8.0.3.23702 Public Beta

• They made some changes to the volume compensation when using distortion effects. Let's see if it works better.

Would love to read users opinions.

• FYI: I have RM 3.0.145.16429 installed.

After two errors during the transfer process (and my retrying) the third attempt completed the download and transfer process and reached the "Applying Software Update. This might take a few minutes."

Nothing was happening for at least eight minutes, and the Cancel option was greyed out.

Patience. I was about to try to terminate what appeared to be a permanent update stall (the update process never starting) when the profiler screen did finally indicate "Updating PROFILER".

The Update completed and KPA restarted. All is A-OK it seems.

• They made some changes to the volume compensation when using distortion effects. Let's see if it works better.

Would love to read users opinions.

Yes!

While the AMP volume compensation for low gain settings is still in place, it is defeated for the volume knobs in effects placed before the AMP.

This allows for a familiar volume and boost/attenuation setting for distortion pedals.

Tell me what you think!

• Yes!

While the AMP volume compensation for low gain settings is still in place, it is defeated for the volume knobs in effects placed before the AMP.

This allows for a familiar volume and boost/attenuation setting for distortion pedals.

Tell me what you think!

Fantastic! Seems like a little step but in fact is a giant leap for me - so much more options coming from distortion effects before the amp.
    Thanks a lot for implementing!

• any reason for this ?
    changed: Tuner and Harmonic Pitch display keys in B instead of #

99% of all tuners in the world working with #.

Someone suggested this in the feature request subforum. They made a good point that guitarists are more likely to tune down from standard tuning, rather than up. Guns'N'Roses fans will rejoice!

• any reason for this ?
    changed: Tuner and Harmonic Pitch display keys in B instead of #

99% of all tuners in the world working with #.

It seems obvious to me that modern tuners dedicated to electric guitarists strongly lean towards the „b“ choice.

I have a hard time to find „#“ tuners in this domain. And it totally makes sense to me. That‘s why we have changed it.

• It seems obvious to me that modern tuners dedicated to electric guitarists strongly lean towards the „b“ choice.

I have a hard time to find „#“ tuners in this domain. And it totally makes sense to me. That‘s why we have changed it.

Well, not only the tuners but also because of the "nomenclature" we use to refer to tunings. For example we all refer to Hendrix or SRV tuning their strats in Eb not in D#.

It always seemed strange to me that Kemper tuner was in # but nothing that one could not get used to. There probably was a reason behind that (and I know now that other tuners work that way)...but I never knew it.

• Thank you all at Kemper for the tuner fix!

Am I to understand that previously when using a distortion/overdrive before the amp, turning the volume up on that pedal was being "leveled" or normalized in some way and now it acts more like putting a real pedal before the amp allowing for a more natural or slight volume boost on gainer sounds?

I say slight because we all know (in a "real" amp ) putting a distortion pedal in front of a clean amp can really boost volume but even putting a cranked tubescreamer in front of a gain cranked Marshall only gives a slight volume boost not really enough for a stand alone solo boost. That has always been an issue for me, using a "boost" pedal live was never enough, I needed a dual master as well. And then I needed different dual master levels for boosting clean and dirty tones which is why even 4 channel tube amps with dual masters wasn't enough to give me what I wanted without compromise. That's why I love units like a Kemper. I despise compromising live. I want what I want and I want it now with one button press!

I just want to fully understand what has been changed here. Did I miss reading something that completely explains this change? I understood that Kemper compensated (normalized?) volumes so that changing gain on the amp attempted to keep the volume the same but I'm guessing people didn't want that normalization to govern over the distortion/overdrive pre amplifier pedals?

• I'm guessing people didn't want that normalization to govern over the distortion/overdrive pre amplifier pedals?

That is exactly it. At least some people. It worked in a way that was not as a pedal in front of an amp. Of course the volume compensation has many advantages so let's see if this new beta makes things good in every possible way.

Still didn't test it.

• I agree that the volume comp thing is a real asset but then again I see why pedal people wouldn't want that to happen with a pedal to produce familiar results. As I wrote in the previous post, In a "real" tube amp, driving the front of a gain cranked amp produces less of a volume boost than driving into a clean amp so I wonder if the beta change acts the same way?

That's something I always couldn't stand when using my 1983 JCM 800 live. To get a real volume boost for lead out of a tubescreamer, I had to have the gain set lower than I wanted for rhythm. If I had the gain cranked, the pedal would barely boost the volume, but with the gain at noon I could get a bit of a volume boost. Compromise- bad. So in a way, I wouldn't want pedals to act like they do in the real world, but with the Kemper, either way would work for me as I could boost the volume somewhere else if needed.

• Regarding the flats/sharps tuner, im guessing the original logic behind this is that the most commonly used keys in “guitar” music are G,C,D,A,E (probably in that order) hence the CAGED approach, therefore using keys that employ sharps rather than flats so, dealing “musically correct” with these keys, there are no flats in these keys only sharps.

However, as for tuning, more often than not, we tune the instrument down and think in terms of “flats”

Thought for the day- do you “tune up” your guitar or “tune down”.

One is a common phrase and the other is a common choice....

Ps. Happy Christmas and No complaints with the latest implementation