Optical SPDIF to RCA - from computer to Kemper?

• If I understand this correctly, you can connect the SPDIF on your Kemper directly into a computer's soundcard SPDIF input? If I have an "optical SPDIF" input on my computer then I would need an optical to RCA converter ($10 on Amazon) to connect correctly to the Kemper?

What are the advantages of SPDIF connection from Kemper-->computer over the advantages of TS cable from Kemper--->audio interface--->computer (USB)?

I trying to determine if it is worth getting especially if I want to use all inputs to do; Delay/Verb tracks, DI and re-amping, etc.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• I'm using SPDIF all the time in my little studio, both ways, i.e. for recording of dry & stack or master mono signals as well as for reamping afterwards. In many cases I take the analog ins of my audio interface for special purposes like a non-cab signal for use with IRs in the DAW or exactly as you say it above to record the stereo effects of the Kemper in order to use them in the mix (here mostly the incredible reverbs).

Advantage of SPDIF? No additional conversion of the signal from digital to analog and back. Others here might comment that with a decent interface with decent converters in it you won't be able to hear the difference. I agree with this. If you have a crappy interface it could be a different situation whereby the crappy ones certainly don't have SPDIF then anyways.

Can't comment on your optical-thingy converter. But what I am reading here in other threads that can work but some products are not optimal and create a bit of hassle.

So overall: I love the SPDIF stuff, it works flawlessly, easy and convenient in my situation, gives me up to 4 tracks that I can record from the Kemper at once and all the flexibility along great sound :thumbup:8)

• Thanks! I'm using the Motu M4 (4 inputs). The TR analog sounds fine to me but I may want to go the SPDIF route too. I figure not much of risk to try the optical-rca converter. I should be due to build my next computer in about 10 months or so - I'll make sure the sound card has an rca SPDIF on that one.

• Do I need to connect both the in and out SPDIF on the Kemper to my computer? I only have one single output on my computer, but I understand the single SPDIF Coaxial cable is a least a 2 channel stereo carrier, and the single optical types can carry 8 channels. I'm confused over the need for both an in and out for SPDIF on the Kemper.

• Again, sorry, can't comment on the details on optical SPDIF. I use 2 coax cables all the time. As I do a lot of re-amping with all kinds of signals through the Kemper I need it anyway. Don't remember fully if the second cable is anyway needed for proper digital sync between Kemper and interface. Probably depends a bit on your version Head/Rack vs. Stage and the Master/Slave settings.

Try quick reading through some older threads in this forum via the search function. Recently there was some stuff around SPDIF and optical connection as well.

Maybe others here can comment as well...

• This is from the Main Manual chapter Reamping:

·       Audio and clock signals share one S/PDIF cable per direction of signal transmission. If your PROFILER slaves to an external clock, but sends an audio signal for recording, you will need to connect two S/PDIF cables to avoid crackles and other artefacts. You will also need to connect two cables if the PROFILER is configured as clock master but is receiving an audio signal via S/PDIF. We recommend purchasing two S/PDIF cables and leaving them permanently connected.

• Stay away from S/PDIF for the time being. You have too little knowledge, experience to properly deal with this and the required workarounds you'd currently have to deal with. Save that for the day you'll own an interface with coaxial S/PDIF IO. You can thank me later for the time I just saved you. Go analog and enjoy playing guitar, seriously. :)

• This is from the Main Manual chapter Reamping:

·       Audio and clock signals share one S/PDIF cable per direction of signal transmission. If your PROFILER slaves to an external clock, but sends an audio signal for recording, you will need to connect two S/PDIF cables to avoid crackles and other artefacts. You will also need to connect two cables if the PROFILER is configured as clock master but is receiving an audio signal via S/PDIF. We recommend purchasing two S/PDIF cables and leaving them permanently connected.

Excellent! That is totally clear. Thanks!!

• Stay away from S/PDIF for the time being. You have too little knowledge, experience to properly deal with this and the required workarounds you'd currently have to deal with. Save that for the day you'll own an interface with coaxial S/PDIF IO. You can thank me later for the time I just saved you. Go analog and enjoy playing guitar, seriously. :)

What? Did EVH stay away from tapping because he had too little knowledge of it? EVH obvious had "too little knowledge" of how to plug in a Plexi to the correct rated outlet source, and the rest is history.

• What? Did EVH stay away from tapping because he had too little knowledge of it? EVH obvious had "too little knowledge" of how to plug in a Plexi to the correct rated outlet source, and the rest is history.

Eddie also fried/melted/chainsawed and generally ruined a ton of otherwise perfectly good gear too. But I get both of your points. I guess lightbox is saying don't invest your time in a temporary, possibly hair pulling workaround, wait 'til you've got the correct card. I've got an optical/coax converter but never tried it with the Kemper, I'm probably applying the same logic as lightbox ?