HELP! -- Kemper Sound Quality with Focusrite 2i2 gen 3

• Hi Guys;

I have Kemper Profiler and Focusrite 2i2 gen 3. I read all stuff related output settings but my sound still like shit + 1 . I bought kemper to get greater sound than Plug-ins such as Bias Fx.

When i plug my Headphone into Kemper the sound is amazing, but when i plug my headphone into Focusrite the recording sound is crap.
    Ok i understand the built in headphone amp of Kemper gives high quality sound but it should not make that much difference.

What do yo suggest about interface or settings? Do i have to upgrade my interface into Apollo Twing or RME Babyface or Interface with spdif. I am worried to get crap sound even i upgrade the interface.

Thanks.

• I don't think it is your interface. I have plugged my Kemper into less quality interfaces with excellent results. Review the manual output settings well and make sure you are using a quality profile. If you are using Kemper XLR outs, make sure you are using line level on your interface. The Kemper has the ability to really push a high line signal and I've found you want to give it quite a bit of headroom or it starts to sound a hard to me for some reason. All things together, it should amaze you how well it records. Going direct puts the sound "right in your face" in a good clear way like using expensive mics through API/Neve pre. Maybe better! Look closely, you will find the problem. The only way I have made mine sound bad was either too hot of signal going in or using a crap profile. Check the cabinet status, if that is incorrect, it will be a mess. Are you just using headphones only?

If it sounded good through your headphones on the Kemper, that is a good start to figuring out the problem.

• Hi and welcome :)

How do you listen to the sound after it has passed trough your interface ?

Same headphones as out from Kemper ? Monitors ? ( Brand ? )

Settings in DAW ? What kind of room / room treatment ?

Many things affect the sound ....... :/

Cheers !

EDIT : Sorry, I see now in your first post that you plug your headphones into the interface .......

I se myself out ......:wacko:

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

Edited once, last by Hoki Toki ().

• I am only using headphone to play and tracking, my headphone is AKG K702.
    My signal chain: Guitar into Kemper
    Kemper into Focusrite 2i2 with 2 TRS balanced cable
    Focusrite into my Mac with Type C and Run it with Logic X pro.

I am using ''tonejunkie'' profiles, as i said the sound is very good when i plug my headphone into Kemper Headphone out.
    I am still looking output settings to find problem, and still need advice :)

• Make sure the main outs have cabinet on and that your not using a "no cab" profile or a merged profile with no cab.

That will for sure sound horrible in your interface but good on your Kemper headphones which parallel the monitor out.

• Hi , I´m back 8o

Is input on interface set to "Line" in ? ( If possible .... )

Is output from Kemper set to -12dB ?

How does it sound if you use one TRS cable only ? ( Phase issue ? )

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• I have the same interface, using a Mac Air and GarageBand- I’m using normal guitar cables into the Focusrite though... not balanced. I haven’t tried using the balanced, but frankly it sounds so good I haven’t wanted to try.

One thing I’m not doing is the -12 db thing... seems unnecessary, just set the input gain where you don’t have clipping. Also, don’t set it for “instrument or mic” on the front (small button to the right of the input) as I belief that activates a preamp.

My recent recordings I’ve done by using both inputs simultaneously to take advantage of the stereo effects on the Kemper, usually I record dry into the DAW and use its effects so I can tweak post. Still on the fence as to which sounds better, but it’s always sounded good.