Digital Rights Management

• And please point me in the direction of the system that exists for those who've had their amps profiled without their permission, while you're at it.

Also, no recourse for the little guys, like Suhr, Fortin, etc. People who put years of R&D, insight, cleverness, and love into creating something special, and someone taking and distributing a copy of that thing for free. Because, it's not currently illegal. Immoral, perhaps, but.not illegal.

I think you misunderstand the concept of profiling someone’s amp without their permission. There is no need to have permission to profile an amp any more than there is to make a recording of that amp or to ask permission to use the mic in the process of making the recording. Profiling is capturing the sound not copying the IP that created that sound. Not only is not illegal but it isn’t immoral either. However, distributing profiles themselves without ownership or permission from the owner is both illegal and immoral.

• The day you come to a venue with a rented Profiler and you want to put your DRM'd profiles for the gig, you'll think again about who works against whom

There can be contingencies for this as well. Eventide once again leads in this. I can sign into someone else's H9 with my ID. I have to add the device temporarily to my account, and have them temporarily delete it from their's... so THIS is not a good solution. BUT it is possible

The Kemper is essentially a computer, so the ability via the thumb drive port to use an i-lok type solution, or something none of us are even thinking of yet, could be implemented. It's not impossible, nor really that expensive a game to get into.

But I think it's irresponsible to not take this course of action, and TBH, dishonorable on the part of Kemper, and all of us who have used free profiles are complicit in this. Even me. and even more so if we don't stand up for what is right.

Creator of the Stormhenge Superthump and the DSL MAX mod. Amateur tinkerer, and lifelong tone chaser. Magically broken.

Gabrielle Graves bassist and producer

Edited once, last by stormhenge ().

• Ironically, Kemper making a DRM system could make them complicit in any cases against profile sellers by amp manufacturers, if they change copyright law to allow the sound produced by a circuit to be copyrighted, which is so absurd that it could possibly happen in the world of today.

It’s funny that you demand a DRM system be put in place on the background of an amp you built on the back of someone else’s circuit. You wouldn’t be in a position to demand this if it wasn’t for the free sharing of schematics on the Internet.

• and all of us who have used free profiles are complicit in this. Even me. and even more so if we don't stand up for what is right.

Once again we need to be specific here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using free profiles if the creator of the profiles allows this. When uploading a rig to Rig Exchange you specifically grant the ability for others to use it. However, sharing commercial profiles is on breach of EULA and is clearly immoral and illegal.

I haven’t used commercial profiles that I haven’t paid for and won’t do so. In fact another forum member sent me a rig once with effects loaded to help me achieve a specific song tone. When I opened it I noticed that it wasn't a free profile. As the profile now resided on my KPA and I had used it I didn’t feel it was right to continue using it in the knowledge that I hadn’t paid for it. i could have deleted it butI still felt bad having used it. So, I went to the profiler’s webstie and bought the profile. I also notified the user who sent it to me about breaching the creator’s agreement. He was most apologetic as he hadn’t realised the implications of sharing his effect chain on a commercial profile. I am pretty sure that he will not have shared any commercial profiles since.

The problem with DRM is that it is a nuisance for people who wouldn’t break the rules anyway and the people who would break the rules will always manage to find a way to circumvent it. Just look at the number of cracked versions of things like Protools etc that are in circulation.

• It’s funny that you demand a DRM system be put in place on the background of an amp you built on the back of someone else’s circuit. You wouldn’t be in a position to demand this if it wasn’t for the free sharing of schematics on the Internet.

Patent expiration. Not to mention the Marshall circuit and damn near every amp you've ever played is basically a clone of the Fender circuit. But you make a decent point.

And I haven't profited off any of my builds, but if decide to go down that path, and if doing so required I pay a license fee, I'd gladly do it.

Still curios why people are so defensive in favor of the current model. These types of systems that take advantage of creatives remain in place because we allow them to. Not because they need to. I don't understand why individuals consistently operate from a place of unworthiness. This idea that if we demand meaningful change to institutions such as streaming, or any free distribution models, our overlords will somehow effectively punish us. Demand something better. You're worth it. Your work is worth it.

Creator of the Stormhenge Superthump and the DSL MAX mod. Amateur tinkerer, and lifelong tone chaser. Magically broken.

• The problem with DRM is that it is a nuisance for people who wouldn’t break the rules anyway and the people who would break the rules will always manage to find a way to circumvent it. Just look at the number of cracked versions of things like Protools etc that are in circulation.

I agree with most of the rest of your post, but on this I disagree. Blockchain cannot be beat. It cannot be fooled. If implemented properly platform side it can effectively eliminate piracy with regards to purchases, licenses, even music ownership. (Yes, that last one is EXTREMELY complicated due to the nature of the medium. If it were simple, the RIAA would have already figured it out. But they're working on it.)

• It's not about being defensive in favor of the current model.

It's more to be against a system (DRM) that does nothing against those who illegally use a product (profile, audio file, ebook, Photoshop, Protools, etc.), but creates inconvenience to the legal owner who have paid for the product.

• Still curios why people are so defensive in favor of the current model. These types of systems that take advantage of creatives remain in place because we allow them to. Not because they need to. I don't understand why individuals consistently operate from a place of unworthiness. This idea that if we demand meaningful change to institutions such as streaming, or any free distribution models, our overlords will somehow effectively punish us. Demand something better. You're worth it. Your work is worth it.

You're talking about copyrighting the force a screwdriver has on a screw. An amp is a tool. In and of itself, it is useless. The sound it makes is useless, unless there's someone to utilise it. In the screwdriver analogy, sure, the design of the screwdriver might be copyrightable, but not the outcome of the screw being turned, at least not by the manufacturer (some mad genius handy man might invent some new way to fix a screw in a wall that he might copyright, but I digress). And as for Kemper being threatened by someone reverse engineering their stuff, including DRM and killing it by making deals with manufacturers, when in history has paid ever won over free? A recent example is TH-U. It can apparently convert Kemper profiles for use in the plugin. Unfortunately, only Overloud have the technology to convert them and they charge a fee for all profiles. Even though the plugin is a fraction of the Kemper price, I doubt that it has impacted on Kemper's sales one bit.

Likening DRM in the Kemper for something that isn't actually copyrightable to the shitty deals that streaming services give out to artists isn't appropriate, in my opinion. This is a completely different argument and potentially sends us down a dark path of litigation hell.

Patent expiration. Not to mention the Marshall circuit and damn near every amp you've ever played is basically a clone of the Fender circuit.

This gets bandied around a lot. It's true. No laws were infringed. As it happens, none are in the way Kemper operates, either. DRM is sure to open up that can of worms, however. I'd leave it be and give up the few hundred bucks I'd make from selling my amp profiles for a world where a few lawyers make a little less. Don't share your profiles and be happy :)

• It's not about being defensive in favor of the current model.

It's more to be against a system (DRM) that does nothing against those who illegally use a product (profile, audio file, ebook, Photoshop, Protools, etc.), but creates inconvenience to the legal owner who have paid for the product.

I'm saying with blockchain it would effectively eliminate those you refer to. AND That's a really weak excuse. This forum is littered with literally hundreds of examples of Kemper inconveniences regarding firmware alone. Licensing, if done properly would be as seamless as it is on Eventide. It's literally NEVER an issue.

• So a little more is cool, then?

No one seems to be arguing for upgrades to stop, though. You're more than willing to accept the inconvenience because of everything amazing that you get out of the product. So it's not a reason it's an excuse.

It seems what everyone is really worried about it the prospect of free profiles going away. That's the underlying fear. Not inconvenience. but the perpetuation of free stuff. And don't get me wrong, I'm not some Ayn Rand, capitalist extremist. I love free stuff as much as the next person.Softube's Saturation Knob is one of my favorite things on earth, and It's free. But I never take issue with my paid Softube and UAD plugins, because they're worth it.

And if the whole world were Japan and the idea of not paying someone for their creations were fundamentally unthinkable; a "pay what you feel" model would be amazing. But the rest of the world is currently morally bankrupt when it comes to art and commerce, and I'm saying we can do better. As artists, we deserve better.

• sambrox as Robert Cray said - “give me an hour alone in a bank, tell me a boat full of lawyers just sank......” or the old joke “what do you call a ship full of lawyers at the bottom of the sea? A good start!” Jokes are funny because there is always some truth in them. Litigation typically benefits lawyers more than anyone else.

• No one seems to be arguing for upgrades to stop, though. You're more than willing to accept the inconvenience because of everything amazing that you get out of the product. So it's not a reason it's an excuse.

i don’t see that as a valid comparison

it is possible to opt out of upgrades by simply not installing them however DRM would be embedded in the system and the rigs and therefore affect everyone using the KPA.

• On the subject of someone cloning the kemper algorithms, I can't speak to it but it sounds like fantasy.

On the subject of the notion of piracy in the commercial rig space...

I don't think I've ever seen a user plea for a close ecosystem like this. I think it would be hell if profiles had DRM. In the words of Gabe Newell, "Piracy is a service issue".

If it's easier to pirate or there are regions where people can't afford the product, why not pirate it? The more hoops you have to jump through to get stuff working, the better the experience.

It's kind of a bummer that Kemper doesn't have a storefront for all the commercial profile creators so we can have one place to visit but I think the ecosystem is quite fun to be honest.

HW from ToneJunkie makes fun content, Michael Britt makes just quality stuff you know you can rely on.

I have a few of their packs and a few others and have spent about $200 on commercial profiles after engaging in the world of the Profiler for a few years and I basically use the Morgan AC20 from the Rig Exchange, two profiles form the JMProto pack from Tone Junkie, a JMP and Plexi profile from a pack I'm not sure where I got em.

Piracy isn't even remotely an issue facing this community.

• I think we should all look at this from Kemper’s point of view. They have absolutely nothing to gain from putting a DRM system in place. All they’d be doing would be enabling third-parties to make money off the back of their tech, with all the R&D, upkeep and updates they’ve put into it and continue to do so. They already make money off it anyway, as little as that may be for the small profile vendors, but nothing is stopping them from continuing to do, with or without DRM.

What they certainly will lose though is customers. Even if we’re all cool with buying profiles and no one is pirating, it will still harm the customer base. I for one hate having to input codes to unlock software, and the thought of having to do that every time I buy a profile pack turns me right off.

Of course people who put time and effort into dialling amps, placing mics, adjusting EQs and whatever else should be paid for their work, if that is what they wish. That isn’t a debate for me. I think most people who have shelled out for a Kemper don’t have a problem with that.

• No one seems to be arguing for upgrades to stop, though. You're more than willing to accept the inconvenience because of everything amazing that you get out of the product. So it's not a reason it's an excuse.

Inconveniences when updating are a necessary evil, the times when it goes less than smoothly (only happened to me once in my 7 years of Kemper ownership with a beta, but that’s another tale). I don’t think anyone in the community would think that inconveniences from a DRM system would be worth the few extra bucks that third-parties would make from the few spoiled kids that got a Kemper but don’t have pocket money for profiles.

• When I say the decision will be made for them (and it will) here's what I mean:

There's, at minimum, 3 good candidates to enter the profiling game within the next 2 years. Roland, Yamaha, and UAD - Kemper won't be alone for long, because profiling is a huge new market, and right now they're the only game in town. Kemper got there first, but I can speak from experience, getting there first and having a superior product feels fantastic when the money is pouring in, but it doesn't last long if you don't evolve because everyone else catches up, and they do it faster than you anticipate. (a story for another time - has nothing to do with music or sound - it's not really important.)

There's at least one company (maybe, or maybe not, listed) I know for sure has a working profiling amp that they've had in development for the past 5 years. Their tech works exceptionally well (reportedly), and they're currently refining their ecosystem, OS, and end user experience. They are in no hurry to rush it to market until the whole package - out of the gate - is a total slam dunk. [I know this because I have a friend there working on the project, and he likes to facetime me at 3am when drunk and talk about things he shouldn't.]

• They're looking to totally dominate the profiling landscape within 18 months of launch. They are absolutely going to have a closed system - one that operates in the ways similar to what I've already detailed.
    • And here's the kicker: 3rd party manufacturers won't have to port existing algorithms, or code new algorithms to run on their OS, because the platform will run it's FX engines as zero latency AU plugins, meaning you can run; not only profiles created on the platform, and profiles purchased through the platform store, but amp emulator plugins, and any AU based FX plugin you already own - running like insert slots on a DAW, programmable, and switchable from the pedal based surface. Similar to the Stage and Helix.
    • As well as a mobile app for full GUI control of all onboard settings as well as naming functions too detailed for the inefficient button and wheel/arrow combo right there on your phone or tablet.
    • The whole thing has been running fairly stable on a custom array of outboard RISC based chips (idk the exact details on that part) while they've been waiting for an ARM chip fast enough and robust enough to make the whole thing work in a cheap, energy efficient as well as real estate efficient form factor.
    • And with Apple's new M1 breakthrough, it won't be long till there's a non-apple, multi-cored ARM chip on the market capable of powering the whole unit. - It'll be affordable too, possibly a $999 list $799 street price point. They're coming for it all.
    • I don't know the full details on inputs, outputs, fx loops, midi, ADAT et al, - except that based on the company's history it'll have them...lol

Kemper will likely sit and wait to see if the new closed system device is viable and finds traction.

Meanwhile all the major amp makers will strike official licensing deals as will the boutique makers and before long the new device will be eating a major market share. If Kemper doesn't have a comprehensive plan in place for DRM on the current open system, or an alternate plan for a closed system, they'll have to rush one into play, and likely get it wrong. It'll be wonky, need several firmware updates to get it all up and running correctly, irritating users, all the while forced to sit and watch as their devices, ecosystem, and market share are quickly gobbled up while they try to pivot to get a competing device to market. All of our devices will be devalued for re-sale. Kemper will have a legion of frustrated users with de-valued machines, and a likely desire to migrate. Some current users will adopt the new platform AND hold onto their Kemper, But the number of new incoming customers will drop drastically in favor of the cheaper more full-featured competition. Profit margins will drop as current users find it's cheaper to adopt the new device than to purchase the new Kemper device whenever they're able to get it to market - possibly have to institute a trade-in upgrade program to retain users,, and adopt a new completely closed system of their own in order to be able to land the necessary licensing to implement a similar user experience.

This is the future, This is the free market. This is the fallout.

You can have an amazing piece of tech. You can be the first one to arrive. but the prevailing theme in tech is: evolve, or die.

So why do I care? I sympathize with Kemper. I had a great idea. I got there first. I was wayyyyyy ahead of the curve. And I let it all slip away, because I got complacent, and I didn't see the curve flattening. cuz it was flattening behind closed doors, so fast, that by the time I'd realized I'd been out-flanked, it was too late to react. I support their products and applaud their innovation, and wish to see them continue to flourish. but the curve is flattening...

• User experience is key. Being able to load a profile made in 2011 and for it to sound the same now as it did then, whether it be on the rack or toaster that I had, or on the stage that I currently use, without having to mess about with licenses or permissions or worry about the OS version is what will win out, tones being (reasonably) equal. The Kemper is so simple for a reason. There’s a huge chunk of guitar players that aren’t tech savvy. Some even struggle with the Profiler! Granted, they’re probably a dying breed, but unless that DRM locked ecosystem isn’t plug and play, it’ll be a ship passing in the night.

People are beginning to realise that it doesn’t matter what amp or brand was profiled, as long as it sounds good, anyway.

• […] which is so absurd that it could possibly happen in the world of today.

love this line ... sad that this weird sentence actually makes sense though

-------------------------------------------------------

free you mind and your ass will follow …