Kemper in live situation

• Ive been using my Axe Fx live for a few gigs I use output 1 for the FOH and output 2 for my monitor essentially a seperate volume control per output . How would i replicate this on my kemper ?

• You can use monitor out for your monitoring and set its level in the output menu, cab on or off too. You can set it up so the volume knob only adjusts foh, monitor only or both.

I don't think they are independently available from the front of the kemper you just set it in sound check or first song and should be good,

Hope that helps

• I have to say this is one of the disadvantages of an un-powered KPA, because the master is controlling the signal volume for monitoring not the power amp.

The other guitarist in our band has a Helix and he adjusts the output to his powered monitor and then the volume using the monitor...too much bending over for my liking...

• I have to say this is one of the disadvantages of an un-powered KPA, because the master is controlling the signal volume for monitoring not the power amp.

The other guitarist in our band has a Helix and he adjusts the output to his powered monitor and then the volume using the monitor...too much bending over for my liking...

Can't an unpowered Kemper send a main out signal with cab unlinked from the volume control to the board and Monitor out controlled by volume knob to powered speaker or amp/cab? I don't understand any disadvantages besides having to lug a power amp or heavier powered speaker around.

• Can't an unpowered Kemper send a main out signal with cab unlinked from the volume control to the board and Monitor out controlled by volume knob to powered speaker or amp/cab? I don't understand any disadvantages besides having to lug a power amp or heavier powered speaker around.

This.

• ...and you have separate, independent EQs for the mains output and the monitor output. So, you can control the volume and the EQ of the monitor output without affecting what is sent to FOH.

Be Thankful.

• Can't an unpowered Kemper send a main out signal with cab unlinked from the volume control to the board and Monitor out controlled by volume knob to powered speaker or amp/cab? I don't understand any disadvantages besides having to lug a power amp or heavier powered speaker around.

I think Guy is saying that with an unpowered KPA you may need to adjust volume from the external power amp or powered monitor which may ot be situated in as convenient a spot. Adjusting the volume knob on the KPA itself may send a sub optimal level to the input of the next stage and either clip the inout or have poor signal to noise.

• I simply send XLR to HOF and then the jack outputs to our monitoring system. Volume is controlled in the monitoring system so I can get stereo in ears as well as in the venue.

When I used cab on stage it was monitor output to control the volume, but you are limited to mono then.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I think Guy is saying that with an unpowered KPA you may need to adjust volume from the external power amp or powered monitor which may ot be situated in as convenient a spot. Adjusting the volume knob on the KPA itself may send a sub optimal level to the input of the next stage and either clip the inout or have poor signal to noise.

I was saying this but very badly :)

Its a small but important point for me. My master volume controls my power amp. In the unpowered versions, it adjusts to output volume to a power amp and hence you can't easily control your volume this way, you have to use whatever power amp volume.

With a powered monitor, controlling your volume is irritating becuase you have to reach behind the monitor to change the volume...its one reason I don't use a stage and a DXR10.. I see our other guitarist with a Helix doing this, monitor wedge in front of him, constatntly bending over and tweaking the volume which is located at the back of the monitor. So he takes off his guitar, leans the wedge forward to change it...guitar back on...not quite right, guitar off repeat.

Yes I know you can partially control the volume via the input as it has a wide range but I like the fact I don;t have to worry about the input volume to my monitor.

As a said its a small point but for me I like to control my KPA just like a regular amp :)

• I believe that you can uncouple the main and monitor volume, then setup a morph on the monitor volume to control your output to a powered speaker to your liking in real time on stage while leaving the FOH to handle the volume through the mixer.

I am not sure this works since I don't run my rig like this (I have an IEM monitor that I have a separate volume control panel for at my finger tips).

Can someone else verify that this would work?

• I don‘t know what‘s the problem of your other Helix guitarist is.

But you can for sure control the volume of your power amp just by the Profilers Monitor Volume, in a full way. That is what everybody is doing.

Do you fear to overload the input of your power amp?

But you can for sure control the volume of your power amp just by the Profilers Monitor Volume, in a full way. That is what everybody is doing.

You are right, we are probably both highlighting unnecessary fear, but yes that was the concern, either too low an input volume or clipping as a result of overload. BTW the other guitarist mainly controls his volume from his Helix but I see him messing with both regularly.

Maybe this isn't a genuine issue or at such an extreme ends of the scale that its very unlikely, but its no issue with the powered version as the input volume is fixed and its only the power amp I am controlling.

Hope that makes sense.

I also don't understand the Helix guitarist... sounds like he/she doesn't know how to use the Helix. I own a Helix and can confirm I do exactly the same thing on that as I do the Kemper... set the volume knob on the Helix to control the output i'm using for my personal monitor foldback ONLY (FOH send is flat out, unaffected by volume knob). I run the volume control on the back of the monitor speaker at full.

• I also don't understand the Helix guitarist... sounds like he/she doesn't know how to use the Helix. I own a Helix and can confirm I do exactly the same thing on that as I do the Kemper... set the volume knob on the Helix to control the output i'm using for my personal monitor foldback ONLY (FOH send is flat out, unaffected by volume knob). I run the volume control on the back of the monitor speaker at full.

I'm doing him a dis-service.

Majority of the time he controls the volume from his big dial. I also see him fiddling with the volume on the powered Alto monitors ( dual), as he volumes off before switching off and volumes on for start up.

As stated, its a minor point....I don't crawl around on the floor adjusting volumes at all...so to me, its an advantage of a powered unit (hence why I also prefer the rack/toaster), but its personal preference . Its all controlled through the master volume without any risk of clipping or under output to my monitors.

If this is a misconception ( i.e. no issue) my bad, but usually the input volume is a factor, albeit not a major one in the output sound. Too low ( which I have done FOH before by accident) and ended up with drop outs etc. Too high and it clips. My misconception ( which I fully admit I've not tried and tested) is whether in practice this is an issue. Sounds like its not...

• Here is my concern before I go buy my first Kemper.

I’ve playing Boogies for 45 years but my present rig of a Quad with a 50/50, ground control pro with the GCX, TC Electronics effects, and a Furman, in a shock absorber rack weighs in at least 300 -400 pounds.
    My main guitar is a Les Paul.

Plus I have 2 Boogie extension cabinets I run in stereo.

The rig sounds perfect but a pain in the ass to haul around.

The Kemper seems like a great way to reduce my load in/load out and still deliver pro sounds.

But if I can’t get my Boogie tones, and some of the high end profiles available with the Kemper, I’m not dumping my Boogie. I have not used distortion / overdrive pedals for 45 years....all my overdrive sounds come from the Boogie. I use a clean sound a lot, but soaring and sustaining lead riffs is my sweet spot. There is no way that I will settle for a Kemper if it sounds like digital distortion.

By the way, my present gig is smaller gigs with smaller PAs, so going through the fronts is not an option. I will send a little to FOH, but I need sound pressure behind me.

So, my Kemper will be behind me and must fill the stage.

I plan on using an amp to drive a FRFR (maybe 2 for stereo).

So, if I go to Kemper, will I miss my Boogie?

• p.s.

I’ve been doing deep research on the Kemper for the past 6 months.
    I know who does the best (and worst) profiles and some of the problems with using something other than a FRFR cabinet for stage monitoring.
    But I have not heard much input from successful cover band lead players who used Boogies or Marshalls and moved to Kemper without IEMs with no regrets.
    I need a big stage sound like I have now with my Boogie rig.

• I’ve been playing Boogies since 1984 and still have all of them. I used to play loud on stage but don’t anymore but plenty of people do use the Kemper that way.

First thing to note - if you have a sound you are really happy with at the moment don’t worry about high end commercial profiles. Just profile your own rig your self. It is super easy and you won’t be able to tell the difference in a blind test. Actually, there can be slight differences but in most cases I found I preferred the profile to my real Boogies.

If you want to move air and you are only interested in a limited number of amp tones then using traditional guitar cabs is an option. Have never liked 412 cabs so always used a pair of Thiels ported Mesa 112 loaded with EVM12L speakers which also have the advantage of being relatively easy to move around. Another option might be to use the Kemper Kabinet or a couple of Kones in your own cab. Both of these options wIll still need a separate power amp. I run the Powered Kemper for when I want a speaker on stage but it is only mono and you want stereo. As far as sound is concerned I don miss my Stereo 2;ninety though (or the weight of the bloody thing).

If you want to go down the full FRFR route these mostly include the power amp already.