Getting Great OD tones with Green Scream?

• When using some very clean profiles (think Fender Princeton), what is the secrent sauce for sticking an OD before the amp to deliver that sweet, TS808 style lead tone? Each time I try this, it sounds really bad, thin and no where near like a real pedal. Am I asking too much here with this one or should I just use a profile that has been profiled with OD / breakup from the amp?

Cheers

Duncs

• Are you dialing down the tone option? The Scream is pretty shrill. Try adding a second "more darker" distortion to the chain. Cut back gain on the first one and then just barely add gain on the second, and manipulate both tones to get a warmer sound.

I have done this with multiple DAW plugins, and have done it in one of my rigs so far. Works great! Just add a noise gate in front.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited once, last by BayouTexan ().

• Using the Green Scream into a high gain tone does pretty much the same thing as my Ibanez TS9. That is minimum drive setting and tone mid in my case. It just controls the low end of of the guitar signal nicely.

I wouldn't think it was the best choice of overdrive pedal or Kemper effect to actually break up the signal though.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

this one right here

• You're right of course, but we all have different idea of a good tone:-)

I meant its a great way to start to understand/hear,, the new overdrives,, Starting with a semi clean amp,That's a proven, tone winner,( its on over 100 of my tunes,TV Film etc), overdrive pedal,,then go from there,,

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

this one right here

I searched the author but did not produce this as results. Only a "MorganAC20" and a Tele Morgan.

• It is on Rig Exchange, but, also a Kemper Factory Rig.

Morgan AC20 (1) by rmpacheco, uploaded to RE on 2012-04-15.

I was wondering because that is not what he called it in the video and the name was different too. It's pretty cool, but I still prefer the MBJJmatch or MB/13 for that type of sound. I see both profiles("MorganAC20" and a Tele Morgan) were with a tele, I'll have to try it with mine and it will likely change a lot. I was trying it with my 69 goldtop with PAF pro which is a very neutral clear and snappy pickup that comes close to SC pickups in terms of clarity so I was getting a pretty good idea.

• I tried both and they were pretty good with my les paul and I kinda knew that with the tone I was getting a Tele would be a better match, then tried the one called "Tele Morgan" with my tele and it was fantastic! I juiced up the delay that was with it (kind of a nicely done double)a bit and it was super fun to play! It recorded amazing also right off the bat. Hard to put down I played it for 1-1/2 hours! Real clear and "gingy" like I like a tele to be yet juicy and thick. Sounded great on the neck pickup too. The two rigs have different pre slots loaded.

Thank you so much for turning me on to these Unclemar, at first I wasn't that impressed, but with the intended guitar it was great! I'm definitely keeping this on the top of a single coil favorite list that will be tough to knock off. I've been playing since 77 and have never went on a journey like this with a piece of gear. I just keep figuring it out and finding better and better amps that are the "sound in my head". Very cool. There are just SO MANY sounds in this thing!

• I tried both and they were pretty good with my les paul and I kinda knew that with the tone I was getting a Tele would be a better match, then tried the one called "Tele Morgan" with my tele and it was fantastic! I juiced up the delay that was with it (kind of a nicely done double)a bit and it was super fun to play! It recorded amazing also right off the bat. Hard to put down I played it for 1-1/2 hours! Real clear and "gingy" like I like a tele to be yet juicy and thick. Sounded great on the neck pickup too. The two rigs have different pre slots loaded.

Thank you so much for turning me on to these Unclemar, at first I wasn't that impressed, but with the intended guitar it was great! I'm definitely keeping this on the top of a single coil favorite list that will be tough to knock off. I've been playing since 77 and have never went on a journey like this with a piece of gear. I just keep figuring it out and finding better and better amps that are the "sound in my head". Very cool. There are just SO MANY sounds in this thing!

7 years for me and everyday I walk into the studio, and see it sitting there I smile,,Happy Holiday Kemper family,,,

• When using some very clean profiles (think Fender Princeton), what is the secrent sauce for sticking an OD before the amp to deliver that sweet, TS808 style lead tone? Each time I try this, it sounds really bad, thin and no where near like a real pedal. Am I asking too much here with this one or should I just use a profile that has been profiled with OD / breakup from the amp?

Cheers

Duncs

As mentioned, this isn;t ( I don;t think) how many people use a TS808. As a distortion pedal, its not great, but its not how its generally used, as stated above..most people use it with an amp at the edge of break up.

SRV typically had his cleanish amps cranked and pushed them with a TS. Personally I think its to make up for difficiency in the gain stages of classic amps but its defintley a different sound to a high gain amp.

Suits his "dig in hard" style though...Im not that good so I need more gain to hide my playing :)