Rig for „Shaft Movie Theme“

• Does anyone know or can share a rig for playing the Shaft Theme?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Looks like a Fender Twin and a Boomerang or Clyde Wah will give you the sound:

Charles "Skipp" Pitts whilst tracking the film used a Maestro Boomerang BG2. Whilst recording the album he used a old Crybaby Clyde McCoy style.

Skipp:

With Isaac Hayes and at Stax I used a Les Paul and 335. I played a Les Paul Custom on the “Theme From Shaft.” I was using a Fender Twin Reverb and Maestro effects.

Guitar Player, the guitar mag for grown ups, July 2011 issue has an interview with Skip Pitts and they talk alot about how the whole Shaft session went.

'I had a Maestro Boomerang wah that I was using on the road. The 'Shaft' part was created because Isaac needed something driving for the beginning of the movie, when Richard Roundtree is coming out of the subway and walking through Times Square. Isaac has drummer Willie Hal lay the sixteenth notes down on the hi-hat. While Willie was doing that, Isaac was searching for something to put with it. I was checking my pedals. I tested my overdrive, my reverb, the Maestro box, and then I started in with the wah. Isaac stopped everything and said 'Skip, what is that you are playing?' I said 'I am just tuning up.' He said, 'Keep playing the G octave'

• a Boomerang or Clyde Wah

yeah Pault is right , the wah choice is fundamental for this kind of tone. I'd say a hollow or semi hollow guitar would help.

My rig has a carefully chosen wah from the presets collection on my wonderful Dakota tube amp from the 70's ( original tubes)

heat it on my super blaxploitation track here : I used this rig extensively on a hollow jazz guitar

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• waraba: sounds very nice.
    think have to add some eq to get it right with my Power-Strat (Ibanez AZ-2204) as i don't own a hollow body. At the momnent it is to bright in toe position and starts to distort.

paults:
    do you know any presets for boomerang or clyde wah?
    at first look i didn't find any.

• The Fulltone Clyde Deluxe pedal has a good "Shaft" preset (along with a "Wacker" and "Jimi") and I uploaded white noise profiles quite a while back.

Try looking in the thread about Wah settings or the like on here .....

• sounds very nice.
    think have to add some eq to get it right with my Power-Strat (Ibanez AZ-2204) as i don't own a hollow body. At the momnent it is to bright in toe position and starts to distort.

Thx :) Then don't forget to adjust gain ( huge usable gain range on this rig) , definition and also play with the vol. of the Ibanez. Wah rig often distort at full guitar volume do to the huge freq boosts.

• I think I used the ' Vox old modded' Wah preset on my track, great vintage wah tone.

you can hear it better on my instrumental here ( still on the Dakota profile with Hollow Jazz box guitar and lots of volume adj.)

External Content soundcloud.com