Kemper in live situation

• A profile done correctly will at least match and often outperform your amp. Top ears of world class famous guitar producers cannot tell the difference between the Kemper and their very own amp they have heard a thousand times.. Many times they will pick the Kemper and say "That's my amp because it sounds the best" and then are shocked to see it was the Kemper. When the Kemper was designed it was made so if the profile does not sound exactly like your amp miced, it's not the fault of the Kemper, but your profiling technique because it CAN profile it so well you would not be able to tell the difference. Of course you can rely on others with great mics, techniques and preamps to do it for you. So if done properly, the only thing you will miss about your rig is back pain. I know this is user preference and my opinion but I had a quad and a 50/50 for a couple years and I guarantee I can do way more and have tons more equivalent and better tones with a powered toaster.

Just a question, If you play live, why would you want a stereo rig? Don't you want people on both sides of the room to hear the same thing?

• I use my Kemper live almost exclusively and I came from an ENGL rig. I never use external pedals and only use amp gain myself.

To start I'm not going to say that the KPA will definitely meet your needs because sound is subjective, especially when your benchmark is so high. I can only tell you my views and experience, which I summarise as - I've never looked back.

Couple of comments from me

1. I would never rely on the backline regardless of size of gig - not from a volume perspective but spread ( not across the stage but to the back of the room). In any case, this is the main benefit of the KPA - straight into the desk, instant consistent FOH sound.
    2. The KPA will not sound the same and you will waste time trying to get it 100%. Why? Because even psychologically you will have rose tinted specs on and always think it doesn't sound as good. Its difficult to remove your "eyes" from the equation if that makes sense. However, I think my KPA sounds better because I'm not restricted to my ENGL - I have access to hundreds of amps and thousands of profiles.
    3. The convenience factor is massive to me. I would have accepted a slightly lower quality sound for convenience BUT turns out I prefer my KPA PLUS massive flexibility. Variable boosts for solos, any effects you can think of etc. If you are used to stereo then fine but I've always stuck with mono.
    4. FRFR is different. Some like it, some don't. Its a more "accurate" sound as cabs add a massive colour to the sound. FRFR shows everything which is good because you can change cabs and profiles and really hear the difference but for some it can be too pure and they like the "feel" of a cab. Regardless you can use the KPA with both.
    5. Digital distortion - The Kpa and all the new crop of digital kit are way better than the first generation and so definately not digital in terms of feel or sound BUT.....set up will always be important. The KPA is easy ( I think) to get quick results but it depends on how picky you are to replicate the sound you have been used to for 45 years :)

Will you miss your Boogie? If you have the same experience as I did then....Yes to start with as you get used to the shift in thinking and approach but when you hear the tones on offer, you'll then get lost in options and arrive at sounds you love. Then you'll listen to your old Boogie and wonder why you liked it at all. As Alan said, plus you can profile your Boogie so no reason to "lose" it anyway!!

Hope that helps...

• I have had 3 different flagship ENGLs. Loved them. But do not miss them and won't as long as my Kemper breathes. I can easily get recorded tones that took some work to do with my ENGLs. No more tubes to worry about either. People that sell tube amps may become like VCR rental stores. I'm guessing they would dislike a Kemper and say it sounds "fake".

• A profile done correctly will at least match and often outperform your amp. Top ears of world class famous guitar producers cannot tell the difference between the Kemper and their very own amp they have heard a thousand times.. Many times they will pick the Kemper and say "That's my amp because it sounds the best" and then are shocked to see it was the Kemper. When the Kemper was designed it was made so if the profile does not sound exactly like your amp miced, it's not the fault of the Kemper, but your profiling technique because it CAN profile it so well you would not be able to tell the difference. Of course you can rely on others with great mics, techniques and preamps to do it for you. So if done properly, the only thing you will miss about your rig is back pain. I know this is user preference and my opinion but I had a quad and a 50/50 for a couple years and I guarantee I can do way more and have tons more equivalent and better tones with a powered toaster.

Just a question, If you play live, why would you want a stereo rig? Don't you want people on both sides of the room to hear the same thing?

Thanks Dynochrome for your input!

I like stereo to just make it fun for me on stage. It does not go to house.

I like a big wide stereo chorus and occasionally ping pong my delays. My speaker separation is maybe 10 feet at the most and both aimed at me. I have also played with a wet/dry/wet setup too. My favorite affect is using a stereo rotary speaker that gets kinda close to a leslie sound.

Wishing you the best!

• I went from a VHT UL, 4x12 and 2x12 VHT cab to the Kemper DI into the PA with IEM's.

I was in the same boat as you in that I just hated the load in and load out of my guitar rig. I wanted to downsize and was (just like V8guitar) even willing to lose a bit of tone to get there.

Since I use IEM's (and don't play many leads as I am also the singer in the band), the "amp in the room" feel wasn't a big thing for me.

I have several friends that had big tube rigs (even stereo as you discuss) that now run a Kemper live after a few times out with me on a gig. The sound through the PA is simply perfect.

Now, for guys that like the sound of a 4x12 on stage (or two 4x12's), I would recommend a pair of Kemper Kabinets with a Kemper power head (I prefer the rack, but others may like having a traditional head unit), and of course, the Kemper foot controller.

If that is too rich for your blood, then a Kemper Stage with a DXR10 will do the trick nicely. You could still get the Kemper Stage and a Kemper Kabinet, but you would also need to purchase an amp. If you search the forum, you can find lots of good, small amps that work well with the Kabinet for <$400.

I have not missed a thing about my tube amp rig.

FWIW, I always love the sound of a Mesa Boogie (I like the 1x12 combo and Mark IIc head the best).

Can you find someone in your area that has a Kemper to come over and profile your amp and let you play for a while? That would certainly take some of the scary monsters out of going digital ;).

• Thanks Dynochrome for your input!

I like stereo to just make it fun for me on stage. It does not go to house.

I like a big wide stereo chorus and occasionally ping pong my delays. My speaker separation is maybe 10 feet at the most and both aimed at me. I have also played with a wet/dry/wet setup too. My favorite affect is using a stereo rotary speaker that gets kinda close to a leslie sound.

Wishing you the best!

I totally understand. I have always just been fearful of being onstage with an awesome stereo sound killing it, chin in the air wailing on a solo thinking it sounds amazing, meanwhile out front it does not sound as good. I always want to be reassured it sounds better to the FOH Than it does in my monitor. If I have a mono mix out front, I try to get the stage sound exactly like people will hear so I know what's up. That being said, the importance of making it sound good to the artist on stage is paramount. I have never been that "professional" to where if it sounds like crap, I can just go on and do my thing. My performance depends on how good it sounds to ME and if it sounds good, I'll have a good night. That being said I can't tell you how many times I've felt I had sub standard tone or performance then a fan tells me afterward how great thing were then I get upset because I feel like they were BSing me. Then I have nights where I think its amazing and amazing tone and someone would say "I really couldn't hear the guitar that well". Grrr.

• We mostly play and practice in what we call our "studio". It is a room that'll hold about 100 people. Has a bar, a big dance floor, lots of seating, and a nice big stage. PA for vocals only.

I used to run a PRS Custom 50 combo, with an added 2x12 to make a 3x12. Lovely!

The last 3 years I've been running the Kemper with FRFR, and have used DXR10, XiTone MBritt, and over the last year the Bose L1 MII.

I had the get used to the lack of "pant flapping" on stage in favour of that "recorded" sound. As others have noted the upside is that the audience is hearing what you hear, and it sounds awesome.

Since pandemic has scuttled that scenario I have acquired 2 Kabinets and a stereo power amp (Seymour Duncan PS700).

With this setup I'll be able to run stereo when I like (or can), or mono single or stacked Kabinets if that is a better fit.

The best thing about this is that the "pant flapping" is back.

Can't wait to try it out at our "studio". Likely next month.

• My performance depends on how good it sounds to ME and if it sounds good, I'll have a good night. That being said I can't tell you how many times I've felt I had sub standard tone or performance then a fan tells me afterward how great thing were then I get upset because I feel like they were BSing me. Then I have nights where I think its amazing and amazing tone and someone would say "I really couldn't hear the guitar that well". Grrr.

YES, totally and been there and there is more psychology going on than we think. I had to be told I sounded good before I believed it. Now I don;t question it. Even if it doesn;t sound quite right, I make the assumption its in my mind than actually and hence I play better and never stress about it The good thing is the KPA is consistant. No valve variance or mike placement etc.

• You know the best thing to do is get one and profile your own rig, that’s what I’ve done and it’s really the only profiles I use. It’s perfect.

I'm fine with using others well done. I have some great sounding Marshalls, but they don't sound any better than profiles I've bought. Most of the time I struggle getting miked sounds from them that I can get easily just by using the Kemper. To me the most difficult part of using a Kemper is deciding what amps to use from a HUGE pallet. Normally when you buy an amp (even something with a huge range like a Freidman BE Deluxe or Engle SE) you still are restricted to a certain range and type of overdrive and clean that can be produced. Not so with a Kemper. The easiest part of using a Kemper is getting great sounds to tape or console. All of a sudden those challenges are gone, and my 57, I5, Spark and 421 have little use to me.

• I totally understand. I have always just been fearful of being onstage with an awesome stereo sound killing it, chin in the air wailing on a solo thinking it sounds amazing, meanwhile out front it does not sound as good. I always want to be reassured it sounds better to the FOH Than it does in my monitor. If I have a mono mix out front, I try to get the stage sound exactly like people will hear so I know what's up. That being said, the importance of making it sound good to the artist on stage is paramount. I have never been that "professional" to where if it sounds like crap, I can just go on and do my thing. My performance depends on how good it sounds to ME and if it sounds good, I'll have a good night. That being said I can't tell you how many times I've felt I had sub standard tone or performance then a fan tells me afterward how great thing were then I get upset because I feel like they were BSing me. Then I have nights where I think its amazing and amazing tone and someone would say "I really couldn't hear the guitar that well". Grrr.

1 Just try and get someone to record the show. Even a phone recording will tell you something about how you fit into the mix.

2 Try and stand out front for a brief part of soundcheck to hear yourself alone and then with the band.

3 Ask the FOH engineer to tell you if relative levels are about right and if they needed any corrective eq.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• You know the best thing to do is get one and profile your own rig, that’s what I’ve done and it’s really the only profiles I use. It’s perfect.

I agree, your own profiles will be your best. You can certainly find some good ones (I don't purchase anymore, thats another subject) in the free Exchange, but by the time you tweak they all start to sound the same anyway.

As mentioned above, FRFR is very different and you can possibly look at this way as offering many more tweaking options, starting with cabinet choice. When I gig with the Kemper power head, I use the house real cabinet or my own V30 2x12 and I am happy with the results. I think the Kemper is outstanding in handling real cabinets. I also sent to FOH if available with a V30 cab in the Profile section only to be used by FOH Main XLR.

• I tried a couple FRFR speakers including the Kone, I like the F12-200X best for FRFR, but prefer the real cab scenario using V30s.

I have both earlier English V30 and Chinese V30 and found them to be too colored for me in the mids. I could never get them to agree with the studio out section. Cool that they work for you. I have a love/hate thing about V30s anyway as they change the sound a lot sometimes in a very good way and sometimes not. For me with a Kemper-not so much. But I disliked Greenbacks too with the Kemper even though these two are my faves with tube amps. One or the other will work for me normally. With a 515O III greenbacks/lynchback. With ENGL, V30. Although sometimes a Stock Marshall cab 75 is cool too but I never tried them with my Kemper.

• I have both earlier English V30 and Chinese V30 and found them to be too colored for me in the mids. I could never get them to agree with the studio out section. Cool that they work for you. I have a love/hate thing about V30s anyway as they change the sound a lot sometimes in a very good way and sometimes not. For me with a Kemper-not so much. But I disliked Greenbacks too with the Kemper even though these two are my faves with tube amps. One or the other will work for me normally. With a 515O III greenbacks/lynchback. With ENGL, V30. Although sometimes a Stock Marshall cab 75 is cool too but I never tried them with my Kemper.

I too find the V30 coloring the Kemper mids and I tend to pull them back with an EQ. Do you find the CL80 speakers to have better mids or do they just scoop them out more?

• I too find the V30 coloring the Kemper mids and I tend to pull them back with an EQ. Do you find the CL80 speakers to have better mids or do they just scoop them out more?

They seem to be very neutral but not bland to me. Lots of punch and full sound.I discovered they were the best to my ears after trying several and comparing them to profiles I liked direct. MB suggested them and that led me back to them. About 20 years ago I had one in a 1x12 after a recommendation by Celestion, and people used to say it was the best sounding 1x12 they have ever heard. I never got such compliments when friends tried the same cab with any other speaker. Coming back to it, I'm glad I did. I really don't EQ with them at all.

• They seem to be very neutral but not bland to me. Lots of punch and full sound.I discovered they were the best to my ears after trying several and comparing them to profiles I liked direct. MB suggested them and that led me back to them. About 20 years ago I had one in a 1x12 after a recommendation by Celestion, and people used to say it was the best sounding 1x12 they have ever heard. I never got such compliments when friends tried the same cab with any other speaker. Coming back to it, I'm glad I did. I really don't EQ with them at all.

Thanks...I will give one a try.

• Thanks...I will give one a try.

I don't think there is anything to dislike about one and to me they kinda get pushed to the back of discussions by Greenbacks, V30s and GT-65s. I think they are a great speaker that really doesn't impart a real flavor but lets your amp do the flavoring. It's not "flat" sounding, just not very "colored". I would probably trade all the speakers I have now for them if I could including my English made V30s.