One of my old tracks recorded with KPA and Slate Drums

• Antichrist

So here is a link to a song I wrote about 5 or 6 years ago, I finally got round to recording it and I think it came out ok. I'm not a singer so the vocals aren't too strong and their are a few glitches in the drums that I need to fix but I don't think it's too bad production-wise. The KPA gave my really useable guitar sounds that fit into a mix really nicely, with other units I had to use drastic EQ and then it still didn't sound right to me. I also think that the Slate Drums kick ass, they can really bring a mix to life.

Anyway I should be recording more tracks now I've got everything working to my taste so please let me know what you think?

I'll upload higher quality versions shortly as SoundCloud has a habit of killing dynamics.

Cheers

Spence

Higher Quality Downloads

FLAC

Mp3

• Thanks for the nice feedback guys, really appreciate it.

Very Nice. And don´t worry about the vocals. Just use a decent manual pitch correction like everybody else does today and you will be fine.

Cool man, do you have any recommendations?

Cheers

Spence

• Spence,

this is really good playing and a good song. I mean it - most of the time I listen to samples out of curiosity, this one I really like.

I totally agree on the guitar sound and the SSD.
    What is your workflow/setup?

Hendrik

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Hey Hendrik,

thanks for your feedback :)

As for my setup, I run a Les Paul into my KPA, KPA into my Motu 8pre via XLR. That routes into Presonus Studio One running on Windows 7. I have Slate Digital running one of the Rock Drum Presets, I tweaked a few levels just to work better with the track but didn't change the EQ. All recorded tracks (Bass, Guitars, Vocals) have Slate Virtual Channel Console Plugin on the track. I try to get away with as little compression as possible, in the mix I think the vocals are compressed and the Bass is pretty much smashed into next week using waves L2. I didn't compress drums or guitars here, for me it gives them more space and I appreciate the extra dynamics if everything is recorded well. I try to keep track EQs pretty simple, most of the time I get away with a single UAD neve 1082 or similar, it limits my options for endless tweaking, which is where I end up if I start using parametric EQs. I have some FX buses setup with a Room Verb, Vocal Plate and Vocal Delay, don't think I used anything else here. On the master track I have Slate Digital VCC Mixbus plugin first then run into Waves SSL compressor to glue everything together. Another UAD 1082 EQ with a high shelf for shine and a cut at around 500Hz to clear some mud. I then compressed with Waves L2 and then again with Waves L3 just to get a little more out of the track.

I hope that goes someway to explaining what's going on :)

Spence

• Melodyne has the most advanced algorhythms and is even capacle of corrceting poyphonic stuff.

For my stuff i only use VariAudio that is built in into Cubase. Very easy but also quite powerful. I think there are many good solutions but i would not go for something that does pitch corrcetion "on the fly". With manual editing of all notes you have way more control.

• Melodyne has the most advanced algorhythms and is even capacle of corrceting poyphonic stuff.

For my stuff i only use VariAudio that is built in into Cubase. Very easy but also quite powerful. I think there are many good solutions but i would not go for something that does pitch corrcetion "on the fly". With manual editing of all notes you have way more control.

Just tested a trial of Melodyne, holy crap! This thing's great, it makes me sound good :) Really appreciate the recommendation.

I'll post a new version with tweak vocals once I'm finished.

Spence