention to is that the profiles used are often copyright protected. Therefore I would always try to leave the Studio Kemper behind as I found it. Therefore I would always ask the studio operator to create a backup, which can be restored after the session.

Point taken about leaving a copy of the Performance. I have amended my post above.

So far, the missing piece in the discussion is the agreement with the studio operator. That agreement should cover the before and after state of the Profiler (e.g., operating system version, Profiles installed, responsibility for returning the Profiler to the 'before' state).

Cheers,

ST

• Hey, here's another thought.

There's no easy way to move a Performance from one Profiler to another using only a USB key (without Rig Manager), However, you can export/import Rigs. To recreate a Performance on a different Profiler - using only a USB key (without Rig Manager) you can do this:

On the source Profiler

• From within the Performance, Store each of the five slots as Rigs to the (Browse) pool.
    • Once the five Rigs are in the Browse pool, go to Browse mode and export them individually to the USB key.

On the target Profiler

• Import the Rigs from the USB key.
    • Create a new Performance with the Rigs you imported.

Note: To avoid complications - make sure both Profilers are running the same OS version.

• I was expecting to be able to export a perfomance to usb from the kemper, then import a performance etc. Seems strange to me that this basic functionality is missing from the base unit, I do use rig manager but there's been a couple of times now when other members of the band have wanted to use one of my performances and it cant be done at rehursal as we dont take computers. I've been a software developer for many years which is why I was supprised this functiionality wasnt available, maybe we can have this in the next update ?