Reamping with a RME Babyface Pro FS

• I have a hypothetical sound design/editing question regarding a potential audio interface replacement.

Is it possible to record a dry guitar signal via Hi-Z (input 3/4), while simultaneously sending a balanced signal from XLR out 1/2 to a reamp box and routing it though an external FX unit/Kemper at amp level, and then finally capturing the processed signal digitally via SPDIF/Toslink back into the Babyface/computer?

Or would I be better off getting a DI box to split the guitar signal between the Hi-Z input and external FX unit/Kemper at amp level, before capturing the outputs?

I know it sounds a bit convoluted, but I have a complicated workflow that involves the use of VST FX and/or VST instruments, plus access to dry signal editing and reamping, etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi, Serendipity,

Get your dry signal from DIRECT OUT.

"sending a balanced signal from XLR out 1/2" ? Kemper Master Outputs and after that, I don't have any specific suggestions. I checked in with RME before I got my RME Babyface Pro FS. I asked about getting a coax to optical converter so I could run S/PDIF. The answer from RME was - "Use the analog inputs, you have four of them. That's simpler, and you will get better results."

I haven't done any recording with the Kemper and RME yet. When I do, I plan to use the analog inputs.

ST

• Thanks for the info. I haven't got hold of one yet, so I am just trying to find out their capability. Interesting about the S/PDIF as my workflow requires 5 AD/DA conversions before I come out of the Kemper, either digitally or analogue.