Profiler Amp with double bass?

• Anyone using the Kemper Profiler for double bass? Experiences? Does it work with the usual bass pickups? Is it any use when playing a jazz gig?

I am thinking of buying a Profiler for playing electric bass and guitar, but my main workhorse is actually the double bass.

• No personal experience with double bass here. But I would think it makes sense similar to use with acoustic guitars. You can use a great basis sound and add the incredible effects. In my studio I also use the Kemper to re-amp all kinds of tracks with very different instruments and vocals on it.

By the way: Saw a live video with Apocalyptica playing their Cellos through Kempers on a festival. Look here... no Jazz indeed but interesting use case as well :thumbup:8)

• Thanks everyone for your input.

My impression is that the overall possibilities of the Kemper would indeed offer something valuable to double bass players. I guess, the key difference is that for the electric guitar and bass the amp is part of the characteristic sound of the instrument, whereas double bass players normally expect an amp to reproduce the natural acoustic sound of the instrument. Then again, Apocalyptica...

By the way: Saw a live video with Apocalyptica playing their Cellos through Kempers on a festival. Look here... no Jazz indeed but interesting use case as well :thumbup:8)

... is different, and interesting indeed. In that video, Apocalyptica also seem to be using microphones (dpa?) rather than pickups. I wonder, do they use them as input to the Kemper? Hard to tell...

• Excuse my thinking aloud in this forum... my idea of a setup would be the KPA together with a rather neutral sounding amp (such as an acoustic amp), possibly PowerHead + cab, or PA.

My expectations:

1. Double bass and other acoustic instruments would benefit from neutral amp, good quality EQ and effects rig, monitoring etc.

2. I can still get classic amp-like electric bass and guitar sounds through profiles

Does that make sense?

• my idea of a setup would be the KPA together with a rather neutral sounding amp (such as an acoustic amp)

Not sure what you want to achieve with the redundancy. The KPA can be a very neutral sounding amp or even mimic an acoustic amp. It is just depending on the profile and actually there is good stuff out there for acoustic instruments (and for my case also for vocal and other instrument re-ampings) as well, e.g. profiles of Consoles or Channel Strips.

• Not sure what you want to achieve with the redundancy.

My fault for not expressing myself clearly. In addition to the KPA I would need either a cab (in case of the PowerHead) or combo (with the non-power KPA) to take along to gigs, and to play at home. My idea is to have a single setup for my acoustic and electric instruments.

• Do you have Logic? You can use Match EQ and their Impulse Response Utility to make a custom IR for your bass, which can then be loaded into the Kemper (or any other IR player) as a cab. Also something like a ToneDexter would work - generate a preset with it, then profile that preset with the Kemper.

In both cases, you'd mic up the bass and plug in the pickup, then generate a custom EQ curve/Wavemap (ToneDexter terminology) to make the pickup sound like the mic.